Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913089 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1700 on: June 13, 2017, 06:57:36 pm »
I saw that cartoon. I wondered if it was supposed to be a parody of one author in particular.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1701 on: June 13, 2017, 07:55:59 pm »
"how he stares rapturously into that electronic device - he must have a keen grasp of technology, and so many important  things to do."

:laughs:

reminds me of this.....

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1702 on: June 14, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »
I'm currently reading Margaret Talbot's article about opioid addiction in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and I'm about to give up on it because it's another one that I think is longer than it needs to be.

Just too many words. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1703 on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:33 am »
I'm currently reading Margaret Talbot's article about opioid addiction in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and I'm about to give up on it because it's another one that I think is longer than it needs to be.

Just too many words. ...

I've decided to finish the Talbot article anyway.

But I'm really looking forward to the article about "St. Augustine and the Invention of Sex" in the next issue!  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1704 on: June 15, 2017, 04:42:06 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1705 on: June 15, 2017, 05:02:25 pm »
David Sedaris' piece on his mother's alcoholism is remarkable on several levels. 1) Straightforwardly, it's his own story of sadness and loss. 2) Less directly (possibly not even deliberately -- I can't tell) it's his mother's story. That a woman who was used to having six children sit around with her at the dinner table every night to hear her stories and hang on her every word, eventually reduced to living alone with a man who sounds kind of annoying -- it's not surprising her alcoholism took a turn for the worse and her moods turned angry. Sedaris always portrays himself in his writing as obnoxiously self-centered and oblivious to others' feelings, but his essays show this isn't true. 3) You know how in Norah Ephron's family everyone always said "Everything is copy"? In David Sedaris' family, clearly the tradition was that you could embellish a true story if it made it better/funnier. Sedaris has been criticized for not adhering strictly to the truth in his supposedly nonfiction essays, but he's the one writer I can forgive for this. Now I know why!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1706 on: June 15, 2017, 06:47:24 pm »
David Sedaris' piece on his mother's alcoholism is remarkable on several levels. 1) Straightforwardly, it's his own story of sadness and loss. 2) Less directly (possibly not even deliberately -- I can't tell) it's his mother's story. That a woman who was used to having six children sit around with her at the dinner table every night to hear her stories and hang on her every word, eventually reduced to living alone with a man who sounds kind of annoying -- it's not surprising her alcoholism took a turn for the worse and her moods turned angry. Sedaris always portrays himself in his writing as obnoxiously self-centered and oblivious to others' feelings, but his essays show this isn't true. 3) You know how in Norah Ephron's family everyone always said "Everything is copy"? In David Sedaris' family, clearly the tradition was that you could embellish a true story if it made it better/funnier. Sedaris has been criticized for not adhering strictly to the truth in his supposedly nonfiction essays, but he's the one writer I can forgive for this. Now I know why!

I'm looking forward to reading Sedaris. I always read him.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1707 on: June 16, 2017, 08:55:59 am »
I saw that cartoon. I wondered if it was supposed to be a parody of one author in particular.
I like to see it as a more generalized "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" kind of cartoon.

Opiod addiction, alcoholism, I wonder if the New Yorker is reporting on a trend or trying to create one. With our country in such a mess, it's no wonder people are turning to drugs.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1708 on: June 16, 2017, 09:27:08 am »
I like to see it as a more generalized "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" kind of cartoon.

Opiod addiction, alcoholism, I wonder if the New Yorker is reporting on a trend or trying to create one. With our country in such a mess, it's no wonder people are turning to drugs.

Oh, no, it is definitely a trend. And not a good one.  :(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1709 on: June 16, 2017, 06:49:22 pm »

I saw it as a fish out of chronological water situation.

Opioid addiction is definitely a trend, even an epidemic. And it started long before our country was in the current mess -- sometime during the Obama Administration, I think.

Come to think of it, why didn't it start years ago? Opioids have been around for decades. Oh wait, I guess I read somewhere that it had to do with Big Pharma pushing it or something.