Author Topic: Obome to visit Canada this coming Thursday  (Read 18404 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Obome to visit Canada this coming Thursday
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:12:23 pm »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hb2tonR81crvxvrkGSwSAa12hLCg

some quotes from past Presidents, during their visits here:

(I really like IKE's comment)

"On both sides of the line, we are so accustomed to an undefended boundary three thousand miles long that we are inclined perhaps to minimize its vast importance, not only to our own continuing relations but also to the example which it sets to the other nations of the world."

-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, visit to Quebec, 1936

"Canadian-American relations for many years did not develop spontaneously. The example of accord provided by our two countries did not come about merely through the happy circumstance of geography. It is compounded of one part proximity and nine parts good will and common sense."

-- Harry Truman, speech to Parliament, 1947

"It is still a fact that our common frontier grows stronger every year, defended only by friendship."

-- Dwight Eisenhower, speech to Parliament, 1953.

"Geography has made us neighbours. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder."

-- John Kennedy, speech to Parliament, 1961

"We of the United States consider ourselves blessed. We have much to give thanks for. But the gift of providence we cherish most is that we were given as our neighbours on this wonderful continent the people and the nation of Canada."

-- Lyndon Johnson, speech at Expo '67, Montreal, 1967.

"We're more than friends and neighbours and allies; we are kin, who together have built the most productive relationship between any two countries in the world today."

-- Ronald Reagan, speech in Quebec City, 1985

"Ours is the world's most remarkable relationship - the prime minister said, whether we like it or not. I can tell you that on most days I like it very, very much. We're neighbours by the grace of nature. We are allies and friends by choice."

-- Bill Clinton, speech to Parliament, 1995
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Obome to visit Canada this coming Thursday
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:16:14 pm »
another quote from that same article:

Richard Nixon was three years in office before he came to Ottawa. He'd been to 19 other countries, including Romania, Yugoslavia and Pakistan.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:47 pm »
As for W, it took him almost 4 years.

Here's a quote, apparently from the NY Times:

OTTAWA, Nov. 30 - President Bush on Tuesday thanked Canadians who waved a welcome to him "with all five fingers" on his first official visit to their country, but he also appeared defensive at a time when he was expected to reach out and try to repair the rift over the war in Iraq.

http://pwmartin.blog.uvm.edu/archives/2004/12/george_w_bushs.html

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:29:06 pm »
I heard it's strictly a short business trip hes making but we can all understand considering the recession thats hitting America & everyone else. I can tell already he's gonna make a better change for Americas image.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:37:41 pm »
It is said that 90 per cent of things made in the USA exported outside the United States, are purchased or bought by Canadiens/Canadians!!

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:42:01 pm »
It is said that 90 per cent of things made in the USA exported outside the United States, are purchased or bought by Canadiens/Canadians!!
yup! And we even watch american tv shows too! whoo hoo! (psst! heres a secret...Canadian tv shows are just too boring)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:32 pm »
Horo, I am surprised that you say that Canadian TV shows are boring, sinc eyou are in Calgary, in the Brokeback Mountain scenery!

On the contrary, mother, my brothers and sisters often watch some, as I do at times!

And, the ones Fait au Quebec are very valuable to us, showing how to solve problems,
and that is presented in soap series!!

Maybe, Obama will  be boring (this next trip) as he will not address the House, did you hear?

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 11:18:38 pm »
Horo, I am surprised that you say that Canadian TV shows are boring, sinc eyou are in Calgary, in the Brokeback Mountain scenery!

On the contrary, mother, my brothers and sisters often watch some, as I do at times!

And, the ones Fait au Quebec are very valuable to us, showing how to solve problems,
and that is presented in soap series!!

Maybe, Obama will  be boring (this next trip) as he will not address the House, did you hear?
Don't worry, it wasn't a serious statement.  Well I guess theres the Trailer Park Boys thats uhh...sort of entertaining. But since I am in Brokeback country I'm out running or biking amongst the mountains instaed of watching TV anyways.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:50 pm »
Lucky you biking in heaven!

What are        Trailer Park Boys                 ? The cowboys and one girl?

Will you watch Obama talk in Canada?

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »
Lucky you biking in heaven!

What are        Trailer Park Boys                 ? The cowboys and one girl?

Will you watch Obama talk in Canada?
You've never heard of the Trailer Park Boys? I take it your from Canada right? You know its about those low brow dumb canadian boys who live in a trailer park and get into all kinds of trouble with the law.  Its quite popular really...even heard the Americans are catching on to it.