Author Topic: In This Life by camillar  (Read 4390 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
In This Life by camillar
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:53:08 pm »
I'm enjoying this story and thought I'd give it a rec.  It's an au/au and there is a freshness about it that's really appealing.  Camilla updates regularly and quickly and is up to Chapter 9.  I know there are some readers who avoid WIPs, but judging from how quickly she wrote and completed her other stories, I don't think this will become an abandoned fic.   :)

The author's summary:  Ennis is a 17 year old orphan who finds himself at a new foster home where he meets 16 year old Jack Twist.

It begins here:

http://camillar.livejournal.com/23844.html#cutid1

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: In This Life by camillar
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:04:34 pm »
Yes Marie, I'm reading and enjoying it too. I like her Jack and Ennis. And the story has the right pace, not too fast, not to slow.

The other story I'm reading at the moment is Writer's Block. Have you tried this one?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:45:45 pm »
thanks for the rec. I haven´t read any of her stories.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 02:47:14 pm »

The other story I'm reading at the moment is Writer's Block. Have you tried this one?
It would be interesting to hear from someone who´s reading this fic. I´ve seen it around but haven´t read anything.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »
I'm enjoying this story and thought I'd give it a rec.  It's an au/au and there is a freshness about it that's really appealing.  Camilla updates regularly and quickly and is up to Chapter 9.  I know there are some readers who avoid WIPs, but judging from how quickly she wrote and completed her other stories, I don't think this will become an abandoned fic.   :)

The author's summary:  Ennis is a 17 year old orphan who finds himself at a new foster home where he meets 16 year old Jack Twist.

It begins here:

http://camillar.livejournal.com/23844.html#cutid1

Marie

Thanks for the link, Marie!  I'll check it out!  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 02:43:53 pm »
I'm reading In This Life too and really enjoy it!  I really like her writing. 

I'd also recommend people check out her other story (completed, with periodic extra vignettes) called "The Wedding."  She really does have a nice sensibility to her writing and she's very good at making the emotional intensity between Ennis and Jack feel very real and palpable.

Here's the link to the first chapter of The Wedding. http://camillar.livejournal.com/8626.html

It's an au/au that traces the best-friendship between Ennis and Jack from the time they're small children through to their relationship as adults.  Much of the narrative of The Wedding centers around the drama and angst Ennis goes through when deciding whether or not to marry Alma combined with his emerging understanding about his real feelings for Jack.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:59:25 pm »
I'm also reading In This Life and enjoying it.
I haven't read anything else by the author yet, but may check out The Wedding after A's rec.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:07:43 pm »
I'm also reading In This Life and enjoying it.
I haven't read anything else by the author yet, but may check out The Wedding after A's rec.

Hey Chrissi!  :D  That's great!  I've been thinking about this a bit more, and I guess one further thing I'd add is that camillar seems very good at capturing a certain "sweetness" about the relationship between E and J, and it comes through in In This Life, and maybe even a little bit more in The Wedding.  Hope you enjoy it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:42:18 pm »
I would add my rec to the others here for "In this life". That sweetness Amanda  mentions comes well across - the description of a tentative, bashful kind of getting emotionally and physically closer to each other that I do find very appealing.

**spoiler**
I have been wondering a bit about the realism in this particular Jack being completely without friends, though.
Also I find his mom seems difficult to understand - she's providing a loving home to too many foster kids, but in the fic she hasn't much come across to me as a person who's particularly sensitive to the psychology or emotions of those kids. Nor that of her own son, at all. She's seemed distracted and distant throughout. Then suddenly last chapter she showed that she *could* be both perceptive and understanding of her son and respectful of his privacy. Not bad in a teen son's mom, given the circumstances.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:47:09 pm »
I´ll definately get to this one once I´m finished with TDMP!