Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921096 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #920 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »
I found the story about the 33 Chilean miners who survived underground for 56 days so inspiring that I gave the issue to my minister.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #921 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:39 pm »
I found the story about the 33 Chilean miners who survived underground for 56 days so inspiring that I gave the issue to my minister.

And I'm probably not even going to read that one.  :-\

The only other article in that entire issue that interests me is, I want to see what Adam Gopnik has to say about the 9/11 memorial.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #922 on: July 08, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »
The only other article in that entire issue that interests me is, I want to see what Adam Gopnik has to say about the 9/11 memorial.

I read Gopnik's article today. Actually, what interested me most was his discussion of the history of public memorials (e.g., the Shaw memorial, by Saint-Gaudens).

I cannot believe the museum has loops of victims' last phone calls playing for anyone and everyone to hear. To me that seems such an invasion of the privacy of both the deceased and the person to whom the call was made. I guess the museum must have the permission of the calls' recipients, though; I suppose that's where the recordings came from.

On a lighter note, I took a look at David Denby's movie reviews, and I got a kick out of his "Seven Horsemen of the Multiplex."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #923 on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:20 am »
I guess I might be reading that story about the miners after all. I'm out of stuff to read while I eat my lunch.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #924 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:31 am »
I guess I might be reading that story about the miners after all. I'm out of stuff to read while I eat my lunch.  :-\

I thought it sounded kind of interesting -- not totally duty. Report back!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #925 on: July 09, 2014, 11:21:01 am »

FRiend Lee found it very inspiring:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #926 on: July 10, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »

Well, I finished the article over dinner this evening. I was familiar with the story from news accounts when it happened, so you might say I knew how it was going to end. It was kind of like reading an adventure story that you know how it ends. It was "kind of interesting," but for myself, I'm afraid I can't call it "inspiring." It definitely wasn't a "duty article." For me "duty articles" are usually about the Middle East.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #927 on: July 11, 2014, 11:54:05 am »
For me "duty articles" are usually about the Middle East.

Same here. Though I might extend that to pretty much any other continent besides North America, with the possible exception of Europe, unless it's about economics or politics, in which case Europe is duty, too.

I know, I'm sort of geocentric that way.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #928 on: July 11, 2014, 12:12:29 pm »
Same here. Though I might extend that to pretty much any other continent besides North America, with the possible exception of Europe, unless it's about economics or politics, in which case Europe is duty, too.

I know, I'm sort of geocentric that way.  :-\

Is there a word that means "focused on one's own continent or hemisphere"? Isn't that what you really mean?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #929 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:14 pm »
Is there a word that means "focused on one's own continent or hemisphere"? Isn't that what you really mean?

Sort of. I'm actually focused on my own culture, I think.