Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on German TV for the first time  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Brokeback Mountain on German TV for the first time
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:44:08 am »
Whoo-eee!
BBM will be shown on German TV for the first time. Somehow this makes me ridiculously happy :D.

It will be aired on Sunday, Feb 22nd, 20:15 on Pro Sieben.

Sunday evening, 20:15 is the best prime-time in Germany :). Later the same night the Osars will be aired on the same channel.
My TV guide lists BBM as top movie of the week and 'Tip of the Day' for the 22nd. And it rates movies, highest rate in any category is three points, lowest is zero (not one). BBM got three points in being sophisticated, one point for action, two for suspense, one for eroticism and zero for humor. I disagree somewhat with the humor rating, but overall am satisfied that they give BBM the outstanding place it deserves.

BTW, there's a small pic of Heath as the Joker on the cover on the issue, together with other Oscar favorites. :)

How about other non-US countries? Was BBM already shown on TV in your country? Eurobrokies? Aussies?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Brokeback Mountain on German TV for the first time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:10:44 pm »
Yep, BBM was on tv here a couple of months ago. There was lots of publicity about the movie too, in all the tv magazines. A 'must see' movie.

And what a nice coincidence that it's on the 22nd of February. That's my BBM anniversary.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 04:30:48 am »
Here in Italy it was aired not that long ago on RAI 2 (RAI is Italy's state television).
Some of you might remember (a thread was started here on BM) that TSN1, TSN2 and the Reunion kiss were censored. That prompted a HUGE protest. RAI general director and RAI 2 director had to apologise pretty fast and promised that the full version would be aired (we're waiting...).
I learnt that one shouldn't judge a nation by its  state television. RAI is something, Italians are something else. The sad thing is that whether we like it or not  we have to pay a licence.  :(

It is great that in Germany it will be on at the best prime-time. Will it be dubbed?

My TV guide lists BBM as top movie of the week and 'Tip of the Day' for the 22nd. And it rates movies, highest rate in any category is three points, lowest is zero (not one). BBM got three points in being sophisticated, one point for action, two for suspense, one for eroticism and zero for humor. I disagree somewhat with the humor rating, but overall am satisfied that they give BBM the outstanding place it deserves.

I'd give it 10 for the Reunion kiss alone!

BTW, there's a small pic of Heath as the Joker on the cover on the issue, together with other Oscar favorites. :)

:) :'(

BbM, I swear

pnwDUDE

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:36:17 am »
Is German TV going to cut it up--delete scenes and such?

Brad

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:05:48 am »
Here in Italy it was aired not that long ago on RAI 2 (RAI is Italy's state television).
Some of you might remember (a thread was started here on BM) that TSN1, TSN2 and the Reunion kiss were censored. That prompted a HUGE protest. RAI general director and RAI 2 director had to apologise pretty fast and promised that the full version would be aired (we're waiting...).
I learnt that one shouldn't judge a nation by its  state television. RAI is something, Italians are something else. The sad thing is that whether we like it or not  we have to pay a licence.  :(

Ah yes, I remember your post about it.

Will it be dubbed?

Yes. Everything on German TV is dubbed :P (except for some very, very artsy no-budged films from places like Mongolia on the special arts-channel).

I'd give it 10 for the Reunion kiss alone!

I hear you! :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:17:19 am »
Is German TV going to cut it up--delete scenes and such?

Brad

No, I don't think so. There's nothing in it which can't be shown on prime time. The movie is rated FSK 12 here, meaning that everyone from age 12 on can see it.
But it's possible that Pro Sieben (the channel) will crop the credits at the end. Private channels often do this to squeeze more ads in :P.

I'll report back after seeing it.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 06:24:17 am »
Brokeback has been aired here in Sweden. No scenes were deleted. That very rarely happens here, if ever.
Nothing here is ever dubbed either.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 06:53:22 am »
Brokeback has been aired here in Sweden. No scenes were deleted. That very rarely happens here, if ever.
Nothing here is ever dubbed either.

That's my exact reply, long as you replace Sweden for Norway. Scenes aren't cut, films aren't dubbed,  BBM has been aired at least two times here that I know of.  :)

ProSieben used to be my one-stop shop for my Buffy&Angel fixes back in the olden days. But I don't have access to the channel anymore. Pity - I'd have liked (in a scientific curiosity kind of way, mind you  ;) ) to watch the film dubbed to German.)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:46:59 pm »
Funny how it works.  You have the DVD sitting there just ready and waiting to be popped in at any time, but you get excited and decide to watch it because they're showing it on TV.  Must be something about knowing others are watching, too.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »
I hope they don't cut anything out of the German TV airing either...   We've experienced enough of that raping of our movie.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 03:53:09 pm »

Thanks for telling us about this Chrissi!  We'll be eagerly awaiting your review of how the dubbing goes, etc.  Are you going to save your copy of the TV guide as a souvenir?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:09:11 am »
Thanks for telling us about this Chrissi!  We'll be eagerly awaiting your review of how the dubbing goes, etc. 

I already know the dubbing from the times I've seen BBM in theatre. Overall it's ok, but with BBM every little lapse is one too much for me. What bugs me is that they left out many of the little sounds, of Ennis's huhs and hunhs and grunts, but also Lureen's whimper on the phone, and the kiss Jack plants behind Ennis's ear in the motel.
But they don't butcher the movie with the dubbing, and Heath's German voice is similar to his own.

Are you going to save your copy of the TV guide as a souvenir?

Undecided yet.

Hope the weather will be ok on the 22nd. Yesterday evening I couldn't watch Pro Sieben. Something is wrong with our satellite dish. If it is cold and rains, there are two channels we can't see, and one of them is Pro Sieben. We have this technical glitch for years and years now, but only in winter. ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 09:59:32 am »

Maybe this TV airing of BBM will generate a new bunch of Brokies!  :) 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:30:20 am »
BBM's premiere on German TV was yesterday and I'm here to report back.

I couldn't see it  :(. It was cold and it rained, so I didn't have any reception of the channel :(.

But I instructed Kerstin, my friend and fellow Brokie to watch out if they cut anything and told her to keep an eye especially on the tent scenes, the reunion and the credits at the end.
Nothing of the movie itself was cut, the tent scenes and reunion kiss were intact, as I expected it. The movie is rated 12 here (i.e. everybody from age 12 on can see it), so why should they cut anything?

But they completely cut the credits at the end (both songs), just like I thought they might. Instead of the credits, they squeezed in another commercial break ::) :P.

I would have liked to see it on TV. Maybe I'll have more luck next time.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 11:17:46 am »

Sorry you weren't able to see it Bud.  But, thanks for the report!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 03:24:29 pm »
Glad to hear no scene was cut.
BbM, I swear