Author Topic: Bettermost needs a commitee of Issues? of Governance? of? Everyone can help!  (Read 17250 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Committee of Isssues?

Offline Artiste

Board of Governance?

Offline Artiste

I had lack of sleep for 2 nights now, and lost over 5 hours last might, because Phillip and Jess need help!

We do too, surely!

Let's try to help!

How?

Could the above help?

Offline Artiste

I have to rush right night to help my brother, oui mon frère qui arrive maintenant!

When I come back, I hope that many moderators, members, and Phillip will have added many, many, many posts on how to help Bettermost.

Let's get it better, and how?

Bashing, Fear, etc., will not help; so let's figure out ways to better and better Bettermost, which is valuable to us all!!!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I don't think I agree, friend Artiste. Phillip and John have done a very good job of starting and running this board, and they are the ones who appoint the moderators to help them with the individual forums. If a governing group were needed, Phillip would be the one to decide and to appoint those he wants to be on it.

I am very familiar with another board which is run more by committee, and the moderators sometimes make decisions that are not aligned with what the founder wants, so it can be more of a headache than it's worth.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I don't think I agree, friend Artiste. Phillip and John have done a very good job of starting and running this board, and they are the ones who appoint the moderators to help them with the individual forums. If a governing group were needed, Phillip would be the one to decide and to appoint those he wants to be on it.

I agree with you, FRiend Lee. Moreover, I'm sure Phillip listens to the moderators and considers their opinions--and even when I disagree with decisions made, I appreciate all of them doing all the work they do on their own time and for no compensation.

The way Bettermost is run ain't broke, so don't try to fix it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I don't see any need to change the way the Mods and Phillip handle things here.

Any time I've have crossed pathes with a mod, they've always been pleasant, quick to respond to PMs, and give explanations when needed.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
I agree with you, FRiend Lee. Moreover, I'm sure Phillip listens to the moderators and considers their opinions--and even when I disagree with decisions made, I appreciate all of them doing all the work they do on their own time and for no compensation.

The way Bettermost is run ain't broke, so don't try to fix it.

Let me say that I don't have all the answers.  I recently made a stupid suggestion to the other moderators here sort of "off the cuff" and they called me on it (without saying I was stupid, of course.)  They were right, I was wrong.  And that's what it's all about.  This is a team effort of volunteers.  Nobody has every right answer, and there are times when I have had to course correct us in a way that is unpopular with some, but there are times when others have shown me I was not going down the right road.  No ego, no stubbornness, and always trying to consider others' feelings along the way.

I think what Artiste is talking about is the Ombudsman position I was kicking around last year.  I actually don't mind if our active residents here would like to find someone to serve in that role, as sort of a way to appeal something if there is a perception we are not "receiving."  That should be someone who non-mods work together to appoint/elect/whatever.  Because admins and mods don't always have the right answer either.  If that is something residents here want to pursue, I'd suggest you guys get together and organize something and then bring it to me.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

Merci/Thanks Front-Ranger, Jeff Wrangler, CellarDweller, and Phillip !!!!

I do not know whom to reply first and therefore, I will to you all named above, plus to members as well as non-members!! Via this post and more later on!

First of all, I do agree that Bettermost is a marvelous and good place, like you all do !!
With that, surely we can better and keep on bettering it - from the start when Phillip (and John? - forgive me John as I don't know you yet) and others started it, it became better and better, yes? !!! So why now not keep on that right path? - Surely, we can with the status quo (Bettermost as is), plus add new routes and/or ways, for many, many many known reasons, as well as unknown ones to date!! The main culture is there in Bettermost, and that is great, and that is why we all like it: First Nations members and others-etc. (of diffferent countries plus nationalities as well as religions or non-religious and races - etc.), Heterosexuals members, Lesbians members, Homosexual members, Trans and maybe other members, and everyone considers this Bettermost as home - common ground is Annie and the Brokeback Mountain movie which did and can still help us all in many wondrous ways!! ! Certain groups need a special place ? - Yes, and that is good too, as well as general forums - plus individuals blogs !!! It remains that certain members are afraid to talk freely - so ask yourself/ourselves why and try to help!!!

Lets us not forget that more and more are becoming members and that open door which Phillip and you/I continue, I cherish that! Do you want it closed? You don't! If you prefer it closed, then say so - since Phillip and others are open hearted like you are too !!! I learned and still learn every day on Bettermost - it's like a school ? !

Change is for the better? That seems to be a question! Of course, we are maybe afraid of changes! I often are, but that has helped me, in many strange as well as known ways!! Changes have already been done, many of them, and likely you are unaware of those? Maybe! So, you are confortable knowing them or not!! We all take turns not liking certain changes - that are what Phillip and moderators and all of us as members diid, and yet, somehow, we are still hereand that is GOOD ! Those who left, some want to come back - can we open the door to them too?

Front-Ranger, if I read you right, you did mention last year (was that before Christmas?) that changes are needed on Bettermost! Remember? I always respected you, highly so! And want to continue that!

Jeff, sorry that I do not know much about you nor you; may I aim to do so, and I ask that we help each other and others!!

Cellar, maybe we had disagreements or misunderstandgs in the past? - Great, that way we can better ourselves and get to help each other and others too!! I know that you have a good heart too!

We all have ups and downs, and most times we accept that from each other and aids one another: that is Bettermost!

Jess, as most of you know was a moderator, and at times at first, she displeased by some of her actions: deleting my posts, but I re-read, and re-asked why and she was a wonderful teacher and became a superb moderator as she became an educator too! She and others (moderators, Phillip and other  members) here have saved really my life often!

Phillip you do continue to be committted to helping us and that is great with your openess! The fact that I am a gay man and that you accepted that on Bettermost, is most helpful and saved my life often and likely others too! Plus straights and others were helped too, with your open forums and open door policy!

Now, we have long time members, and we need help! We also have new members and they need help too!!

Yes, I did think last night in bed for 5 hours that ombudman/woman/person is needed. I'll come back to that!

Besides an ombudsperson, I came to think that also a Committe of Issues is needed too! Then, on the John this monring, you know how artist think that way ha! ha! too- we also may need a Board of Governance!

When those 3 things will be needed? 1- Obudsperson 2- Committee of Issues 3- Boeard of Governance !!!

I think that for now, a Committee if Issues is needed. Because we tends to friendly fight  in some ways on real issues (that is good as are such discussion of issues!), then we become tensed and so conflicts easily arrive, and it's hard to see clear with emotions! A Committee of Issues can help, because instead of dealing with negatives, it will deal with positives!

I hope that you will ponder that for now, and posts many times each of you, and that all (or nearly all members) will.

Awaiting your thoughts, ideas, etc.,
au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

As  am exhausted having done much physical labour, plus other ones, I aim to add something to my last post of to-day's, before I forget, since at my age, I tend to be forgetting having much to do, or I'll rumine on this and not sleep much or at al! So, here are three (3) points, as I  thought as I watched  the movie Rain Man to-night:

This is about what a Committee of Issues could be:
1- to Guide to a thread;
2- to Create a thread or threads;
3- to possibly seek out what is wanted by someone ( a member) or maybe members (and/or non-members);

This First point, TO GUIDE TO A THREAD would help, instead of a or moderators suggesting on an already existing thread, (this would give Phillip and moderators help and repose),
one or more members of the Committee of Issues, suggests to a member or members a new thread already just or recently created which might interests the member or members,
or that the member can create such a thread is suggested or asked and if help is needed or desired for that futur creation of a thread;

The Second point is the Creation of a new thread; those new threads could be suggestions by such a Committee of Issues (as many issues have not yet been created yet, and/or old issues are needs or are wanted to be continued or re-started with the exact way or in a new route or off-route); any member of all the members of Bettermost can also suggest thread titles or create them, and  of course it would be also the duty of the Commitee of Issues to start and create threads that other members do not!!! (Anyone can join anytime such Committee of Issues and anytime quite it temporarily or permanently!)

The Third point is seeking out what are or is an Issue wanted or in need!

Hoping that some of you or all will think about this and add ideas too,

Au revoir, keep care.
hugs!