Author Topic: BBM and Lonesome Dove  (Read 60572 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BBM and Lonesome Dove
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2009, 04:23:02 pm »

Oh, no - so it actually did ending up giving you a nightmare!  Was it one specific part?  I agree with your assessment, Amanda.  LD stands out as my favorite book in the series, although I did like the others.  It's been a while since I've read it, but I believe the "worst case scenarios" continue right through the end.  There was also a mini-series made of DMW.  I wouldn't buy it - but it's worth watching (I borrowed a copy from my local library).  Let us know when you complete the book and what you think of the ending.  :)

Heya,

Well, I'm probably about 20 pages from the end, so I'll certainly finish the book this evening.

**spoilers ahead**

LOL, the part that gave me a nightmare a couple nights ago was the introduction to the leper colony.  At that point, I thought good grief!  What next!?  In this book McMurtry certainly lets his sort of darker imagination have free reign.  I don't remember the bad news being so constant in LD.  There are so many parts in this book that could inspire a bad dream.  But, for some reason the inital ways that he described the lepers' hospital really got to me.  The whole idea of leprosy gives me the chills.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2009, 12:21:56 pm »
Heya,

Well, I'm probably about 20 pages from the end, so I'll certainly finish the book this evening.

**spoilers ahead**

LOL, the part that gave me a nightmare a couple nights ago was the introduction to the leper colony.  At that point, I thought good grief!  What next!?  In this book McMurtry certainly lets his sort of darker imagination have free reign.  I don't remember the bad news being so constant in LD.  There are so many parts in this book that could inspire a bad dream.  But, for some reason the inital ways that he described the lepers' hospital really got to me.  The whole idea of leprosy gives me the chills.

*spoilers*

Ahh, yes, the leper colony - ugh.  No, the bad news was not so constant in LD.  But I do think you're prepared now, somewhat, for the remaining books.  Comanche Moon is longer and there are a few more "ups" interspersed with the "downs" but there are some very, very (I thought) frightening and gruesome parts.  And "Streets of Laredo" is probably the darkest of the books - I read somewhere that McMurtry was in a dark place in his own life when he wrote it - and it shows.  The dvd of "Streets of Laredo" ends, I think, on a slightly more upbeat tone than the book. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2009, 03:10:29 pm »
Usually I am not overly upset by books with volatile, even tragic, content, (after all, I'm a fan of Annie Proulx's work!) but I'm sort of at a place in my life where a constant diet of trials and tribulations resembles my day-to-day existence too much!! Maybe that's why I've been slowly making my way through Lonesome Dove...I just finished Part II.

It's interesting to contrast Proulx's and McMurtry's writing. They share some elements of style, but with Annie, she'll have Ennis say he shot a coyote while sitting around the campfire, but Larry will take us out with Call and McCrae when they go on a shooting expedition. So, LD has a lot more action in it, while giving less of the interior monologue than Annie does. I'm thinking of the forays into the wilderness of the old man in The Half-Skinned Steer or of Jewell at the end of Postcards. We know exactly what the characters are thinking as they venture into uncharted territory, whereas with McMurtry, we know exactly what's happening, and must infer what's in the hidden interior landscape. There are a few exceptions, such as the young characters whose impressions of the West McMurtry likes to describe, and the thoughts of Lorie, whose consciousness comes and goes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2009, 03:13:37 pm »
The young Che Guevara visited a leper colony in the book/movie The Motorcycle Diaries. I wonder how those scenes compare to that passage in Dead Man's Walk.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2009, 04:27:57 pm »

Hmmm, I've never read or seen The Motorcycle Diaries, so I don't really know.  LOL, I'm pretty thankful to say that I've rarely encountered extended treatment of leper colonies or lepers in literature, as happens at the end of Dead Man's Walk.  The whole topic gives me the chills.

I finished the book several days ago and am still kind of recovering from it.  The bleakness and brutality of McMurtry's writing in this book still is surprising to me.  I'm going to read Comanche Moon and Streets of Laredo because now I'm pretty determined to finish the series.  But, I think I may need a little break for a while.  So, I may try to read something else before I tackle Comanche Moon.  I'll admit that I'm intimidated by these next two books.  Yikes, if Streets of Laredo is the most grim of all... it really must be quite something, since Dead Man's Walk seemed so brutal to me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2009, 05:22:51 pm »
Yes, you should read a palate-cleansing book in between. Nothing by Cormac McCarthy, mind you. He makes McMurtry read like a ...I was going to say fairy tale, but many of those fairy tales are brutal!! Telegraph Days is a relatively sunny book by McMurtry. I finished LD thanks to a power outage that kept me away from the computer. Now, I'm reading Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. I have lots to say about LD, though, if people would still like to discuss. Talking helps me process it all.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
Yes, you should read a palate-cleansing book in between. Nothing by Cormac McCarthy, mind you. He makes McMurtry read like a ...I was going to say fairy tale, but many of those fairy tales are brutal!! Telegraph Days is a relatively sunny book by McMurtry. I finished LD thanks to a power outage that kept me away from the computer. Now, I'm reading Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. I have lots to say about LD, though, if people would still like to discuss. Talking helps me process it all.

Congrats on finishing LD!  Sure, I'd like to hear your reactions! 

I'll say that Dead Man's Walk was a good book but LD itself, IMO was in a slightly different league.  I really loved LD.  Both books are page-turners.  But, the pacing of LD is so much different.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2009, 01:04:54 pm »

Heya,
I'm here to report that I'm gearing up to read Comanche Moon soon.  It's next on my "to read" list.  I'll admit that I'm slightly intimidated to start this book after the kind-of overwhelming-ness of Dead Man's Walk.  At the same time, I'm excited to get back into this series.  And, I'm still determined to finish the series.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2009, 02:17:40 pm »
Heya,
I'm here to report that I'm gearing up to read Comanche Moon soon.  It's next on my "to read" list.  I'll admit that I'm slightly intimidated to start this book after the kind-of overwhelming-ness of Dead Man's Walk.  At the same time, I'm excited to get back into this series.  And, I'm still determined to finish the series.

Hey, Amanda!  Thanks for the update.  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Comanche Moon.

Actually, I was just coming to this thread to say that American Movie Classics (AMC) will be showing the Lonesome Dove mini-series in four parts beginning this weekend:

http://www.amctv.com/movienights/lonesome-dove/
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2009, 08:56:52 pm »
Hey, Amanda!  Thanks for the update.  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Comanche Moon.

Actually, I was just coming to this thread to say that American Movie Classics (AMC) will be showing the Lonesome Dove mini-series in four parts beginning this weekend:

http://www.amctv.com/movienights/lonesome-dove/

I will be sure to catch that!