Author Topic: "It ain't right."  (Read 26755 times)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "It ain't right."
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 11:01:26 pm »
Oh, that's right. Tripping over stuff on the way to the tent. That was cute.

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 03:42:19 am »
Regarding Jack's truck facing the wrong way when they parted at the end of the summer:

I don't think that was an edit error, just a loss in continuity because of a deleted scene.  My understanding is that they did not leave for Brokeback the same day the met Aguirre...they spent the night in the truck, and then drove up to the trailhead and parked there.   Then they came back down in the truck, and Jack must have parked it in rear first.  You see that scene in the original movie trailer....  Ennis is sitting in the passenger seat.   One has to wonder though why Jack would park his truck rear first regardless....seems to me that he was just dropping Ennis off, why did he even have to turn off the ignition?  Oh well, we'd go nuts ironing out the details.

Regarding Alma Jr and Ennis confusing Troy and Kurt:     This is also not an error to me, but actually yet another very poignant touch.   Remember in the divorce hearing that Ennis only has to pay child support until the girls are 18...I would presume also when Alma Jr got 18 then mandatory courtordered visits would stop also.    Therefore, Ennis probably hasn't seen her in a while.....note how he asks  "what's the occasion?".    So Ennis, desperately trying to stay close to his daughters as they grew up, gradually loses touch with them, and it comes to a point where he presumes that Alma Jr wouldn't visit him just for the heck of it, but there has to be a reason. 
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 07:09:50 am »
The disappearing log drives me CRAZY!!!!

>:(

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 08:17:01 am »
Focusing real hard on Jack (and Jack's looks) in the disappearing log scene makes the log much less annoying. I'm only sayin'.  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2006, 08:43:05 am »
Focusing real hard on Jack (and Jack's looks) in the disappearing log scene makes the log much less annoying. I'm only sayin'.  ;)

;D I've tried that, yes, Jake does a good job in hiding this goof with his good looks!
But sometimes...  ::)

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2006, 08:44:53 am »
Also I am ever the perfectionist, this would have made me feel ill for days if I was Ang Lee, does that make sense?

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2006, 12:04:28 pm »
Also:

After the fight, when Jack is comforting Ennis, his arm changes position, bad editing.

Last confrontation: you don't really see Ennis speak his last words "I can't stand this anymore Jack", like it was added later on. That notion adds importance to that sentence, though.

And in general I thought the mid portion of the movie was too slow and it did not show enough of Jack and Ennis together. I know, that was the whole idea behind it, that they wanted to be together as much as we wanted to see them together, but still... I really miss that scene from the book, where they sit so close together by the campfire, that's my favorite part of the book, it told the reader that they were still very much in love and it was just... right. It felt right. I didn't get that feeling in the movie.

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2006, 12:54:36 pm »

And in general I thought the mid portion of the movie was too slow and it did not show enough of Jack and Ennis together. I know, that was the whole idea behind it, that they wanted to be together as much as we wanted to see them together, but still... I really miss that scene from the book, where they sit so close together by the campfire, that's my favorite part of the book, it told the reader that they were still very much in love and it was just... right. It felt right. I didn't get that feeling in the movie.

That is so true! Whenever I see Jack and Ennis sitting at the campfire, way apart, like any two ordinary straight campers, I get this Brideshead Revisited flashback of Sebastian resting his head in Charles's lap. Now wouldn't something like that have been great... ::) (and rather more likely, too).

Also, after the Thanksgiving row with Alma when Ennis gets himself beaten up and then we fade out, when we fade in again we see him and Jack on horseback in the mountains. I always feel it would have been really great if the fade in would have been one of Ennis on his back in Jack's arms - or is that too obvious and deliberate a contrast with the previous scene...?

My, look at us... we're rewriting the perfect movie.  :-X
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2006, 04:16:25 pm »

My, look at us... we're rewriting the perfect movie.  :-X

I couldn't agree more.... 

Now, look you people, ya gotta stop this....  there was another thread like this a whal ago, and you don't wanna know what happened to the posters on that thread!!  Always bitchin' and moanin', findin' fault with our perfect story, it was scandalous!!!

;) ;) ;D ;D
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2006, 09:46:42 pm »
OK - One more? The rodeo where Jack meets Lureen. He's getting ready to ride and she squeezes in by the fence to watch him. The announcer says that Jack's ride was the ride of the day, and that may be so, but it wasn't a legal ride. He wasn't on the bull when the 8 second buzzer went off, so he would have been disqualified.