Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964281 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3440 on: October 19, 2023, 03:29:07 pm »
Glad to hear you are again receiving your print issues, FRiend.

I have allowed myself to fall so far behind. I brought two issues with me to my dad's, and I just haven't felt like reading them.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3441 on: October 19, 2023, 07:23:01 pm »
One should take a New Yorker vacation periodically.

Since I was driving around a lot I picked up two audiobooks from the library. One was a Tony Hillerman mystery set in New Mexico where I was going. Another was a #1 Ladies Detective Agency book by Alexander McCall Smith, set in Botswana. I love the dialect.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3442 on: October 19, 2023, 10:12:14 pm »
Since I was driving around a lot I picked up two audiobooks from the library. One was a Tony Hillerman mystery set in New Mexico where I was going. Another was a #1 Ladies Detective Agency book by Alexander McCall Smith, set in Botswana. I love the dialect.

Which Hillerman? I think I've read them all in paperback. Earlier this year I donated them to the book room in my building because I didn't anticipate reading them again.

Hillerman himself was as interesting a character as Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3443 on: October 20, 2023, 11:23:04 am »
Dark Winds was the name of it. I've also read Talking God which was good, but not much of it was set in the Southwest. I got introduced to Tony Hillerman by way of his daughter. She has a new novel The Way of the Bear which is set in the Bear's Ears area.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3444 on: October 20, 2023, 11:51:08 pm »
Dark Winds was the name of it. I've also read Talking God which was good, but not much of it was set in the Southwest. I got introduced to Tony Hillerman by way of his daughter. She has a new novel The Way of the Bear which is set in the Bear's Ears area.

Talking God was the first Hillerman I read. I've read two of his daughter's novels, but their titles escape me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3445 on: October 23, 2023, 11:47:57 am »
Was there a full-page ad in your issues about microdosing with psylosibin?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3446 on: November 05, 2023, 10:20:01 pm »
So, I'm watching the movie Nyad, and there's a scene where her friend scoops up a pile of magazines from the kitchen counter and says, "New Yorkers? Look at this. From 2006."  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3447 on: November 06, 2023, 09:11:23 am »
So, I'm watching the movie Nyad, and there's a scene where her friend scoops up a pile of magazines from the kitchen counter and says, "New Yorkers? Look at this. From 2006."  :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:

The pile on my dining room table will soon be like that. I've never been so far behind before.  :(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3448 on: November 06, 2023, 05:12:03 pm »
A Facebook friend said he has vowed during his staycation to go through his pile dating back to 2021.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3449 on: November 10, 2023, 12:49:47 am »
I've managed to whittle down my pile by getting rid of any from the Trump era. A few are tucked away in a bedside table. The rest go in the little free libraries that are in the neighborhood.