Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913139 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2110 on: May 17, 2019, 04:42:03 pm »
It was a pleasure to begin reading about Lie With Me, which has been called the French Brokeback Mountain. It's by Phillipe Besson. Interesting, also, that Besson also wrote Un Personnage de Roman about Emmanuel Macron and a reviewer thought the two books are "sort of the same book." I've always thought Macron was a bit of a Brokiesque character, so by reading these I could maybe discover why.

Another trivia nugget: Lie With Me was translated into English by Molly Ringwald. Yes, that Molly Ringwald!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2111 on: May 28, 2019, 08:58:35 am »
It was a pleasure to begin reading about Lie With Me, which has been called the French Brokeback Mountain. It's by Phillipe Besson. Interesting, also, that Besson also wrote Un Personnage de Roman about Emmanuel Macron and a reviewer thought the two books are "sort of the same book." I've always thought Macron was a bit of a Brokiesque character, so by reading these I could maybe discover why.

Another trivia nugget: Lie With Me was translated into English by Molly Ringwald. Yes, that Molly Ringwald!

I read that, too! That was very interesting. Makes me want to read the novel. And about Molly Ringwald? Who knew?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2112 on: May 28, 2019, 01:44:47 pm »
I liked Adam Gopnik's article on aging (May 20) because the first couple of pages more or less confirmed my own thoughts--people don't want to accept that they're old. But then when he moved on to the scientists, it got boring for me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2113 on: May 29, 2019, 09:34:44 am »
I liked Adam Gopnik's article on aging (May 20) because the first couple of pages more or less confirmed my own thoughts--people don't want to accept that they're old. But then when he moved on to the scientists, it got boring for me.

I missed that, but I'll have to look for it. I'm interested in the subject, probably including the scientists. We'll see!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2115 on: May 30, 2019, 09:02:08 am »
New Yorker contributor Tony Horwitz has died.  :'(

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2019/05/28/author-historian-tony-horwitz-dies?fbclid=IwAR3zX0XyVMK4aInM0QPQWfdDTn_7NvCkjTTkhP20hBKqi4FZISeTVeoxWqc

Sad news.  :(

Essentially, he was my age. He would have turned 61 in about a week and a half.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2116 on: May 30, 2019, 09:09:37 am »
Slate ran a nice tribute to him:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/tony-horwitz-author-of-confederates-in-the-attic-dies.html

Now I want to read Confederates in the Attic. I remember hearing good things about it when it came out.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2117 on: May 30, 2019, 09:09:54 am »
I've started Jia Tolentino's account of how she lost her Christian faith (I guess that's an accurate description of the article) (May 27).

I'm only on page 40, but as I was double checking to write this post, my eye was caught by the paragraph on page 41 that begins, "I have been walking away from institutional religion for half my life now. ..." Yet in that paragraph she writes that she is glad she had the upbringing in institutional religion that she had. I find that interesting, and I can't wait to read more of the article.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2118 on: June 20, 2019, 08:35:19 am »
I can't believe it, but I've actually outrun my New Yorkers. I've finished the June 10-17 issue, but as of yesterday's mail the June 24 issue has not yet arrived. Instead of the magazine, I'm reading a book at lunch.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2119 on: June 20, 2019, 08:46:40 am »
I can't believe it, but I've actually outrun my New Yorkers. I've finished the June 10-17 issue, but as of yesterday's mail the June 24 issue has not yet arrived. Instead of the magazine, I'm reading a book at lunch.

What book?