Author Topic: Who Would You Cast as Ennis in a Sequel?  (Read 8139 times)

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Who Would You Cast as Ennis in a Sequel?
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:51:20 pm »
I doubt there will ever be a sequel to Brokeback Mountain and don't really think there should be. But after reading some fan fiction that focuses on Ennis' life after Jack's death, I got to thinking -- who would I cast to play Ennis if one of those stories was filmed?

Tragically, it can't be Heath Ledger. So who else?

The first person that came to my mind was Chris Cooper.

Who else do you think would be a good candidate in this imaginary casting effort?

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Who Would You Cast as Ennis in a Sequel?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »
Wow, I'd have to give that some serious thought because I can't imagine anyone else playing Ennis.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:37:15 pm »
I think Bale could do it.  He has the depth to bring out the melancholy nature of his character.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:25 pm »
I dunno and I kinda cringe to even contemplate it.

Maybe Edward Norton could pull it off?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:23:52 pm »
I like the idea of Chris Cooper as "old Ennis"!

If they were going to have a "young Ennis" in the same film, it would get trickier, and harder to think about. I think I'd prefer Christian Bale to Edward Norton. Or how about Ryan Gosling? He's a really good actor.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:13:46 pm »
I like the idea of Chris Cooper as "old Ennis"!

If they were going to have a "young Ennis" in the same film, it would get trickier, and harder to think about. I think I'd prefer Christian Bale to Edward Norton. Or how about Ryan Gosling? He's a really good actor.

Me too. He has been in a couple of movies with Jake, too.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:17:28 pm »
No sequel....never......
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:54:04 pm »

I think Aaron Eckhardt would do a great job of it.   He really impressed me with his job in TDK.

I also agree, no sequel.

Beautiful mind

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:03:28 pm »
Don't like the idea much either, but if it had to be...Chris cooper is an interesting choice.

Believe it or not, and in spite of my general low opinion of his acting, i think Kevin Costner could pull it off pretty well. Costner's inablitlies as an actor are in line with Ennis' lack of communicative skills and it could work.

(PS:  just noticed this is post #944...wonder if a Porche is in the offing?   8)  )

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 06:23:34 pm »
Believe it or not, and in spite of my general low opinion of his acting, i think Kevin Costner could pull it off pretty well. Costner's inablitlies as an actor are in line with Ennis' lack of communicative skills and it could work.

I think Kevin Costner can be a pretty good actor, particularly in light drama and romantic comedies. A BBM sequel wouldn't be either one, but it might work.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 10:55:13 am »
I really, don't know about a sequel... maybe Matt Damon.  He's 39 this year... so pretty much exactly the right age for Ennis at the end of conventional BBM and I think Damon really is a great actor.  In my mind he also sort of has the right look.  I could also see Colin Farrell playing Ennis... he's too young in real life to be Ennis at the end of the conventional BBM narrative... but I think he could play older convincingly.

If we're talking about a re-make rather than a sequel, I'd pick a really young actor again.  I don't know exactly who... but, I really like the idea, as happened in the real BBM, of using a young cast (and then having them age through the course of the film narrative with make-up, etc.).  I'll have to ponder this one and come back and post later.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 06:33:29 pm »
I would NEVER have thought this until I saw him yesterday in "Frost/Nixon," but I can now see Kevin Bacon as an older Ennis. He was great at projecting a tamped-down, unbending character of strong emotions. But they'd have to do something about those blue eyes.  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »
When I saw Role Models, it came to me that Seann Williams Scott could possibly play Ennis, looks wise anyways..

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 02:49:28 am »
I can´t even imagine someone else playing the role of Ennis. Just can´t wrap my head around the idea.

JudgeHolden

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 04:50:44 pm »
Scott Glenn.

In that last scene, where Ennis looks out the door at the departing Alma Jr, the makeup actually made him look a bit like Glenn.

JudgeHolden

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »
Though I would second the opinion above too, they shouldnt even think of makin a sequel. Heath Ledger when questioned on what he thinks happens to Ennis after that final shot, said nothing much ahppens to him. What you see is it. So it would be a film of Ennis going to work, coming home to the trailer and drinking beers in front of the TV.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »

I agree with Heath on this one.  In reality, its probably one of those things where, "if you cant fix it, ya gotta
stand it."  Sad but true,,, :'(

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 04:17:22 am »
Though I would second the opinion above too, they shouldnt even think of makin a sequel. Heath Ledger when questioned on what he thinks happens to Ennis after that final shot, said nothing much ahppens to him. What you see is it. So it would be a film of Ennis going to work, coming home to the trailer and drinking beers in front of the TV.

If it was Heath in that sequel, I would watch every moment of the beers in front of the tv.  I grudgingly agree that the amazing Chris Cooper would do right by the part (you want to see an example, watch him in Lone Star), but it's a GDBOAUS to even contemplate it, IMO.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 06:10:53 am »
I love Heath´s answer and completely agree.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13:14 am »
Ennis (Heath) as Ennis again!

retropian

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 09:28:20 am »
To me, Jack died in the film and Ennis died with Heath. There can be no sequel. I don't even think Annie Proulx could write one now, She said Heath became Ennis and had replaced how she had imagined him. No actor could be Ennis on film now. I would like to see a prequel, not of Jack and Ennis but a story and film about Earl and Rich. They are two mysterious characters to me, and I'd like to know of their lives. How did they meet and fall in love? How many years did they have together before Earl was murdered? How did they live their lives in the little community of Sage WY.? What did Rich do after Earl was murdered? Frankly, I think the story could end long before Earls death. It could end with them being happy. Perhaps realizing or embarking on the sweet life that Jack never attained. What we know happens can be told in an epilogue at the end of the film.  

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:07 am »
Merci beaucoup retropian !

Tu es intéressant en disant:
       To me, Jack died in the film and Ennis died with Heath. There can be no sequel. I don't even think Annie Proulx could write one now, She said Heath became Ennis and had replaced how she had imagined him. No actor could be Ennis on film now. I would like to see a prequel, not of Jack and Ennis but a story and film about Earl and Rich. They are two mysterious characters to me, and I'd like to know of their lives. How did they meet and fall in love? How many years did they have together before Earl was murdered? How did they live their lives in the little community of Sage WY.? What did Rich do after Earl was murdered? Frankly, I think the story could end long before Earls death. It could end with them being happy. Perhaps realizing or embarking on the sweet life that Jack never attained. What we know happens can be told in an epilogue at the end of the film.               

You film suggestion could become real ! Je le veux ce filmcomme toi !

Au revoir,
hugs!

retropian

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 06:39:30 pm »
Merci beaucoup retropian !

You film suggestion could become real ! Je le veux ce filmcomme toi !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Thanks Artiste. I don't think there will be a film of Earl and Rich, but it would be great to see other Gay Cowboy romances on film.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 11:24:38 am »
I do want to see such a film about Earl and Rich.

You could write that story, compose it?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 09:09:17 pm »
No sequel....never......

I agree. No sequel.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 01:21:36 pm »
I agree: a sequel!