Author Topic: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?  (Read 38942 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:21 pm »
nobody call suedes turnips?

Suede turnips?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »
I checked "Other" because most of the places I eat, especially when I visit my dad, the problem isn't portions that are too small, it's portions that are too large. And it isn't always convenient to take your leftovers home with you.

No wonder the U.S. now has more people who are clinically obese than merely overweight. At least, I think that's what I heard a day or so ago.

On the other hand, in a "nice" restaurant I will never order "medallions of veal" again. I did once. ... The menu made the dish sound yummo. When it arrived, I had three or four pieces of meat each the size of a quarter.  >:(  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 06:49:45 pm »
Suede turnips?  ???
oops spelling!!

swedes = turnips = rutabagas
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2009, 07:21:21 pm »

I've seen this soda, and never tried it.  I always say "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwh" when I see it.   :laugh:

Funny, I was just at Rein's, a wonderful deli just outside of Hartford, CT, this past weekend, and they had Cel-Ray soda (not to mention killer pastrami).  Dr. Brown's also makes root beer, black cherry, and cream soda.  Here's what Wiki has to say:

"Dr Brown's Cel-Ray soda is a soft drink with a celery flavor. It is fairly easy to find in New York City. Outside the New York City region, it is rather obscure but can sometimes be found at Jewish delicatessens and restaurants. In addition, it can be found at certain grocers that specialize in American food in Israel, and other specialty grocers.

The flavor is reminiscent of ginger ale, but with a more pronounced celery flavor that is more pungent or peppery, derived from celery seed extract."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »
Maybe you should buy a can and taste it for us Chuck. If it makes you ralph, I'll send you a bottle of Pepto Bismol compliments of moi. ;)

Oh sure!  make me the sacrificial lamb!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:22 pm »
So then it really isn't carbonated celery juice. It tastes like a peppery ginger ale. That probably wouldn't taste too bad then. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2009, 09:19:22 pm »
Funny, I was just at Rein's, a wonderful deli just outside of Hartford, CT, this past weekend, and they had Cel-Ray soda (not to mention killer pastrami).  Dr. Brown's also makes root beer, black cherry, and cream soda.  Here's what Wiki has to say:

"Dr Brown's Cel-Ray soda is a soft drink with a celery flavor. It is fairly easy to find in New York City. Outside the New York City region, it is rather obscure but can sometimes be found at Jewish delicatessens and restaurants. In addition, it can be found at certain grocers that specialize in American food in Israel, and other specialty grocers.

The flavor is reminiscent of ginger ale, but with a more pronounced celery flavor that is more pungent or peppery, derived from celery seed extract."

I'm rather fond of the flavour of celery. My Mum's home-made vegetable soup had celery in it. It lifted the flavour and made it lighter on the palate. There's a very distinctive celery flavour in V8 vegetable juice too, which I love. Yumbo!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2009, 09:54:48 pm »
swedes = turnips = rutabagas

I like turnips.  :D  Never had rutabagas, though.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 10:15:11 pm »
V-8 juice is the work of the devil! 

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »
V-8 juice is the work of the devil! 

:laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν