Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1513403 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3050 on: August 29, 2022, 01:28:35 pm »
I missed getting the latest issue because of some hiccup in my subscription. It seems to happen every year. I get an email saying my subscription has been renewed and I think I'll see a charge on my credit card, but they don't do it that way. You have to physically pay for it, so I don't know what they mean by "renewing my subscription." And it seems like the price has gone up--$180 a year now.  :-\

But this is the archive issue anyway. In last year's archive issue I had already read most of the articles. I do dream about opening up the archive issue and seeing the title "Brokeback Mountain." Let me know if I missed that.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3051 on: August 29, 2022, 06:21:21 pm »
But this is the archive issue anyway. In last year's archive issue I had already read most of the articles. I do dream about opening up the archive issue and seeing the title "Brokeback Mountain." Let me know if I missed that.

No "Brokeback Mountain," but some pretty good stuff.

When it arrived I looked through the ToC, saw several bylines I hadn't seen in years, thought some of the subjects -- "Bob Dylan on the verge" -- sounded a little odd. But I didn't notice it was the Archival Issue until I started reading a Talk of the Town about hanging out with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

You could always read it online, or call them and have them send you a print copy.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3052 on: September 07, 2022, 01:07:56 pm »
Yay! I'm receiving my New Yorker again! There's just something about the whole package of it that's just more rewarding than when it's a bunch of links on a screen. I like the way the cartoons and the little doodles are arranged on the page. I won't talk about the specific articles yet because I know most people haven't received their issue.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3053 on: September 07, 2022, 06:13:52 pm »
Yet another good Shouts & Murmurs! And three times the usual length. They must have a new editor.