Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Television Shows!  (Read 106518 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Favorite Childhood Television Shows!
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:51 pm »
I was wondering what shows everyone enjoyed to watch when they were children.

To all the Bettermost Members from other countries, please tell us what shows you grew up watching. Tell us about some of the great television shows and sitcoms unique to your country!

I know I left out many great television shows. I am sorry about that. I suddenly realized I already had 23 choices and figured I better stop! :D

I loved Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show, Dennis The Menace, I Love Lucy and The Addam's Family!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Favorite Childhood Television Shows!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:08:13 pm »
We used to have a show here in Austrlia, called "Skippy, the bush Kangaroo"....

similar lines to flipper and lassie, but it was with a kangaroo, he always saved the day, caught the baddies, and gave us a moral lesson in what was right and wrong....

He could make his kangaroo sound, and his owner could have a complete conversation with him, and find out from Skippy where the baddies were, and lead someone to them....

It was set in a National Park ranger station in Sydney, which was a real place, and open for tourists, who would be able to see Skippy in real life.

It was one of the few Australian shows that was in production here in the late 50's and early 60's.....we grew up on American shows, thinking that all american families were like the Cleaver family, every aussie childs dream, I think then, was to go to America, and see everything that we were seeing on TV.

I loved Superman too, George Reeves....used to hold my breath, thinking that he would be found out to be Clarke Kent....I could see it, couldnt work out why Lois and Jimmy couldnt....

Oh for the simple, innocent days of our youth, and thinking of those early TV shows, has brought back many memories..
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:27:34 pm »
Katie -

Skippy sounds absolutely charming. I'm sure I would have loved that show!

I wonder if it was Skippy who triggered your (and your son's) intense love for kangaroos?  :)

Thanks for telling us about "Skippy". I wish they would have put it on tv when I was young. I think I would have loved it!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 11:07:10 pm »
"The Addams Family" I knew from Prime Time.

"I Love Lucy" I knew only from reruns.

The others?

All-time favorite: "Daniel Boone," with Fess Parker, after he did Davy Crockett (and that "Daniel Boone" isn't available on DVD is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!  ;D ) (The pilot episode was released on video. Do I own it? You bet!)

Also: "Petticoat Junction" turned me into a train lover.

"Bewitched." I still want a house just like Darren and Samantha's!  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:10:01 pm »
I watched most of those shows at some point in my youth.  But the biggies when I was a little girl were The Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, Superman, Batman, The Monkee's, I love Lucy, My Three Sons, Family Affair and Dark Shadows(my Mom and I never missed a single hokey episode) :D Bewitched, Petticoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies, THe Red Skelton Show, Ed Sullivan, The Carol Burnett Show, and Jackie Gleason.  And of course the original Star Trek and Lost in Space.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 11:24:05 pm »
"The Addams Family" I knew from Prime Time.

"I Love Lucy" I knew only from reruns.

The others?

All-time favorite: "Daniel Boone," with Fess Parker, after he did Davy Crockett (and that "Daniel Boone" isn't available on DVD is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!  ;D ) (The pilot episode was released on video. Do I own it? You bet!)

Also: "Petticoat Junction" turned me into a train lover.

"Bewitched." I still want a house just like Darren and Samantha's!  ::)

I know. I left Bewitched out. :(
I loved that one too.

Another one I loved was "I Dream of Jeanie". Another one I left out!
I always did love that bottle Jeannie lived in. It would have made a really cool house!  8)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 11:27:32 pm »
I watched most of those shows at some point in my youth.  But the biggies when I was a little girl were The Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, Superman, Batman, The Monkee's, I love Lucy, My Three Sons, Family Affair and Dark Shadows(my Mom and I never missed a single hokey episode) :D Bewitched, Petticoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies, THe Red Skelton Show, Ed Sullivan, The Carol Burnett Show, and Jackie Gleason.  And of course the original Star Trek and Lost in Space.

The Beverly Hillbillies is another good one I left out. :(

I think my favorite though was Leave It To Beaver. I had the biggest crush on Wally when I was growing up.  I thought he was cute even before I knew I was gay ! :)

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 12:29:09 am »
The only ones on the list I watched are I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke. I'm young (19) so I only watched them as reruns. I loved the older shows on Nick At Nite. Let's see, there was Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Taxi....dang, I can't think of others right now. I also loved Nickelodeon in the 90s, with The Secret World of Alex Mack, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Pete and Pete....ok I'll stop. I guess it depends on the cutoff for being a kid.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 12:33:58 am »
The only ones on the list I watched are I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke. I'm young (19) so I only watched them as reruns. I loved the older shows on Nick At Nite. Let's see, there was Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Taxi....dang, I can't think of others right now. I also loved Nickelodeon in the 90s, with The Secret World of Alex Mack, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Pete and Pete....ok I'll stop. I guess it depends on the cutoff for being a kid.

You did just fine! Thanks for your comments.  :)

I am not familiar with many of the newer (90's) shows you mentioned. I think I have heard of Clarissa Explains It All, but that is about it.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 01:53:26 am »
Boy Meets World...I was 10....I loved that show...