Author Topic: OT: Most over-rated movies!  (Read 30053 times)

slayers_creek_oth

OT: Most over-rated movies!
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:34:59 pm »
I was thinkin about it and god...there are a lot of extremely over-rated movies out there...so just for shits and giggles I'm curious to see what you all think...

What is in your opinion the most over-rated movie ever!

Mine?  A Beautiful Mind....now don't get me wrong...it was a good film.  But EXTREMELY over-rated...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: OT: Most over-rated movies!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:37:42 pm »
'Jerry McGuire'.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thought this movie sucked.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:38:34 pm »
A Beautiful Mind would have been mine too Chris... hmmmmmm I'll have to think about this....
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:40:10 pm »
No del I didn't like 'Jerry McQuire' either..crap from start to finish

Cold Mountain  & The New World after all the hype two of the most boring and poorly acted films I have ever had the displeasure to shell out cash for.  Nick and I actually walked out of The New World  about two thirds through.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 08:43:26 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 08:42:19 pm »
God Vic, we walked out of the New World too... my whole family, I honestly believe it was one of the worst movies I've seen, and I've seen a lot of bad ones...

I tend to think all of Quentin Tarentino's movies are overrated... I enjoy them, but they aren't as hot shit as everybody says
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 08:48:58 pm »
Hi guys...I loved 'A New World'.   ;D  I even have the DVD and the soundtrack.  Critics loved the movie as well.  I'd never seen a Terrance Malick movie before, but my mood was right when I saw it.  Lush cinematography, massive walls of gorgeous music and a non-linear story.  Many critics said people who preferred straight-forward narratives would not like Malick's work.  Apparently his 'Thin Red Line' was the same.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:24:29 pm »
 :) I so agree with Vik on this one - Cold Mountain was horrible - about 3/4th of the way through, my sister and I looked at each other
and said " is this guy(Jude Law) ever going to get back to his girl (Nicole Kidman) - it was so plodding and slow, couldn't wait for it to be over -
I see a lot of movies, but that one just about did me in for length and lack of action........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:41:30 pm »
'Thin Red Line' was the same.

Now I love Thin Red Line.

I tend to think all of Quentin Tarentino's movies are overrated... I enjoy them, but they aren't as hot shit as everybody says

I also feel Quentin Tarentino is highly overrated.  The only thing he's directed so far that I can honestly say I enjoyed was an episode of CSI.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:51:56 pm »
'Jerry McGuire'.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thought this movie sucked.

Thems fightin words....Jerry MaGuire is one of my all time favorites...one of the few that I can actually stand Cruise in...that and Minority Report and thats more of a Spielberg thing...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:58:33 pm »
No del I didn't like 'Jerry McQuire' either..crap from start to finish

Cold Mountain  & The New World after all the hype two of the most boring and poorly acted films I have ever had the displeasure to shell out cash for.  Nick and I actually walked out of The New World  about two thirds through.

Never saw Cold Mountain and I agree with The New World...boring as hell!  Talking about long and self-important...couldn't sit through it either...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 12:00:05 am »
Critics loved the movie as well. 

I usually tend to completely disagree with what critics say...as most of you know...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 12:46:09 am »
I usually tend to completely disagree with what critics say...as most of you know...

You and me both Chris... and every time I read a critics review of the New World i usually just laughed... overly self important and a waste of pretty cinamatography as far as I'm concerned.  And I liked a Thin Red Line too, New World was just disappointing

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 12:52:44 am »
There isn't much that I'm not willing to sit through but I have a few ...

I sincerely disliked "Thin Red Line" ... I just didn't get the cinematography.  Too many random animals and big named actors who had 5 second parts or sumpn'.  I dunno, certainly not the best war movie I've seen.  Perhaps it's because I watched it with my dad who is critical of artistic movies. Hmmmm - that could very well be.

I asked for my money back after watching "The Blair Witch Project" that was the dumbest movie I've ever seen and I can't believe I watched the whole thing.  I just kept hoping it'd get better.

Alright, now for the hard one ... "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" ... yes, yes it's an Ang Lee and perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch it ... I found the cinematography amazing as well as the scenery but flying martial arts people just didn't appeal to me.  It's just my opinion though - lots of people seem to enjoy flying martial arts actors, I'm just not one of them.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:37 am »
Alright, now for the hard one ... "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" ... yes, yes it's an Ang Lee and perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch it ... I found the cinematography amazing as well as the scenery but flying martial arts people just didn't appeal to me.  It's just my opinion though - lots of people seem to enjoy flying martial arts actors, I'm just not one of them.

I didn't necessarily enjoy the martial arts aspect of the film as much as I did the artistic integrity that it had...that make sense?  It was a beautiful film IMO despite the subject matter or theme...

vkm91941

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 12:55:32 am »
I agree with Blair Witch Project another film that hype built.  Total garbage

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 01:46:47 am »
I didn't necessarily enjoy the martial arts aspect of the film as much as I did the artistic integrity that it had...that make sense?  It was a beautiful film IMO despite the subject matter or theme...

This I can agree with ... it definitely was a beautifully filmed/made movie, even if it wasn't my taste!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Giancarlo

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 01:59:25 am »
I know this is mentioned a lot in the IMDB forum, but I have to say Crash. I saw it twice and was rolling my eyes quite a bit. It is so forced and so contrived, and totally unrealistic.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 05:29:27 am »

Crash (*sniff* I swear I'm over that Oscars stuff now)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (only film EVER that I walked out of half way through)

Memoirs of a Geisha (beautiful to look at but dull dull dull)

Chut up!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 10:29:11 am »
Glad someone mentioned Crash....even if it hadn't eclipsed BBM's rightful claim to the Best Picture Oscar this year, I would feel exactly the same way about it--it's so overhyped and contrived.

Here's another---The Big Lebowski. I liked a few scenes, especially the ashes in the wind scene, but overall, thought it was really not so funny or cool as everyone else seemed to think. I also was one of the few who didn't like The Piano.

On a more postive note, how about the most underrated movies of all time? At the top of my list would be one of my favorite movies, a little-seen gem called Local Hero that came out in 1982. It was Burt Lancaster's last film, though he's not the main star. In a way, the main star of the film is Ferness, the town in Scotland where the movie is set, and all the townspeople in it. It's subtley funny, sweet, beautiful, and magical. Check it out sometime.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 02:28:12 pm »
Titanic.

My apologies in advance, but I would sit through any other movie ever made three times in succession (Crash would be a challenge - can I use recreational drugs while I'm doing this? - but I'd do it) before I'd sit through this one again even once.

Contrived doesn't even begin to cover it.  And when they had such a compelling *true* story to go from, rife with irony, class bigotry, fatal flaws both literal and figurative - the works - WHY on God's green Earth they had to frame it around a ridiculous love story.  It still irks me to no end that the trailer for BBM actually compared the former to the latter.  No two movies could possibly be so different.  Please.  And how many Oscars did it win?  10?  11?  Gag me with a spoon.  Never mind - I'm already there.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 02:32:35 pm »
Glad someone mentioned Crash....even if it hadn't eclipsed BBM's rightful claim to the Best Picture Oscar this year, I would feel exactly the same way about it--it's so overhyped and contrived.

I definitely agree that Crash was vastly over-rated.  But I did like the film for what it was...granted it was fairly medoicre and acting wasn't top notch...but it was still a good film IMO!  But in no way worthy of that Oscar...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 03:08:04 pm »
Another over-rated film....Braveheart...

And I'm not just sayin that because of that cheese Mel Gibson...

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 03:45:17 pm »
Titanic.

My apologies in advance, but I would sit through any other movie ever made three times in succession (Crash would be a challenge -can I use recreational drugs while I'm doing this? - but I'd do it) before I'd sit through this one again even once.

Contrived doesn't even begin to cover it.  And when they had such a compelling *true* story to go from, rife with irony, class bigotry, fatal flaws both literal and figurative - the works - WHY on God's green Earth they had to frame it around a ridiculous love story.  It still irks me to no end that the trailer for BBM actually compared the former to the latter.  No two movies could possibly be so different.  Please.  And how many Oscars did it win?  10?  11?  Gag me with a spoon.  Never mind - I'm already there.

I was giggling at Barb’s comments.  Her comments are always so refreshing, colorful, and straight to the point.  Thanks for the laughs and I learned a thing or two from your comments. ;)  Yeah, I didn’t love Titanic either, vastly overrated with all the Oscars.

Good Night and Good Luck is another one that I think it’s over rated.  Don’t get me wrong, I like the subject matter of the movie.  It was a timely movie with a strong message, and hats off to George Clooney for undertaking such a project.   I saw the movie and was disappointed.  A few Murrow’s speeches hit home run with me, but overall the movie fell flat for me.  I actually liked Capote better as a movie (though I can not stand for the manipulative nature of Capote).  I don’t think Good Night and Good Luck deserved Oscar domination more than other movies, such as A History of Violence.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 06:21:44 pm »
Not to be all Elaine Benes about it, but The English Patient.  Just didn't do it for me, except horrify me with the thumbs thing.  So it went

yawn
scratch
cross and uncross legs
dread
horror
aching horror
yawn
look at watch

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
Sarah, thank you for speaking that truth for me! I forgot about that one.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 11:44:50 pm »
What's hilarious is that I have liked a lot of the movies mentioned so far. Cold Mountain (I actually really liked this), Kill Bill (since Quentin Tarantino was mentioned), Memoirs of a Geisha (it wasn't great but I liked it; I remember this getting bad reviews, though), A Beautiful Mind, Blair Witch Project (it freaked me out), Crouching Tiger...

Titanic is all right. Technically, it is a well-made film but the story is so sappy and cliched. Kate Winslet, however, was really good.

I'm probably gonna get criticized for my choices but, oh well...

The Graduate - What is good about this movie? Somebody please explain to me cause what I saw was what started off as a decent, well-acted film that, after 30 intriguing script pages, began to thoroughly suck. Tepid love story, boringly inane and overlong scenes of Dustin Hoffman driving/walking, Hoffman's character being flat-out irritating, and a lack of Ms. Robinson in the film's second half... I know this is beloved by so many but god, I really did not like this movie.

The Lord of the Rings - The first one, entitled The Fellowship of the Ring, is decent but not all it was cracked up to be. The second film, The Two Towers, is sooo dull. Haven't seen the third.

Closer - What is the appeal of this movie? Clive Owen's memorably fierce performance aside, this movie was very average. Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, and Jude Law are all credible but there's nothing extraordinary to behold in their performances. The story and characters weren't interesting and the ending, to me, seemed anticlimactic.

Crash - All right, one I know people will agree with. Contrived, unrealistic, and Brendan Fraser and Ryan Phillippe are both poor actors. Otherwise, this movie's all right.

Napoleon Dynamite - Kinda funny, kinda inspired, but... No, just no.

The Exorcist - I liked this but it didn't scare me anywhere near as much as it did people back in the 70s.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I'm going to give this one another try, maybe, but it seemed lame to me.

What's kind of sad is how a lot of people put Brokeback on their overrated lists... I don't understand that but to each their own.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 11:49:21 pm »
Closer - What is the appeal of this movie? Clive Owen's memorably fierce performance aside, this movie was very average. Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, and Jude Law are all credible but there's nothing extraordinary to behold in their performances. The story and characters weren't interesting and the ending, to me, seemed anticlimactic.

That is definitely one I agree with...

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 12:15:06 am »
overrated ...

Titanic - left halfway through but even that much was an ordeal
American Beauty - like crash, it bludgeoned the viewer over the head with it's screaming need to vilify suburban life
Saving Private Ryan - laughable, syrupy, sentimental tripe
Crash - nuf said

underrated ....

The Thin Red Line - gorgeous, sublimely non-formulaic, a work of art 
Zoolander - seriously

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 12:29:09 am »
overrated ...

Titanic - left halfway through but even that much was an ordeal
American Beauty - like crash, it bludgeoned the viewer over the head with it's screaming need to vilify suburban life
Saving Private Ryan - laughable, syrupy, sentimental tripe
Crash - nuf said

See and I loved 3 out of the 4 films mentioned above and liked the 4th... :)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 12:46:55 pm »
Loved The English Patient - of course I watched it at home lying in bed - same w/ Cold Mountain.  Both are much easier to take when comfortable rather than sitting in a movie theatre.  Still, I agree that I too wondered if Jude Law would EVER get back to Nicole Kidman!

Didn't work for Closer tho' - put a bunch of 'stars' together & it must (??!!) be great...

Also - even before the Academy Awards - disliked & was disappointed in the hype for Crash.  Primarily  unrealistic - overblown - self important - bleeding heart crap, ie 'there is racism in the world & if I understand & appreciate this film,  I'm ok'.

Totally agree - The New World?  Overwrought.  One of the few movies I actually felt ripped off on.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 04:47:18 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 01:13:07 pm »
I agree with you Jenny about Local Hero. Everyone should see it at least once. I have been enjoying the soundtrack to Local Hero, written by Mark Knopfler, on his CD "Screenplaying." It also has the soundtrack to The Princess Bride and two others. What a deal!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 11:07:39 am »
Hi guys...I loved 'A New World'.   ;D  I even have the DVD and the soundtrack.  Critics loved the movie as well.  I'd never seen a Terrance Malick movie before, but my mood was right when I saw it.  Lush cinematography, massive walls of gorgeous music and a non-linear story.  Many critics said people who preferred straight-forward narratives would not like Malick's work.  Apparently his 'Thin Red Line' was the same.
Hey there, del--

Haven't caught up with The New World yet, but would love to. I've read that those who loved this film really, REALLY loved it. This was the big movie obsession of the past year that, unlike Brokeback Mountain, most people haven't heard about. But some of the behavior was eerily reminiscent of us Brokies...saving ticket stubs, repeat theatrical viewings, detailed analysis of subtle details, etc. etc.

:)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:17:14 pm by moremojo »

moremojo

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 11:23:33 am »
Here's one that might surprise some folks: Citizen Kane, the classic 1941 debut feature from Orson Welles. This is a great film, to be sure, but one that has been insanely and consistently overrated by at least one or two generations of critics and scholars. This is not only not the best film of all time, it's also not even Orson Welles's best film--The Magnificent Ambersons and F for Fake, to name two titles, strike me as more substantial and mature achievements.

Citizen Kane is very much a young man's film--with all the hazards and missteps that that might suggest. It's like the dazzling, even gaudy toy that a young genius has devised, showing to the world all the trickery and cleverness that he has up his sleeves. Technically impressive, the story is painfully hackneyed, and some of the often excellent acting occasionally and unfortunately hammy. A masterpiece, but a flawed masterpiece that is rarely discussed as being flawed--therefore, overrated in my book.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:24 am »
I respect your opinions about movies immensely, Scott, so I was wondering what you think about Last Tango in Paris, the movie that was deified by Pauline Kael. Over or underrated (or just right)?

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:54 am »
 :) I so agree with the Citizen Kane as being overrated - I have never really liked this movie and found it very hard to watch - while innovative for camera angles, lighting and acting at the time, I find it boring and tedious - I know many critics like Roger Ebert have named it the best of all time, but I don't think so.  As to what is number one, I can think of several movies that could be named in its place:  The Godfather, Schindler's List, Brokeback Mountain, practically anything by Kurasawa (sp?), and several others - CK never got under my skin and made me think that I was not watching a movie and to me that is what makes a good one - a film that involves the audience especially to the point where reality and fantasy collide - it is relatively small number of movies that can do that - IMHO................................... :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006, 11:48:49 am »
Another very overrated film IMO is Braveheart!  Now it was a good film...fairly well made and Mel Gibson may have slight chops as a director.  But his acting was terrible IMO and it definitely didn't deserve that Oscar over Sense and Sensibitly or Apollo 13...

moremojo

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2006, 11:53:26 am »
I respect your opinions about movies immensely, Scott, so I was wondering what you think about Last Tango in Paris, the movie that was deified by Pauline Kael. Over or underrated (or just right)?
Hi, Lee--

That's another one that I haven't caught up with yet. I came across a critical opinion somewhere recently that submitted that Brando's performance in that one is the single finest in cinema history (hmmmph--have they seen Heath in BBM? :-\)--at least as far as the 'Method' style goes. The two Bertolucci films I'm most interested in seeing are his first two: The Grim Reaper and Before the Revolution. I have seen The Last Emperor, Besieged (an unfairly underrated movie), and some of 1900 on television.

Scott

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2006, 12:46:50 pm »
I have never been a fan of THE MALTESE FALCON.  I know it was crically praised, but I just couldn't get into it and I saw it on the silver screen.

The ENGLISH PATIENT was definately a snooze fest. I thought it was terribly overrated. I agree with Elaine in Seinfeld when she trashed it on a particular episode.

CRASH is certainly up there as well.  Never would have expected that film to win best picture.  MAGNOLIA and DO THE RIGHT THING were much better films.

CHARIOTTS of FIRE never did much for me either. But it won best picture.

I love THE LAST EMPEROR.  Great epic, wish they made more historical epics.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2006, 03:15:37 pm »
As far as Bertolucci goes, Chasing Beauty is also very good. And I think Little Buddha is an underrated film. (Plus you get to see Chris Isaac act in it!!) But my favorite film of all time is Bertolucci's The Conformist. Dominique Sanda is to die for! I would volunteer to lend it to you but I think my copy is on Betamax (yes I still haul out my 30-lb Betamax player occasionally to look at it).

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 06:56:54 pm »
I gave this movie 3 (count them, THREE) tries because I thought I was missing something, but alas, no, it just plain sucked!!

FARGO.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 09:18:33 pm »
Casablanca

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 11:53:12 am »
As far as Bertolucci goes, Chasing Beauty is also very good. And I think Little Buddha is an underrated film. (Plus you get to see Chris Isaac act in it!!) But my favorite film of all time is Bertolucci's The Conformist. Dominique Sanda is to die for! I would volunteer to lend it to you but I think my copy is on Betamax (yes I still haul out my 30-lb Betamax player occasionally to look at it).

Gone today: Bernardo Bertolucci.  :'( Director of what I consider to be the best movie of all time: The Conformist. A giant of filmmaking.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2018, 12:49:11 pm »
Interesting thread to revisit.

Re: all those dislikes of The New World. I thought Colin Farrell was a ridiculous choice for Captain John Smith (they should have covered up Farrell's tattoos), but I was reminded a short while ago that the film got high marks from scholars of the period for the  authenticity of its sets, costumes, and so forth.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2018, 01:26:04 pm »

The objections to Malick's work center on his substitution of "exquisite lighting, painterly compositions, dreamy dissolves, and fluid camera movements" for the more literary/theatrical tools of plot and character development to move forward a story. I've seen his methods used in many subsequent films, such as "Boy Erased", which I saw 2 days ago, which overused slow-motion and out-of-focus camera work to convey confusion or emotions.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 07:22:36 pm »
For me, The Big Lebowski.  Bleh!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:47 pm »
I definitely agree with that! I could never figure out what the attraction was!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2018, 12:12:05 pm »
The objections to Malick's work center on his substitution of "exquisite lighting, painterly compositions, dreamy dissolves, and fluid camera movements" for the more literary/theatrical tools of plot and character development to move forward a story. I've seen his methods used in many subsequent films, such as "Boy Erased", which I saw 2 days ago, which overused slow-motion and out-of-focus camera work to convey confusion or emotions.

"The New World" and "Munich" were the two other movies I considered seeing one night in Jan. 2006. Instead, I chose "Brokeback Mountain" because the time worked better for my schedule.

I never saw the others.

However, Malick's "Days of Heaven" from 1978 is beautiful. So had fate twisted differently, maybe I'd be hanging out on a "New World" message-board website 12 f'in years later!

Probably not, though.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:22 pm »
I definitely agree with that! I could never figure out what the attraction was!

Ah, a kindred spirit!  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2018, 03:59:24 pm »
Holiday Inn. I watched it on TCM last night. Meh. ...

I wonder if White Christmas is any better?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2018, 10:21:13 pm »
Sometimes classics don't hold up as much as we would think.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2018, 12:24:19 am »
Sometimes classics don't hold up as much as we would think.

I've seen It's a Wonderful Life a couple of times. It's a nice movie, but I'm not overly impressed with it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2018, 11:33:29 am »
Oh, my friend Tina would be so crestfallen over that statement!

:laugh:

That's one of her favorite holiday movies.  In fact, when she still lived with her mom, one year for Christmas she added a sign that read "Bedford Falls" and hung it on the front door.