Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964262 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3330 on: June 26, 2023, 09:21:00 pm »
Thanks! This issue has always been a bit grayish for me. Glad to know there's a specific answer and I've (at least usually) been doing it correctly.

But the New Yorker is never grayish! Any publication that can't write re-election without a diaeresis and spells out large numbers should certainly have a rigid rule about this, too!

Speaking of funny misuse, just today I came across an article (not in TNY) that used "eponymous" to mean publishing a book, not named after its author, after the author's death.

:laugh:

Re-elect? Webster doesn't even use a hyphen.

Some time ago I can across an article written by somebody who thought Timbaland was a brand of boots instead a rapper.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3331 on: June 27, 2023, 10:24:44 pm »
Re-elect? Webster doesn't even use a hyphen.

Oh, true!

Some time ago I can across an article written by somebody who thought Timbaland was a brand of boots instead a rapper.

Wait, do you mean "instead OF a rapper"? And was this an article in TNY? That's pretty bad.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3332 on: June 28, 2023, 08:15:34 am »
Wait, do you mean "instead OF a rapper"? And was this an article in TNY? That's pretty bad.

Yeah, that was my brain moving faster than I can type. It should have read "instead of a rapper."

It wasn't in TNY either. I don't remember for sure where I saw it. I think it was in a newspaper article.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3333 on: June 29, 2023, 09:24:30 pm »
I got the July 3 issue in today's mail.

I cannot wait to read the article on the penis enlargement industry.  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3334 on: July 02, 2023, 09:17:47 pm »
I got the July 3 issue in today's mail.

I cannot wait to read the article on the penis enlargement industry.  :laugh:

That one didn?t especially grab me yet but the plastics one is informative and horrifying. A duty article that reads pretty engagingly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3335 on: July 02, 2023, 09:20:38 pm »
That one didn?t especially grab me yet but the plastics one is informative and horrifying. A duty article that reads pretty engagingly.

I might actually skip that one. I already know that plastics are a menace. I don't think I need to read about it again.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3336 on: July 03, 2023, 03:01:10 pm »
I might actually skip that one. I already know that plastics are a menace. I don't think I need to read about it again.

I already knew it, too. I've stopped drinking sparkling mineral water bottled in plastic (now I drink La Croix in cans). I also now use a laundry detergent that comes like sheets of paper in an envelope. I take out a sheet, rip it into a few pieces and put it in the machine's detergent container. Seems to work fine.

But of course those efforts don't count for much in a world where babies are born with plastic particles in their poop.

I already knew most of the basic information but she's good at describing the enormity of the problem.

I interviewed a woman last fall who picks up plastic garbage from the ground, carries around her own metal silverware and straw for use in fast-food and fast-casual restaurants, buys only natural-fiber (second-hand) clothing. She said she called the manufacturer of her favorite chips and asked if they could stop packaging them in plastic. The company said it needs to be plastic for shipment purposes. (I guess this would be one argument in favor of Pringles, which come in a cardboard tube.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3337 on: July 03, 2023, 06:06:25 pm »
I thought the S&M in this issue was particularly dumb. It's all silly jokes about a hypothetical TV show. The jokes aren't funny, don't really make sense and are so out-there they don't serve as satire of real-life TV.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3338 on: July 03, 2023, 09:03:08 pm »
I already knew it, too. I've stopped drinking sparkling mineral water bottled in plastic (now I drink La Croix in cans). I also now use a laundry detergent that comes like sheets of paper in an envelope. I take out a sheet, rip it into a few pieces and put it in the machine's detergent container. Seems to work fine.

I've never heard of that. Is there a brand name?

I should take a look the next time I need laundry detergent. I still use powder, which at least comes in a cardboard box.

Elizabeth Kolbert is an engaging writer. It's just that her articles have become too depressing for me. I don't expect to read much of her articles anymore.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3339 on: July 04, 2023, 01:21:09 pm »
I've never heard of that. Is there a brand name?

They're called Earth Breeze Laundry Detergent Eco Sheets. I haven't noticed them in stores but I bought them online.

I should take a look the next time I need laundry detergent. I still use powder, which at least comes in a cardboard box.

Well, that's not so bad then.

One thing I wish EK had touched on is the stuff that looks just like clear plastic but is made out of cornstarch. They had cups made out of that in the cafe of the Arboretum where I worked for a while. They're so much like the plastic kind you'd get in a convenience store I was throwing them into the recycling bin, but apparently they belonged in the compost bin! Knowing Elizabeth Kolbert, though, she'd find some evidence the cups aren't as eco-friendly as they might seem -- the processing method or transporting the cornstarch uses too much energy or something. The way cloth diapers are supposedly as bad as disposable.