The World Beyond BetterMost > The Culture Tent

In the New Yorker...

(1/706) > >>

Front-Ranger:
There were three very interesting articles in The New Yorker this week.

First was Strange Stones, about two men who travelled through China.

Then, "Barney's Great Adventure" about Rep. Barney Frank.

Third is a story by Joyce Carol Oates. I have never liked or finished reading one of her stories until now. But I found "Pumpkin Head" to be very engrossing.

New Yorker is now available digitally! I will post links for those who subscribe.

serious crayons:
Thanks for the recommendations, FRiend. I hadn't got past the table of contents. I'm still trying to make it through the past few weeks' issues, (very slowly) reading a piece about the history of the Village Voice.

But I like the idea of a thread in which we talk about articles we've read in the New Yorker that we found interesting. I almost never read entire issues, so suggestions could help me narrow it down more efficiently.

Lynne:
Thanks from me too, FRiend Lee.

I have been meaning to get a subscription to The New Yorker.  Online now, hunh?  I also have never been one to get into Joyce Carol Oates, but now I'm intrigued.

:-*

BelAir:
Online links would be great...

I too thought about subscribing, but in the end didn't, because I knew it would take me forever to get through the issues and I would generate lots and lots of paper waste..

serious crayons:

--- Quote from: BelAir on January 11, 2009, 02:20:12 pm ---Online links would be great...

I too thought about subscribing, but in the end didn't, because I knew it would take me forever to get through the issues and I would generate lots and lots of paper waste..

--- End quote ---

Well, you're right about both. But it's fun to find something besides bills in your mailbox each week. And it's some of the best magazine journalism in the country!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version