Author Topic: Anne Hathaway in Shakespeare in the Park’s ‘Twelfth Night’ June 10 - July 12  (Read 62474 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

Thanks for a wonderful article! Go ahead and send the rain to Colorado...everybody else does!

Thanks, Lee, but--how?? (Still another dreary, dark day--yuck!)

In another vein, here's our plucky Thespian in her neighborhood boit:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/06/anne_hathaway_attempts_to_go_i.html

Anne Hathaway
Attempts to Go Incognito
in Nolita, Fails

Well, it's a step up from a baseball hat.
Photo: Owen Beiny / WENN.com

By: Jessica Pressler
6/23/09 at 5:34 PM

In this week's New York Magazine, Anne Hathaway talked to Amy Larocca about the difficulty of being a celebrity, the pressures of being a target of the paparazzi, and a Method-acting experiment she tried for her role in Twelfth Night,  when she ventured off-set dressed in the masculine garb her character Viola wears to disguise herself as a man.

“I was feeling like I could do more to get into my character,” she explains. So I decided, What if I walked around New York trying to pass for a boy? What if I had to make people look twice to figure out what I was? I kind of got dressed up, and there were six photographers outside. I was walking my dog, and they know my dog, so all of the sudden I’m in a terribly unflattering outfit, I look like I’m auditioning for West Side Story, and it’s on the Internet! And it’s just like, I’m doing this for my job!”

Knowing this, we assume the wig she was wearing while having lunch at Cafe Gitane yesterday was also in service of the Craft. But for what role? The title character of The Rainbow Brite Story?

(For those interested where: )

Cafe Gitane
242 Mott Steet (between Houston and Prince)
New York, NY 10012
212-334-9552

Menu:
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/cafe-gitane/menus/main.html

Map:
http://nymag.com/search/search.cgi?map_view=1;listing_id=4847
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Sounds nice.  Any excuse for another brunch trip!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!

Tonight (Thursday, June 25, 2009) is the official opening of Shakespeare in the Park's Twelfth Night,  starring you-know-who, and this is the first really nice day in more than a month; the sun is suddenly shining and the air is clear and breezy. Very good Outdoor Theatre Karma--I mean, break a leg, Anne!

We'll try and see it by the middle of next week--in the meanwhile, here's this:

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/theater/75758/twelfth-night-at-delacorte-theater-theater-preview

Theater
Twelfth Night
A guide to the stars in the park.
By David Cote; Photographs By Joan Marcus

Raúl Esparza (Orsino)
Esparza is still hot from his scene-stealing turn opposite Jeremy Piven in Speed-the-Plow;  he’ll make the sometimes thankless role of Duke Orsino memorable.

Daniel Sullivan (director)
America’s go-to director for Pulitzer-caliber new drama (Rabbit Hole, Proof, Dinner with Friends ), Sullivan is also the secret behind any success this Twelfth Night  might have.

Audra McDonald (Olivia)
We’ve seen this multiple-Tony winner sing classics, break in new, difficult musicals and act the hell out of straight drama. Shakespeare? A walk in the park.

Hamish Linklater (Sir Andrew Aguecheek)
From the Michael Cera school of awkward comedy, this lean, deadpan thespian is sure to surprise us with sneak-attack line readings.

Julie White (Maria)
The woman can get laughs with a raised eyebrow or a perfectly calibrated double take. Comic genius and sex appeal in one zany package.

Anne Hathaway (Viola)
She’s the celebrity draw but no tyro: She appeared in the 2002 Encores! production of Carnival  and won the Clarence Derwent Award for it.

David Pittu (Feste)
Dry yet goofy in his sense of humor, character imp Pittu manages to marry melancholy and daffiness; we look forward to his sad clown.

Michael Cumpsty (Malvolio)
Need a seasoned actor to bring golden pipes, an erect bearing and square-jawed good looks to your classic? Cumpsty’s your man.

Jay O. Sanders (Sir Toby Belch)
We loved him two summers ago as blustery Bottom in A Midsummer Night’s Dream,  and now Sanders returns to bombast his verse as the drunken knight.

Twelfth Night, Shakespeare’s delicious comedy about a shipwrecked, cross-dressed heroine and a snobby butler,
is at the Delacorte Theater through July 12.

Time Out New York / Issue 717 : Jun 25–Jul 1, 2009

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/06/26/theater/20090626_TWELFTH_SLIDESHOW_index.html

‘Twelfth Night’

The Shakespeare in the Park production of "Twelfth Night" opened Thursday at the Delacorte Theater
in Central Park.
"The Viola of the gamine movie actress Anne Hathaway is the marquee attraction that will surely
make the production the summer's buzziest theater ticket."

"Mr. Esparza's exasperated glower and wry line readings give the character an appealing, underdog
humanity."

"The turbulent feelings erupting so suddenly in Olivia's heart are rendered
with a lovely glow in Ms. McDonald's lustrous performance."

Audra McDonald, left, as Countess Olivia, with Anne Hathaway in male disguise as the page Cesario.

Jay O. Sanders as Sir Toby Belch with Julie White as Maria.

Jon Patrick Walker plays Fabian.

From left, Ms. McDonald, Stark Sands as Sebastian, Mr. Esparza and Ms. Hathaway.

"The dark strains in the music, the complicated colors in all the major performances, even the dependable
uncertainty of the weather in Central Park, where for much of June it seemed indeed as if 'the rain it raineth
every day' -- all contribute to the moving sense that the richest joys are hard won, the triumph of love just
a hair's breadth away from the heartbreak of loss."

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2009/06/26/theater/reviews/26night.html?hpw

THEATER REVIEW | 'TWELFTH NIGHT'
I Love You, You’re Perfect.
You’re a Girl?

Anne Hathaway and Raúl Esparza in the Shakespeare in the Park production of "Twelfth Night,"
at the Delacorte Theater.

By CHARLES ISHERWOOD
Published: June 26, 2009

“Most wonderful.” The exclamation of joyous surprise that bursts from the lips of Countess Olivia at the climax of “Twelfth Night,” when she discovers that her new husband appears to have divided himself in two, seems an apt reaction to the scintillating new production of Shakespeare’s romantic comedy that opened Thursday night at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park.

“Twelfth Night” is a perennial favorite, and with its multifaceted plot mixing sweetness, sadness and silliness it is also about as surefire as Shakespeare plays get. If the romances are dreary, the comedy may still crackle. And vice versa. But this polished staging, expertly directed by Daniel Sullivan, is the most consistently pleasurable the city has seen in at least a decade. And it is certainly one of the most accomplished Shakespeare in the Park productions the Public Theater has fielded in some time. Incidentally — or perhaps not — the varied talents of its all-American lead cast help restore faith in the city’s ability to cast Shakespeare in depth.

All together now: most wonderful!

The Viola of the gamine movie actress Anne Hathaway is the marquee attraction that will surely make this production the summer’s buzziest theater ticket. But among the many pleasures of her performances is its effortless modesty. On screen or onstage Ms. Hathaway possesses the unmistakable glow of a natural star, but she dives smoothly and with obvious pleasure into the embrace of a cohesive ensemble cast.

A frankness of manner and a brisk emotional clarity are the hallmarks of her performance. As Viola moves from heartbroken over her brother Sebastian’s apparent drowning to heartsore over her love for Duke Orsino (Raúl Esparza), who enlists her to help woo his own love, Countess Olivia (Audra McDonald), Ms. Hathaway traces the transformations with an open manner and a bright humor that feel spontaneous and unforced.

I probably don’t need to tell you how lovely she looks in male disguise as the page Cesario, with her dark hair in a floppy crop. Hard as Ms. Hathaway tried to look harsh in “Rachel Getting Married,” her savage scowl could never hide the freshness of her beauty. Judging by the stylish costumes from Jane Greenwood, Mr. Sullivan has set the play around the early 19th century. In her smart, brass-buttoned blue military jacket and boots Ms. Hathaway looks like a young duke who has stepped boldly forth from a classic British portrait of the era, a bright pink bloom on his pallid cheek.

It’s true that Ms. Hathaway’s speaking of the verse could benefit from a more sophisticated lyric impulse. The wit and meaning are delivered purely while the music is a little muted. But that is a small flaw in a performance of vivid passions in the play’s crucial role, which binds together the various journeys ending in lovers’ meetings.

These include the confusions of Olivia’s instant adoration for Viola — when she is dressed as Cesario, that is. The turbulent feelings erupting so suddenly in Olivia’s heart are rendered with a lovely glow in Ms. McDonald’s affecting performance. She is among the most accomplished musical theater performers of her generation (and gets to sing a little here, fans will be happy to know), but her musicianship doesn’t stop at the level of the verse. In the arcing emotional phrases of the role — Olivia’s snapping to life under the charm of Cesario’s testy challenge, or her instant wilting at “his” rejection — Ms. McDonald limns the surging music of love’s unfolding with touching truth.

Mr. Esparza too is a fine musician who is given a chance to display his vocal prowess in song. But the roguish appeal of his performance derives primarily from his glum humor. Until he discovers the truth about the page to whom he finds himself naturally attracted, Orsino can’t catch a break.

Mr. Esparza’s exasperated glower and wry line readings give the character an appealing, underdog humanity. Exiting the stage in a bitter mood, he is upbraided by a burst of upbeat music. Ostensibly reaching for the hand of his crossed-dressed Viola at the play’s climax, he stops short in mortification at the discovery that he is looking into the eyes of her brother, Sebastian (well played by the excellent young actor Stark Sands, supported by the equally fine Antonio of Charles Borland).

Music, as you may have gathered, is far from incidental to the production. The handsome score is written and performed by the “symphonic folk-rock” band Hem. In addition to the songs — most expertly led by the gifted comic actor David Pittu as a sour ragamuffin Feste — there is music to add color, wit, life to almost every scene, played on a mixture of strings, percussion and woodwinds, the sound evoking a distant era without straining for period authenticity.

Comedy can never be incidental to a successful production of “Twelfth Night” of course. In many cases the roistering antics of Sir Toby Belch (Jay O. Sanders), his clueless companion Sir Andrew Aguecheek (Hamish Linklater) and Olivia’s wily gentlewoman Maria (Julie White) tend to overrun the proceedings, taking over the play as Sir Toby threatens to take over his niece Olivia’s household with his happy carousing. Here they are played with a vivid wooliness but none of the laboriousness that can be so grating. The sozzled staggering and actual belching of Sir Toby are precisely funny without being overbearing; Ms. White’s Maria has a delicious, earthy sparkle; and Mr. Linklater strikes sharp comic notes as he preens atop or tumbles down the steep hillocks of the grass-covered set designed by John Lee Beatty.

Also making good use of the set’s architecture is the reliably fine Michael Cumpsty as the ill-mannered and ill-used Malvolio. One of the funniest sight gags finds Mr. Cumpsty’s grim Dickensian pout suddenly transformed into a giddy grin, popping up in bloom on one of the hills like a mutant daisy.

Despite all the present mirth Mr. Sullivan weaves throughout the production an equally present melancholy. For much of the play’s running time it is clear that the pursuit of love is a pastime as vexing, troubled and potentially humiliating as any human endeavor, a kind of emotional shipwreck that, like real ones, can end either in disaster or salvation. The dark strains in the music, the complicated colors in all the major performances, even the dependable uncertainty of the weather in Central Park, where for much of June it seemed indeed as if “the rain it raineth every day” — all contribute to the moving sense that the richest joys are hard won, the triumph of love just a hair’s breadth away from the heartbreak of loss.

TWELFTH NIGHT

By William Shakespeare; directed by Daniel Sullivan; sets by John Lee Beatty; costumes by Jane Greenwood; lighting by Peter Kaczorowski; sound by Acme Sound Partners; music by Hem; wig design by Tom Watson; fight director, Rick Sordelet; choreography by Mimi Lieber; production stage manager, Stephen M. Kaus; general manager, Andrea Nellis; associate artistic director, Mandy Hackett; associate producer, Jenny Gersten; director of production, Ruth E. Sternberg. Presented by the Public Theater, Oskar Eustis, artistic director; Andrew D. Hamingson, executive director. Shakespeare in the Park, at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, south of 81st Street; (212) 539-8750. Through July 12. Running time: 2 hours 45 minutes.

WITH: Raúl Esparza (Orsino), Herb Foster (Valentine), Anne Hathaway (Viola), Jay O. Sanders (Sir Toby Belch), Julie White (Maria), Hamish Linklater (Andrew Aguecheek), David Pittu (Feste), Audra McDonald (Olivia), Michael Cumpsty (Malvolio), Charles Borland (Antonio), Stark Sands (Sebastian) and Jon Patrick Walker (Fabian).

NEWEST READER REVIEW
A Sweet Surprise, June 19, 2009

Reviewer:

I stumbled into the theater with no expectations and left floating -- it is joyous, with colorful and pitch-perfect performances. The music is so beautifully intertwined that it is worth seeing as a concert. The play successfully gathers momentum and practically brings the audience to their feet. Not to be missed!

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Looks like colorful, joyous fun!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Looks like colorful, joyous fun!

Yes, it does!

http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20287617_20639059,00.html

STATE OF PLAY
Looks like she's having an enchanted evening! Anne Hathaway gets swept off her feet during an afterparty performance Thursday following her debut in the Shakespeare in the Park production of Twelfth Night  at the Delacorte Theater in New York's Central Park. The live performance runs through July 12.

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Wow!  Looks absolutely great.  Can't wait to see it.  Thanks for the review, John!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...