Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922697 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1500 on: December 12, 2016, 02:29:38 pm »
At lunch today I read Nathan Heller's Nov. 28 article "Not Our Kind: What Moral Claims Do Animals--and Robots--Make On Us?" I had a really good laugh when I read Heller's description of "the Star Wars universe" as "a multigenerational purgatory of interesting robots and tedious people."  :laugh:

I also enjoyed the briefer article about Stevie Nicks. That was almost like a history lesson for me (where Nicks comes from [Phoenix], how she met Lindsey Buckingham, how Fleetwood Mac formed and fell apart), though it was a bit disconcerting to have some of my favorite musicians of my youth (James Taylor, the Eagles) described as "too white." I'm not sure what that means, but it was meant as a criticism. Well, I guess I'm "too white," too.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1501 on: December 12, 2016, 10:07:21 pm »
it was a bit disconcerting to have some of my favorite musicians of my youth (James Taylor, the Eagles) described as "too white." I'm not sure what that means, but it was meant as a criticism. Well, I guess I'm "too white," too.

I'll have to look that up, but "too white" for what? Surely there was some further explanation. If they're just plain too white, then all white people are too white. If they're "too white to be successful rap stars" that might be more understandable.

I assume it was some reference to their music -- that the description came in a context that wouldn't equally implicate, say, Bob Dylan or Lou Reed or David Bowie. But still, it seems odd and offensive. There are plenty of non-racial reasons to dislike the Eagles.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1502 on: January 03, 2017, 02:17:17 pm »
There are plenty of non-racial reasons to dislike the Eagles.

And plenty of reasons to like them. Let's just agree to disagree, shall we? I'm still grieving Glenn Frey.

Meanwhile, behind as usual, but not too far behind right now, at lunch I finished Malcolm Gladwell's article (Dec. 19 & 26) comparing Daniel Ellsberg and Edward Snowden. Perhaps I should be appalled, along with Ellsberg and John Cusack, that Snowden, apparently, has never heard of Dr. Strangelove, but instead I'm finding their reaction funny. Not so funny to consider that Daniel Ellsberg is now 85 years old. ...

I also read Elif Batuman's single-page article about the Stoic philosopher Epictetus. Makes me think that perhaps I should read him, too.

And then I happily stumbled  on the annual "Greetings, Friends!" by Ian Frazier. And I am absolutely tickled by his concluding line: "Faith's more a verb than it's a noun." I might even send that one on to our rector!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1503 on: January 03, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »
And plenty of reasons to like them. Let's just agree to disagree, shall we?

Of course! I would never dream of arguing about musical taste. Seriously. Taste is taste.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1504 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:59 pm »
Speaking of musical taste, I've been reading and enjoying the article about Bach in the latest issue.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1505 on: January 03, 2017, 11:57:05 pm »
Speaking of musical taste, I've been reading and enjoying the article about Bach in the latest issue.

I enjoyed that one, too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1506 on: January 04, 2017, 02:02:46 pm »
I'm also now enjoying Jeffrey Toobin's article about Hulk Hogan's suit against Gawker over his sex tape.

I would not exactly call Peter Thiel and the founder of Gawker Media a credit to gay men.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1507 on: January 05, 2017, 08:02:43 pm »

Bach is too white for me.  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1508 on: January 17, 2017, 02:04:06 pm »
I'm actually caught up in my New Yorkers!  :o  :laugh:  At least, I'm reading the one with this Monday's cover date on it, Jan. 16.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1509 on: January 17, 2017, 08:27:26 pm »
I've been going through a pile that ranges from spring 2015 to late 2016 -- not every issue, just a bunch with a wide range of dates. I'm not sure where this pile came from. I have a couple of other piles elsewhere in the house, most of them recent.

Tell you what, it's become a whole lot easier to toss any pre-November "duty" articles involving politics.