Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922503 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1160 on: June 04, 2015, 09:58:37 am »
I read Emily Nussbaum's review of Cucumber, Banana, and Tofu, all from the creator of Queer As Folk. Her review sort of makes me wish I received Logo as part of my cable service. I hope to write more about this on my blog, because here it would go beyond the bounds of the purpose of this thread. I also don't have the issue with me for reference to her review.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1161 on: June 05, 2015, 08:46:43 am »
I hope you do write about it in your blog.  I get logo, but never got around to watching those shows.   I'm sure they'll repeat it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1162 on: June 06, 2015, 10:46:02 am »
I read Zadie Smith's story, which was very good but inconclusive; I'm hoping it's an excerpt from a novel.

I also read Louise Erdrich's one-page time-travel thing -- apparently they assigned half a dozen writers to write about time travel. Hers was meh, but since I haven't read the others yet I can't tell if it's a problem with the assignment itself or her execution.

And I read Anthony Lane's review of the Brian Wilson biopic directed by Bill Pohlad. He seemed to like it, more or less.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1163 on: June 07, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »
In the June 8 & 15 issue, I recommend Anthony Lane's article on Lewis Carroll and the Alice books.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1164 on: June 08, 2015, 08:48:20 am »
In the June 8 & 15 issue, I recommend Anthony Lane's article on Lewis Carroll and the Alice books.

Good to know. I've been meaning to read that -- I think I have it both up on my computer and in the magazine itself -- and now I'll be sure to get to it

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1165 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:20 pm »
And I also recommend the June 1 article about how a Belgian teenager turned into a radical Muslim jihadist.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1166 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »
Well, how did this happen? I am caught up on my New Yorkers.  :o  Just now, over lunch, I read "The Prospectors" in the June 8 and 15 Summer Fiction issue, and I really liked that story. And now I'm done with that issue.  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1167 on: June 15, 2015, 07:10:49 pm »
Well, how did this happen? I am caught up on my New Yorkers.  :o 

How DID that happen? I haven't been caught up on my New Yorkers since I started subscribing 30 years ago.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1168 on: June 16, 2015, 08:10:00 am »
Congrats to Jeff on being caught up!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1169 on: June 20, 2015, 05:20:02 pm »
I'm reading a long story in the fiction issue by Jonathan Franzen called "The Republic of Bad Taste." The first page or two were really hard to get interested in, but the story has picked up steam and now it's reminding me of a good film noir.
"chewing gum and duct tape"