Author Topic: OT: Most over-rated movies!  (Read 30070 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: Most over-rated movies!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 12:00:05 am »
Critics loved the movie as well. 

I usually tend to completely disagree with what critics say...as most of you know...

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 12:46:09 am »
I usually tend to completely disagree with what critics say...as most of you know...

You and me both Chris... and every time I read a critics review of the New World i usually just laughed... overly self important and a waste of pretty cinamatography as far as I'm concerned.  And I liked a Thin Red Line too, New World was just disappointing
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 12:52:44 am »
There isn't much that I'm not willing to sit through but I have a few ...

I sincerely disliked "Thin Red Line" ... I just didn't get the cinematography.  Too many random animals and big named actors who had 5 second parts or sumpn'.  I dunno, certainly not the best war movie I've seen.  Perhaps it's because I watched it with my dad who is critical of artistic movies. Hmmmm - that could very well be.

I asked for my money back after watching "The Blair Witch Project" that was the dumbest movie I've ever seen and I can't believe I watched the whole thing.  I just kept hoping it'd get better.

Alright, now for the hard one ... "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" ... yes, yes it's an Ang Lee and perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch it ... I found the cinematography amazing as well as the scenery but flying martial arts people just didn't appeal to me.  It's just my opinion though - lots of people seem to enjoy flying martial arts actors, I'm just not one of them.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:37 am »
Alright, now for the hard one ... "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" ... yes, yes it's an Ang Lee and perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch it ... I found the cinematography amazing as well as the scenery but flying martial arts people just didn't appeal to me.  It's just my opinion though - lots of people seem to enjoy flying martial arts actors, I'm just not one of them.

I didn't necessarily enjoy the martial arts aspect of the film as much as I did the artistic integrity that it had...that make sense?  It was a beautiful film IMO despite the subject matter or theme...

vkm91941

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 12:55:32 am »
I agree with Blair Witch Project another film that hype built.  Total garbage

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 01:46:47 am »
I didn't necessarily enjoy the martial arts aspect of the film as much as I did the artistic integrity that it had...that make sense?  It was a beautiful film IMO despite the subject matter or theme...

This I can agree with ... it definitely was a beautifully filmed/made movie, even if it wasn't my taste!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Giancarlo

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 01:59:25 am »
I know this is mentioned a lot in the IMDB forum, but I have to say Crash. I saw it twice and was rolling my eyes quite a bit. It is so forced and so contrived, and totally unrealistic.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 05:29:27 am »

Crash (*sniff* I swear I'm over that Oscars stuff now)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (only film EVER that I walked out of half way through)

Memoirs of a Geisha (beautiful to look at but dull dull dull)

Chut up!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 10:29:11 am »
Glad someone mentioned Crash....even if it hadn't eclipsed BBM's rightful claim to the Best Picture Oscar this year, I would feel exactly the same way about it--it's so overhyped and contrived.

Here's another---The Big Lebowski. I liked a few scenes, especially the ashes in the wind scene, but overall, thought it was really not so funny or cool as everyone else seemed to think. I also was one of the few who didn't like The Piano.

On a more postive note, how about the most underrated movies of all time? At the top of my list would be one of my favorite movies, a little-seen gem called Local Hero that came out in 1982. It was Burt Lancaster's last film, though he's not the main star. In a way, the main star of the film is Ferness, the town in Scotland where the movie is set, and all the townspeople in it. It's subtley funny, sweet, beautiful, and magical. Check it out sometime.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 02:28:12 pm »
Titanic.

My apologies in advance, but I would sit through any other movie ever made three times in succession (Crash would be a challenge - can I use recreational drugs while I'm doing this? - but I'd do it) before I'd sit through this one again even once.

Contrived doesn't even begin to cover it.  And when they had such a compelling *true* story to go from, rife with irony, class bigotry, fatal flaws both literal and figurative - the works - WHY on God's green Earth they had to frame it around a ridiculous love story.  It still irks me to no end that the trailer for BBM actually compared the former to the latter.  No two movies could possibly be so different.  Please.  And how many Oscars did it win?  10?  11?  Gag me with a spoon.  Never mind - I'm already there.
No more beans!