Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921231 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:42 am »
my grandparents, who were Methodists

Sorry to correct you, but the proper grammar is:

My grandparents was Methodists.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2012, 10:17:36 am »
Sorry to correct you, but the proper grammar is:

My grandparents was Methodists.

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2012, 03:08:28 pm »
In the same issue, I tried to read Nick Paumgarten's article about the World Economic Congress in Davos, Switzerland. I was disappointed that he didn't cover any of the subjects of the sessions. There are hundreds of sessions but he seemed to imply that attendees are too blase to actually pay attention to them.

Read that article today over lunch. One word: Yawn.

I was also disappointed that he didn't mention that the governor of my state, John Hickenlooper, was there.  ::)

Maybe he doesn't realize that there are people in Colorado who read The New Yorker. Remember the famous cover of "A New York View of the World"?  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »

rink now and then sounds more like an Anglican attitude to me. When my grandparents, who were Methodists (yes, they really were   ) were touring western Canada in 1966, they went on Sundays to United Church services. Methodists, of course, do think that you should turn up every Sunday, and drinking is a sin. Or at least they used to think that way.
Posted on: March 08, 2012, 01:27:09 pm Posted by: Jeff Wrangler

Does anyone else think it is odd, how the church ideas and doctrines change, along with the common usage.  It would seem to me that the tenants of a church would (should) be immutable.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:47 pm »

Does anyone else think it is odd, how the church ideas and doctrines change, along with the common usage.  It would seem to me that the tenants of a church would (should) be immutable.

I suppose I agree that there are certain core concepts that should never change, but there are a lot of things that must change. The human race no longer needs to reproduce itself ad nauseum, in fact if it does, it is doomed. This idea has many reverberations; for instance it is no longer important that everyone be heterosexual and "breeders."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #485 on: March 14, 2012, 08:46:26 am »
I suppose I agree that there are certain core concepts that should never change, but there are a lot of things that must change. The human race no longer needs to reproduce itself ad nauseum, in fact if it does, it is doomed. This idea has many reverberations; for instance it is no longer important that everyone be heterosexual and "breeders."

Let's also not forget the role of women in the church--still an issue for some denominations, if not for others. I believe it was once universally held that women should keep silent in church. Fortunately, those days are gone in many denominations.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2012, 04:23:07 pm »

I suppose that I agree that it has to change.  I find that the problem is usually not the change, but the fact that they have interpreted the items, in such a way, that it now has to be changed.  I personally do not profess to be a religious person.  I do think the (morals and tenants) should be absolute.  Not the interpretations.  The morals.  I have a real issue with the things that the "church," has thought were so, that were only decided to be so. 
   I do not think that morals are a changeable thing.  If they are moral, they are moral.  If not then the same is true.  I never think that love, or caring is to be decided by an entity.  Any more than rights are changeable.  A right is a right.  Endowed at birth.  Period...  Others may interfere with that.  But it is still the true fact.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »
I'm reading a fascinating profile of Christian Marclay, who created "The Clock" a 24-hour video mashup of timed scenes from movies.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #488 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »
I'm reading a fascinating profile of Christian Marclay, who created "The Clock" a 24-hour video mashup of timed scenes from movies.

I must have skipped that one, accidentally or on purpose. I'm sure I didn't read it, and I have no memory of it.

Good grief, it's been almost a month since anyone had anything to say here.  ::) 

Today my copy of the April 9 issue arrived. Even though I have a lot to read in the April 2 issue (next/first up, the article by Robert Caro about LBJ), when I checked the table of contents of the April 9 issue, I went right to the article about the Karl May festival in a place called Bad Segeberg, in Germany.

I am probably one of the few Americans who has heard of Old Shatterhand and Winnetou.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #489 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:25 pm »
I am presently enjoying Lauren Collins's article on the Daily Mail in the April 2 issue.