Author Topic: Goofy Indiana - Weird and Strange Happenings In The Hoosier State  (Read 21083 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Inspired by Brokeplex and HerrKaiser's cute thread about the oddities of Texas, I thought I would start a thread about my state of Indiana. We have lots of oddities here too!

So, from time to time, as the odd and weird news breaks around here, I will be posting it for all of you to laugh at, roll your eyes at, or..... whatever. :-\

First up -

Man Gets Stuck In Chimney.

This happened last year and some of you may remember this video. I cannot watch it (I'm on dial-up) but I remember the incident. It was all over the news here. So, if you haven't seen it yet, well..... judge it for yourself!

:-\

(Let me know if this youtube video is not working properly and I'll search for a new one)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUq2A2tOcgU[/youtube]

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Goofy Indiana - Weird and Strange Happenings In The Hoosier State
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:53 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the woman really topped that story off! I am surprised she wasn't charged with assault after she nailed him with the trash can AND two beer bottles!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:37:17 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the woman really topped that story off! I am surprised she wasn't charged with assault after she nailed him with the trash can AND two beer bottles!

Yup! I certainly wouldn't want her mad at ME! :laugh:

Okay, here's another one...

Sister accused of attacking bride at reception

HEBRON, Ind. -- A woman who wasn't invited to her sister's wedding reception showed up anyway and attacked the bride, pulling out clumps of her hair in a struggle, police said.

Annmarie Bricker, 23, of Valparaiso was arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge for Friday's attack outside a Porter County home.

Jeremy Glotzbach told police he was hosting a reception for Nicholas Landry and Lori Kappes, who is Bricker's sister, at his home when Bricker attacked Kappes on the front porch of the home and had to be pulled away.

The Porter County Sheriff's Department said Bricker pulled out clumps of Kappes' hair, struck her head and took the bride to the ground during a struggle.

After the attack, Kappes had smeared makeup and clumps of hair missing from her head but sought no medical treatment.

Kappes, who told police she has had ongoing problems with Bricker, said she just arrived at the reception when Bricker pulled up, got out and began pounding on her car window.

Kappes said she initially refused to get out of the car, then got out and walked toward the home while ignoring Bricker, who screamed at her and then attacked.

Bricker told police she arrived at the home to confront her sister and parents and "just wanted to talk" about family problems. She said she never touched her sister.

However, five witnesses told police that Bricker attacked Kappes.

Bricker's children, who were in her car during the altercation, were released to their father.

After the attack, Bricker resigned from her job as a Porter County 911 dispatcher, county officials said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090130/NEWS02/901300383

injest

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »

Yup! I certainly wouldn't want her mad at ME! :laugh:

Okay, here's another one...

Sister accused of attacking bride at reception

HEBRON, Ind. -- A woman who wasn't invited to her sister's wedding reception showed up anyway and attacked the bride, pulling out clumps of her hair in a struggle, police said.

Annmarie Bricker, 23, of Valparaiso was arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge for Friday's attack outside a Porter County home.

Jeremy Glotzbach told police he was hosting a reception for Nicholas Landry and Lori Kappes, who is Bricker's sister, at his home when Bricker attacked Kappes on the front porch of the home and had to be pulled away.

The Porter County Sheriff's Department said Bricker pulled out clumps of Kappes' hair, struck her head and took the bride to the ground during a struggle.

After the attack, Kappes had smeared makeup and clumps of hair missing from her head but sought no medical treatment.

Kappes, who told police she has had ongoing problems with Bricker, said she just arrived at the reception when Bricker pulled up, got out and began pounding on her car window.

Kappes said she initially refused to get out of the car, then got out and walked toward the home while ignoring Bricker, who screamed at her and then attacked.

Bricker told police she arrived at the home to confront her sister and parents and "just wanted to talk" about family problems. She said she never touched her sister.

However, five witnesses told police that Bricker attacked Kappes.

Bricker's children, who were in her car during the altercation, were released to their father.

After the attack, Bricker resigned from her job as a Porter County 911 dispatcher, county officials said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090130/NEWS02/901300383

see? it is these little details that turn a reg story into a eye roller!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:32:18 am »
This following story is NOT funny or cute. It's what you call a MAJOR fuck-up.

This was all over the news here and people are OUTRAGED with White Castle (and they should be!) Some servicemen and women got their cars towed while attending a Welcome Back ceremony at the stadium, after just returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Can you believe this? Some "welcome home", huh? >:(

White Castle donates $5,000 in towings

A restaurant chain has donated $5,000 for wounded soldiers to atone for having cars belonging to Indiana National Guardsmen and their families towed during a welcome-home celebration at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Guardsmen say a White Castle manager gave them permission to park in the Downtown restaurant’s lot during Saturday’s program at the nearby stadium. But later, more than 25 soldiers found their cars had been towed and they had to pay $165 each to retrieve the vehicles from impound.

Monday, White Castle regional director David Dore apologized and presented a $5,000 check to the Guard.

He said White Castle would also refund the towing costs and provide the soldiers free food when they visit the restaurant.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090203/LOCAL/90203003/-1/NEWS

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
Woman Tearfully Apologizes During Hold Up, Police Say

Woman Told Cashier She Is Down And Out

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Police arrested a woman they said robbed a South Bend restaurant while tearfully apologizing to the cashier.

The woman, whose identity wasn't released, was taken to the St. Joseph County Jail on a charge of theft Tuesday night.

According to a police report, the woman told the cashier at the Long John Silver's restaurant she had a gun and needed money, then began crying and said, "If I wasn't down and out, I wouldn't be doing this."

As the woman waited at the counter, a customer in the drive-through line called police. The woman was running across a nearby parking lot as police arrived and arrested her. Police said no weapon was found.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18646155/detail.html

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:36 pm »
Repeat Voyeur Accused Of Exposing Himself Outside Home

Police: Man Was Looking Into Apartments, Cut Screen Door

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man with prior convictions of voyeurism was arrested Thursday morning for exposing himself and looking inside apartments on Indianapolis' south side, police said.

Police were called to an apartment complex on Stone Crossing Drive just after 7 a.m. after a woman reported a man looking into her apartment, said Lt. Jeffrey Duhamell.

Officers said they found William Newhouse, 50, of New Whiteland, exposing himself nearby. He had also cut the screen to an outside door in an attempt to gain access to the apartment, Duhamell said.

There have been several reports of a person looking into windows in the area.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18650122/detail.html

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
No Zombies Reported in Indiana So Far, Only Raptors!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:21 pm »
Beast of a roadside prank merely attack of a hacker

CARMEL, Ind. -- Rush-hour traffic, construction cones, restricted lanes, lowered speed limits and higher speeding fines are stressful enough for drivers along Keystone Avenue.

But level-headed motorists remained calm for three days as "RAPTORS AHEAD CAUTION" blinked from a portable electronic sign in the southbound lanes north of 116th Street.

At least it wasn't a warning of a zombie attack, as with signs displayed in recent days in Austin, Texas, and a St. Louis suburb.

"They are so clever," city spokeswoman Nancy Heck said about the creativity of the warnings. "They are so outrageous."

A warning about extinct velociraptors was a better prank than putting up a message to send motorists the wrong way amid construction to add roundabouts to Keystone, Heck said.

Despite the giggles, transportation officials nationally have expressed concern about online instructions for the signs. An automobile blogger at jalopnik.com on Jan. 28 posted "How to Hack an Electronic Road Sign." Posted a week earlier on i-hacked.com was "Inside programmable road signs," with photos showing how to change the messages.

Carmel's sign normally rotates the messages "106TH CLOSED AHEAD," "PROCEED WITH CAUTION" and "SPEED LIMIT 40 MPH," said Keystone project manager Jeremy Kashman.

"I did not hear of accidents happening from rubber-necking or gawking (at the sign)," Heck said.

Neither, she said, were there any raptor attacks.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090205/LOCAL0101/902050457/1001/NEWS

karen1129

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »
This started in AUstin with the Zombies! ::)

I would bet anything it was some college student here that did that.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:29:19 am »
This started in AUstin with the Zombies! ::)

I would bet anything it was some college student here that did that.

Yeah, I heard it all all started in Austin. But you gotta admit, it's pretty funny! :laugh:

I wish I could have seen one of those "Caution Zombie Attack" signs. I never saw that raptor sign here either, although I live close to where it happened.

Kids these days sure are clever and full of imagination, aren't they? :)