Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921002 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2600 on: December 29, 2020, 08:32:49 pm »
I have no idea when, if ever, I'm going to catch up. I still don't understand how I've fallen so far behind. I'm skipping the fiction, but then I almost never read that anyway.

It's not a race, friend! Reading TNY should be nourishment for the writer's/reader's soul.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2601 on: December 29, 2020, 08:46:47 pm »
What if you were to do what I do, which is go through the lagging issues (except instead of six, for me it's probably 30), rip out the articles you want to read and recycle the rest? Then staple those articles individually and put them in a manila folder and plan to take them to lunch and work your way through them?

Don't follow my next step, however, which is set the manila folder aside, forget where you even put it, then go back to it only when you're doing the next purge and get rid of the ones that no longer seem relevant -- no further back than Obama's first term, for example.   :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2602 on: January 01, 2021, 05:30:45 pm »
:laugh:

Winona is a cool old small river town in Minnesota, birthplace of Winona Ryder (who was named after the town, not the other way around  :laugh:).

What a coincidence. R. and I were talking about his late wife's collection, (she collected everything) and there is a postcard collection of scenic views of Winona, Minnesota.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2603 on: January 03, 2021, 03:50:36 pm »
What if you were to do what I do, which is go through the lagging issues (except instead of six, for me it's probably 30), rip out the articles you want to read and recycle the rest? Then staple those articles individually and put them in a manila folder and plan to take them to lunch and work your way through them?

I tried that sort of thing with other publications years ago and found it unsatisfactory. I also don't see how that would help me catch up. If I went back to read the articles I had saved, then I wouldn't be reading the current ones.

I guess part of my problem is that lately there have been a great many articles I actually want to read. I know I could skip the pre-election political articles, but I'm finding it interesting to read what writers had to say before the election compared to what has actually happened.

At least my magazines are arriving on time--for now.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2604 on: January 06, 2021, 11:07:19 pm »
As far behind as I am, I jumped ahead to read Lawrence Wright's "The Plague Year" in the current (Jan. 4 & 11) issue. It's positively gripping to me. The stories I'm learning that never made the news "down here."

Example (I'm sure Paul knows this one):

The governor of Massachusetts arranged to buy 3 million N95 masks from China. When they got to the Port of New York, the feds seized them (I think Trump offered the Chinese more money). Then the governor managed to quietly get 1.2 million masks from China. The owner of the New England Patriots (football team) essentially snuck them into Boston on the team's private plane, and the Massachusetts National Guard was at Logan Airport to take them safely into the state's possession.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2605 on: January 07, 2021, 12:23:22 am »
I thought about reading that, but I'm not ready to tackle a 40-page article!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2606 on: January 07, 2021, 09:36:38 am »
I thought about reading that, but I'm not ready to tackle a 40-page article!

Understandable.

Just me, I know, but I'm finding it so engrossing that I'd read it in one sitting if I had the time.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2607 on: January 07, 2021, 10:42:12 am »
Good to know! Its length scared me off, too, and also it looked kind of dutiful. But based on what you've said here (and how the duty is even more intense now) I'll give it a shot.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2608 on: January 08, 2021, 12:56:52 pm »
I was interested to learn that one of the people who has now quit the White House is a man named Matthew Pottinger. I believe he worked for the National Security Council (?).

He figures prominently--in a good way--in the Wright article.

The article is giving me a much better and higher opinion of Deborah Birx, too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:21:21 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2609 on: January 08, 2021, 06:03:42 pm »
Anyone want to speculate on what the next cover will look like?