Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 19298 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Welcome to the internet etiquette thread
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:12:13 am »
The THREADBLOCKER seeks by interjection,
to derail discussion by misdirection.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

karen1129

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:07 am »
Great thread.

;D

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:44:00 am »
When you come upon a nasty TROLL.
"REPORT," "IGNORE," "bypass and SCROLL".
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:59:07 am »
I'm enjoying this thread so much, I posted it on the newsbanner! Go for it, friends!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 12:10:40 pm »
When you come upon a nasty TROLL.
"REPORT," "IGNORE," "bypass and SCROLL".
Oh Bruce, I love your post!!  :laugh: :-* :-* :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 12:11:00 pm »
The BLOVIATOR, filled with endless rage,
seeks to fill up page and page...

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 12:12:52 pm »
I've noticed that tentions can run a bit high here at Bettermost, so I thought that maybe a discussion about good old-fashioned manners, and how they can be adapted to the internet, might help.  I think good manners are based primarily on respect for others, and this respect leads to a concern for the feelings of others.  So the question becomes how can we express ourselves here, let our voices be heard, while being mindful of the opinions and feelings of our fellow members?

By starting this thread I am in no way trying to claim to be an etiquette expert, and I am quite aware that I can be a rude little shit sometimes.  (Hmm  Maybe I should have said "rude little snot."  Someone may want to address the topic of swearing.  Where and when is it appropriate?)  So I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a laundry list of all the times I've stepped on some toes.   :laugh:

I'll start by listing a few thoughts and observations.  Please feel free to jump in and add whatever you think might be of use.  But remember, mind your P's & Q's.   ;)

--I think it might be helpful to keep in mind that this is the internet, and that means people can not see our expressions or the tone of our voices.  So maybe it would best to use the smilies when that will work, or take a couple of extra minutes to use words that will suggest how serious we are.

Responding to someone in person by saying "that's stupid" might be okay since they can see the smile on our face and the twinkle in our eye.  But those who read a comment like that on the internet might feel insulted.

--I think it's best when expressing your opinion to make it clear that you know your opinion is your opinion and not fact.  And for those who find it difficult to distinguish between the two, just remember that almost every declarative statement you make is your opinion, or at least that's my opinion.   8)

--If you don't get someone else's point of view, try to understand them before refuting them.  Ask questions.  Start a dialogue rather than an argument.

--Don't say "I'm sorry, but..." unless you're truly sorry.   :P

--Remember that not everyone has to be on the same page.  So state your case as clearly as you can.  If others disagree, let them.

--If you've accidentally hurt someone's feelings, say your sorry.  You don't have to add insult to injury by defending your right to have your own opinion because that's usually not the issue.  People do disagree with one another passionately sometimes, but heated arguments are often caused not so much by the opinions we express but how we express them.     

Oh Gary, love your thread!!  :-* :-* :-* I just hope that people use it.......to talk about how to behave..... ::)
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 12:15:44 pm »
QUESTIONS, instead of ACCUSATIONS,
can ASSIST in awkward situations.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:17:57 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »
"I'm sorry," is what needs be said,
when I've been angry and lost my head.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 12:25:07 pm »
When posting, remember to USE TACT,
and distinguish OPINION from "CERTAIN FACT."