Author Topic: Roger Ebert says MILK is the best film of the  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Roger Ebert says MILK is the best film of the
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 02:58:21 pm »
The latest issue of The New Yorker also favors Milk.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »
I saw Milk this afternoon.  I thought was a really good movie, and even though I never really liked Sean Penn, I thought he gave a riveting performance as Harvey Milk.  I like the way they showed actual pictures of the real people, and pictures of the actors portraying them, at the end of the movie.

I liked Gran Torino.  I thought Benjamin Button was sort of boring, although I was impressed with the way they made Brad & Cate age.  I haven't had a desire to see Slumdog, until recently, when everyone is raving about it, and it's up for so many awards.  It has peaked my curiosity, so I think that's the next movie I want to go see.  I saw a preview for the Wrestler today while waiting for Milk to begin.  Not sure if I want to see that or not.  Serious crayons - waiting on your thoughts on The Wrestler after you see it today!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:28:39 pm »
I loved The Wrestler. Mickey Rourke's performance was really amazing -- funny, sad, repelling, likable. Marisa Tomei was good, too. It was an interesting insiders glimpse of pro wrestling, plus a poignant tale of a man in decline. I highly recommend it.

retropian

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:25:00 am »
I hope 'Milk' and Sean Penn win so I'm glad Ebert is behind 'Milk'. For good (Milk) or ill (Crash) he is influential in the industry. I read his reviews, some are very perceptive (IMO) some are only so so. His review of BBM was positive, but it was apparent he really didn't get what a masterpiece it is.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:07 pm »
Milk is a very good film, especially the performances. The camerawork was poor in spots, shaky when it should not be shaky, and grainy and vague. I didn't think the plot did justice to Harvey Milk, and Mayor Moscone was just an edifice. The soundtrack didn't really make an impression on me. The weakest part of the movie, in my opinion was the big demonstration scenes, which looked fake and staged, actually choreographed. Sean Penn and Josh Broslin were excellent, as were all the performers.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 01:49:20 pm »
It would be ironic if Heath wins an Oscar over Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the same year that a gay-themed movie wins Best Picture.

I feel strongly that Oscars are often cumulative. (For example, if Denzel Washington had been a complete unknown beforeTraining Day, there's no way he would have won for it.)  I think PSH's win for Capote was also because of the multitude of character-actor roles he'd done leading up to that. 

One interesting thing about the reaction to Milk is that I haven't heard/read anywhere about any mainstream shock at the guy-guy affection (that leading actors such as Penn and Franco are unafraid of it)... nor the guy-guy affection that's being shown elsewhere in soaps, cable TV series, etc.

My point is, Brokeback Mountain has been a HUGE watershed in that regard — I think it truly blew out the circuits.  8)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
The way Ebert raved and raved and raved about Synecdoche, NY, I'm surprised he didn't say that was the best pic of the year.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 02:39:48 pm »
Milk is a very good film, especially the performances. The camerawork was poor in spots, shaky when it should not be shaky, and grainy and vague.

I think the graininess (plus the way the color seemed to favor cyan and yellow) was deliberate, for a 70s-era look.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 10:36:30 pm »
I think the graininess (plus the way the color seemed to favor cyan and yellow) was deliberate, for a 70s-era look.

Agreed. 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 05:30:06 am »
Finally got around to watch Milk. I liked it a lot. Very high production values and very good casting - especially Emily Hirsch and Sean Penn. It was very interesting to get to know more about the Castro area and what part it played back then. The movie is an important reminder of the fact that rights just don´t come your way, you have to stand up and fight for them.

And the murders...I knew what was coming of course, still I sat there and whispered "no, no, no"

Terrific movie.