Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1924859 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1400 on: May 10, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »
Yesterday, while the window installers were at work in my place, I couldn't do anything except hole up in a corner of the kitchen and read The New Yorker. I'm not by any means completely caught up, but I highly, highly recommend David Denby's artile in the May 2 issue about censorship and the movies. Denby advances the interesting and provocative thesis that while we generally hold censorship to be a Bad Thing, the code that went into effect in Hollywood in the early 1930s actually forced the movies to become more creative. I'll even quote him: "In effect, censorship created plot, and in the process yielded one of the greatest of American film genres: thirties romantic comedy, including the dizzier versions celebrated as screwball comedy."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1401 on: May 10, 2016, 11:04:22 pm »
Yes, I read that article avidly! Although I miss some of the movies that stretched the boundaries more.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1402 on: May 11, 2016, 11:55:02 am »
Yes, I read that article avidly! Although I miss some of the movies that stretched the boundaries more.

They're probably available on YouTube, or somewhere.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1403 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:06 pm »
I don't know about that. I looked for Casablanca on YouTube recently; couldn't find it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1404 on: May 11, 2016, 08:44:54 pm »
I don't know about that. I looked for Casablanca on YouTube recently; couldn't find it.

I don't think I would have expected to find Casablanca on a platform like YouTube ... because it's Casablanca.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1405 on: May 12, 2016, 10:30:57 am »
Some movies can be found on YouTube, and some can't.

Some are uploaded and can be viewed for free.  Others, you have to pay for.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1406 on: May 15, 2016, 12:03:58 pm »
I have a Roku device that lets you search for movies by title from whatever platforms you happen to pay for. So I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Go. The other night I watched Bridge of Spies that way. There's often some cost involved, even if you have Amazon Prime. If you don't have that service, it's probably a couple of dollars more, but possibly worth it if you want to watch something enough.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1407 on: May 17, 2016, 10:26:08 am »
Apparently The New Yorker has a blog called Page Turner, and, back in March, there was an entry about Annie Proulx's new book, Barkskins. It looks to be interesting.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/fiction-this-week-annie-proulx-2016-03-21

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1408 on: May 17, 2016, 01:24:27 pm »
I liked the article about hunting for treasure the Nazis stole and hid in Lower Silesia, Poland (May 9).

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1409 on: May 18, 2016, 10:49:11 am »
Apparently The New Yorker has a blog called Page Turner, and, back in March, there was an entry about Annie Proulx's new book, Barkskins. It looks to be interesting.

When my cousin and his partner got married, they had a drag queen run the whole show and her name was "Paige Turner".

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!