Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922216 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2010 on: November 02, 2018, 09:54:31 pm »
Looking forward to reading it, and thank you for the preview.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2011 on: November 07, 2018, 01:57:13 pm »
I guess I don't need to bother with the article about Claire McCaskill (Oct. 29). She lost. Which is too bad.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2012 on: November 09, 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
I had a bit of a surprise at lunch today. I turned to the article "Acts of Conviction" (Jennifer Gonnerman, Oct. 29), only to discover that the subject is the district attorney of Philadelphia.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2013 on: November 12, 2018, 02:36:33 pm »
Meanwhile, quixotically, I'm zooming ahead to the October 29 issue and this article on polychromy in ancient art, which references the giant statue of Athena that I saw at the Parthenon in Nashville, TN.

I just finished that article over lunch today. I found it very interesting. I think the head on page 45 looks remarkably like Meryl Streep. I found the section on page 50 speculating about the dinner party in Pompeii with its "statues of nude homoerotic youths." and "slave boys that look just like those well-tanned bronzes" quite titillating.

Did you know that parthenon means, "place of the maidens"?

I did not know that precisely, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that "Athena Parthenos" means "Athena the Virgin," or something like that, since Athena was a virgin goddess.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2014 on: November 12, 2018, 04:08:40 pm »
Yes, that was a lovely passage in the article.  :D

There are a lot of school groups that tour the Parthenon in TN, and I'm sure they didn't want to have to explain the word virgin to kids, so they used the word maiden.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2015 on: November 12, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
Yes, that was a lovely passage in the article.  :D

There are a lot of school groups that tour the Parthenon in TN, and I'm sure they didn't want to have to explain the word virgin to kids, so they used the word maiden.

I never thought about maiden being synonymous with virgin, but now that you say it I guess it kind of is. Especially since in the old days women would be expected to be both until they were married.

Of course, as usual there's no male equivalent.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2016 on: November 14, 2018, 07:42:47 pm »
Considering the terrible destruction and loss of life in California due to wildfire, it seemed a little--I don't know--odd?--uncomfortable?--to read Ian Frazier's article on wildfires on the Great Plains (Nov. 5).

I found it fascinating that approximately have the population of Oklahoma is made up of Climate Change Deniers. Their reasons seem to be a combination of fundamentalistic religion and undoubted truth that the Great Plains has always been a place of extreme weather. Kansas used to be known for its Twisters, and the entire region used to be known as Tornado Alley. (I think we seem to be seeing more tornadoes in the South now, but maybe those storms are just more notable because the South is more heavily settled and populated than the Great Plains.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2017 on: November 15, 2018, 11:39:16 am »
I received the new issue today and had to sit right down and read the Jon Anderson article about the mysterious illness suffered by the Cuban diplomats. No real answers, but good writing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2018 on: November 15, 2018, 08:33:59 pm »
Considering the terrible destruction and loss of life in California due to wildfire, it seemed a little--I don't know--odd?--uncomfortable?--to read Ian Frazier's article on wildfires on the Great Plains (Nov. 5).

I just finished reading that article. Frasier paints quite a picture of Charlie Starbuck, and of Millie Fudge, as well. I was just one county over from there, to the east, in June, visiting my great grandfathers' graves in Hazelton, Kansas. No evidence of fire there; in fact, there were puddles here and there and some of the roads in Hazelton were so muddy it was tough going, even in my SUV.

I've noticed that reporters are taking a new interest in rural America these days. It was rural people who had a big role in the sudden change in political leadership, some think. This issue of the New Yorker had two articles about Oklahoma: the wildfire one and another one about how so many women in Oklahoma are being incarcerated, including victims of domestic violence.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2019 on: November 15, 2018, 10:42:02 pm »
I've noticed that reporters are taking a new interest in rural America these days. It was rural people who had a big role in the sudden change in political leadership, some think. This issue of the New Yorker had two articles about Oklahoma: the wildfire one and another one about how so many women in Oklahoma are being incarcerated, including victims of domestic violence.

I'm looking forward to reading that article about the women. I just started the article about Gavin Newsome.