Author Topic: The Brokeback Mountain movie purposely did Jack as a whorl? Anniedid not at all?  (Read 15854 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
        The Brokeback Mountain movie purposely did Jack as a whorl? Annie did not at all?           

Offline Artiste

The subject of this thread still is not a discussion!

Doesn't anyone notice the differences??

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
        The Brokeback Mountain movie purposely did Jack as a whorl? Annie did not at all?           
what is a "whorl"?

pnwDUDE

what is a "whorl"?

I think it's one of them paintings by that guy Andrew. Wait, I think he goes by Andy.  ;D

Brad

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Assuming that Artiste meant whore, I would say that neither really portrayed Jack as a whore.  But actually, Annie came closer to doing that than the film did. 

In the motel room scene, she alludes to the many, many rodeo events Jack attended (crisscrossing the land, etc). And then she states "[Jack] had been riding more than bulls, not rolling his own."

Whereas the film portrays the rodeo life on the road as basically lonely for Jack — all the better to drive him to the arms of Lureen, holy matrimony and parenthood.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
...although I must add that it's just my opinion/observation.  If you've got any other thoughts, chime in!   8)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
I agree with your observations, Laura.  AP also mentioned that he had money once L.D. died and found ways to spend it on his buying trips.  I don't think AP intended to make him come across as a whore at all, but I do think the movie glossed over or eliminated some of the points made in the short story.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
Oh, a "whore!"  I have been wondering about this question for awhile.  and wondering what a "whorl" was ;)

Oh yes, Jack in the book was quite unlikeable to me because he lied to Ennis in the motel room when he could have come clean.  Ennis asks him if he has been with other guys after Ennis says that he has not.  Jack lies, but it was really an unnecessary lie at that point in their relationship. 

In the movie, however, when Jack tells Ennis that he has been to Mexico, the "What I don't know is likely to get you killed" conversations ensues.  This makes me way more sympathetic to movie Jack.  (Besides, JG has nicer teeth than book Jack!)
A companion where none had been expected...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Oh yes, Jack in the book was quite unlikeable to me because he lied to Ennis in the motel room when he could have come clean.  Ennis asks him if he has been with other guys after Ennis says that he has not.  Jack lies, but it was really an unnecessary lie at that point in their relationship. 

I'm not so sure Jack's lie was unnecessary at that point in the story. I don't have the text in front of me, but IIRC, Ennis has just said that he "knows" he isn't "queer," so I'd say Ennis is still grappling with things at that point. I think maybe Jack was afraid of how Ennis might react--that is, he might lose Ennis--if he (Jack) doesn't go along with the pretense that they're not "queer." Admitting that he had been with other guys--lots of other guys--in the intervening four years would have been tantamount to admitting that he's gay.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.