Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922361 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1310 on: November 07, 2015, 07:19:06 pm »
He and Ted Cruz have been demoted to the "kid's table" for the debates, so winning the nomination seems a long shot.

The nuttier the Republican candidate, the better the chances for Clinton.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1311 on: November 07, 2015, 07:32:25 pm »
He and Ted Cruz have been demoted to the "kid's table" for the debates, so winning the nomination seems a long shot. ote]

Just heard that Christ Christie was bumped from the main debate stage, but he's calling it a 'transfer' instead of a demotion of some sort.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/politics/chris-christie-fox-business-network-debate/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1312 on: November 09, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »
Being behind as usual, I'm now enjoying the Food Issue (Nov. 2). Shocking to learn that Michael Specter doesn't like chocolate chips (p. 64). I mean, who doesn't like chocolate chips?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1313 on: November 13, 2015, 02:06:47 pm »
Calvin Trillin's Nov. 2 on North Carolina barbecue is quite enjoyable--as are all his articles on barbecue.

I loved that he mentioned that a rabbi in Joplin, Missouri, "a renowned Talmudist and pitmaster," pronounced that "any farm animal without scales that is subjected to slow heat from a hardwood fire for more than six hours is kosher."  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1314 on: November 16, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »
So of course I'm still w-a-a-a-y behind in my New Yorkers. Over lunch just now I finished Calvin Trillin's Nov. 3 article on barbecue and started Dana Goodyear's article on seaweed

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1315 on: November 19, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »
Being w-a-a-a-y, w-a-a-a-y behind on my New Yorkers, I just finished the Nov. 2 article "Accounting for Taste." I found that very interesting.

Since I drink my breakfast coffee at home from a clear glass mug, I was particularly interested to read that coffee is said to taste nearly twice as intense when drunk from a white mug as it does when drunk from a clear glass mug. Maybe I need to change my breakfast habits!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1316 on: November 19, 2015, 04:31:46 pm »
I often get behind when the food issue comes out too. There were lots of revelations in that article about perceptions and food. I suddenly became aware of the music playing in the background at restaurants and if it made me eat faster or more.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1317 on: November 19, 2015, 08:03:52 pm »
I often get behind when the food issue comes out too. There were lots of revelations in that article about perceptions and food. I suddenly became aware of the music playing in the background at restaurants and if it made me eat faster or more.

That reminds me. I was told once that bars play loud music because it gets people to drink more.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1318 on: November 19, 2015, 10:18:39 pm »
That reminds me. I was told once that bars play loud music because it gets people to drink more.

Maybe because they can't use their mouths to hold a conversation, so they use them to sip instead.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1319 on: November 20, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »
 :D

I noticed a while ago that many places play sad music. You would think they'd do just the opposite. But I theorize that the sad music stirs up sad thoughts and we are moved to buy more to assuage them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"