Author Topic: How do you consecrate a new home?  (Read 21813 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: How do you consecrate a new home?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:44 am »
I have a cousin in St. Augustine! I haven't seen her for years, but she's still there. I'm envious Lynne. I'd love to live near the beach. That reminds me of the days when I lived in South Florida. We didn't live near the beach, but it was only a 10 or 15 minute drive from our house. This was in Plantation (West Fort Lauderdale).

Good luck with your new apartment Sister Mod Lynne! I hope you get everything set up and organized soon. :-*

When I get my furniture squared away, you'll have to come for a visit, David!  All Brokies welcome anytime, as far as I'm concerned!   :-* 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39:37 am »
* Sit some acorns on the windowsills to protect your house from lightening

Hmm. Isn't the oak, the source of acorns, the tree of Thor, Norse god of thunder?

David, are you sure your mother didn't have some Viking blood in her?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:13 am »
You could have sex on the living room carpet.

>:D

Just don't forget to buy stain remover beforehand. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 01:16:54 am »
I think the bottom line is that you should do whatever feels right for you, Lynne. You’ll know. Listen to your inner voice. I’m a firm believer in such rituals as these. We humans have been performing them for many thousands of years.

Here are a few thoughts of my own.

* Clean the house thoroughly. When everything is sparkling clean, take a bath or a shower and dress in something that’s special for you. Wear jewelry that feels right - maybe your birth stone. Amethyst is always good. You might like to spray on a light essential oil – whichever one you like and feel relaxed with.  Light a candle or incense (or both). With clean water collected from a place that has special significance for you (lake, creek, river, spring, well, beach – not  tap water),  to which a few grains of sea salt has been added,  walk from room to room and say whatever you feel is right for you personally. Say whatever is in your heart. Verbalize (make manifest) that which you want from your new home. Perhaps something like, “Be gone from here all evil, iniquity, injustice and mischief.  This is a place of peace, tranquility, centeredness and balance for me. This is a place where I will know only love and happiness and much laughter. This is a place of safety and sanctuary where I can thrive and prosper.” Whatever words seem right for you. With your right hand, gently sprinkle a few drops of water in each room as you repeat your mantra.  Afterwards, while the candle burns down, you may like to sit and gaze into the flame, as you meditate on what you expect of your new home. Break the meditation when the time feels right for you. Stay “under” for as long or short a time as is comfortable for you. Empty the left-over water, respectfully, onto a plant (not down the drain).

* Consult a user-friendly (for the layman) book on Feng Shui and do whatever feels right for you.

* Place a jade plant in a nice porcelain jardinière by the front door. Shower it with love and attention and watch it thrive and grow. While it’s there, you will always have sufficient wealth for your requirements.

* Hang a small ba gua mirror outside your front door:

http://www.jadedragon.com/fengshui/fengshu.html

* Place a figurine/statue of the Hindu God, Ganesh, inside your front door, facing the door (i.e., not facing into the room). Ganesh is the beloved son of Lord Shiva. He will protect your home and keep you safe there. It doesn’t need to be big. There are some lovely, tiny figurines available. Ganesh is known for being jolly and approachable, and is often depicted whilst joyously dancing.

* At every access point to your home (all doors and windows), place some small item that has a special significance for you. For example, I have a small, green glass Buddha on my kitchen window sill and a sea shell, collected from a special beach, on my bathroom window sill. Wind chimes are also good here. If you don’t like the big clangy ones, there are tiny, tinkling wind chimes available and also glass chimes that make a lovely gentle sound.

If all this sounds completely alien to you and maybe just a tiny tad crazy, it is important that you do not do it. Instead, do what feels right for you.

May you know all blessings in your new home, Lynne.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:49 am »
Hmm. Isn't the oak, the source of acorns, the tree of Thor, Norse god of thunder?

David, are you sure your mother didn't have some Viking blood in her?

I don't think so Jeff. Maybe the Vikings came and visited the Lakota and told them about it! And the historians forgot to record it in their books! ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 01:07:06 pm »
I just get an old priest & a young priest to sprinkle holy water throughout the rooms....just kiddin..actually I just open the windows and shoot some air wick around the place. ;)
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 01:35:04 pm »
I've read that burning sage is supposed to be positive (especially if it comes from Wyoming or Alberta!)   ;)
If you need some sage from the Rocky Mountains, friend, just let me know. I just sent some to buffymon, as hers was getting stale.

I've done a lot of moving about the past few years, and I typically put my Brokie paraphernalia out first - the dozy embrace refrigerator magnet, little blue enamel cup containing assorted rocks, a shell and a blue marble, place the short story autographed by Brokie friends and the DVDs in positions of note. 
That is so sweet that you are keeping the little tin cup in all your travels!! I have collected so much BBM stuff that I have put it all into an armoire in my bedroom, and it's bursting at the seams!

Another thing I do sometimes is put on the movie soundtrack, put my sculpture of two horses in a place of honor (see my avatar) and light some candles.

I have used Chuck's method for christening a tent, but not for a house...probably because I would not want to shock the children!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 01:43:42 pm »
If you need some sage from the Rocky Mountains, friend, just let me know. I just sent some to buffymon, as hers was getting stale.
That is so sweet that you are keeping the little tin cup in all your travels!! I have collected so much BBM stuff that I have put it all into an armoire in my bedroom, and it's bursting at the seams!

Another thing I do sometimes is put on the movie soundtrack, put my sculpture of two horses in a place of honor (see my avatar) and light some candles.

I have used Chuck's method for christening a tent, but not for a house...probably because I would not want to shock the children!!

I would love some fresh sage from the Rocky Mountains, FriendLee.  I am still cleaning, and then I plan to get some furniture in the next couple of weeks...then I'll be ready for my ritual.  I love so many of the suggestions here - thank you all!

I think February 21st will be the auspicious evening - There will be an eclipse of the full moon.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »

I think February 21st will be the auspicious evening - There will be an eclipse of the full moon.

Hey Lynne, check your calendar again.  The February 21 eclipse was in 2008.  (It was cool, though.)

The next eclipse is this coming Monday the 9th of February--a penumbral eclipse, not as exciting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
Hey Lynne, check your calendar again.  The February 21 eclipse was in 2008.  (It was cool, though.)

The next eclipse is this coming Monday the 9th of February--a penumbral eclipse, not as exciting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse

You see how easily I can get into trouble??!  I don't even know what *year* it is. 

::)

OK...guess it'll be the first full moon in March then.

8)

Edit:  March 1 is a good day.  That's my BetterMost-iversary!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."