Author Topic: OT: Most over-rated movies!  (Read 30239 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: Most over-rated movies!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 02:32:35 pm »
Glad someone mentioned Crash....even if it hadn't eclipsed BBM's rightful claim to the Best Picture Oscar this year, I would feel exactly the same way about it--it's so overhyped and contrived.

I definitely agree that Crash was vastly over-rated.  But I did like the film for what it was...granted it was fairly medoicre and acting wasn't top notch...but it was still a good film IMO!  But in no way worthy of that Oscar...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 03:08:04 pm »
Another over-rated film....Braveheart...

And I'm not just sayin that because of that cheese Mel Gibson...

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 03:45:17 pm »
Titanic.

My apologies in advance, but I would sit through any other movie ever made three times in succession (Crash would be a challenge -can I use recreational drugs while I'm doing this? - but I'd do it) before I'd sit through this one again even once.

Contrived doesn't even begin to cover it.  And when they had such a compelling *true* story to go from, rife with irony, class bigotry, fatal flaws both literal and figurative - the works - WHY on God's green Earth they had to frame it around a ridiculous love story.  It still irks me to no end that the trailer for BBM actually compared the former to the latter.  No two movies could possibly be so different.  Please.  And how many Oscars did it win?  10?  11?  Gag me with a spoon.  Never mind - I'm already there.

I was giggling at Barb’s comments.  Her comments are always so refreshing, colorful, and straight to the point.  Thanks for the laughs and I learned a thing or two from your comments. ;)  Yeah, I didn’t love Titanic either, vastly overrated with all the Oscars.

Good Night and Good Luck is another one that I think it’s over rated.  Don’t get me wrong, I like the subject matter of the movie.  It was a timely movie with a strong message, and hats off to George Clooney for undertaking such a project.   I saw the movie and was disappointed.  A few Murrow’s speeches hit home run with me, but overall the movie fell flat for me.  I actually liked Capote better as a movie (though I can not stand for the manipulative nature of Capote).  I don’t think Good Night and Good Luck deserved Oscar domination more than other movies, such as A History of Violence.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 06:21:44 pm »
Not to be all Elaine Benes about it, but The English Patient.  Just didn't do it for me, except horrify me with the thumbs thing.  So it went

yawn
scratch
cross and uncross legs
dread
horror
aching horror
yawn
look at watch

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
Sarah, thank you for speaking that truth for me! I forgot about that one.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 11:44:50 pm »
What's hilarious is that I have liked a lot of the movies mentioned so far. Cold Mountain (I actually really liked this), Kill Bill (since Quentin Tarantino was mentioned), Memoirs of a Geisha (it wasn't great but I liked it; I remember this getting bad reviews, though), A Beautiful Mind, Blair Witch Project (it freaked me out), Crouching Tiger...

Titanic is all right. Technically, it is a well-made film but the story is so sappy and cliched. Kate Winslet, however, was really good.

I'm probably gonna get criticized for my choices but, oh well...

The Graduate - What is good about this movie? Somebody please explain to me cause what I saw was what started off as a decent, well-acted film that, after 30 intriguing script pages, began to thoroughly suck. Tepid love story, boringly inane and overlong scenes of Dustin Hoffman driving/walking, Hoffman's character being flat-out irritating, and a lack of Ms. Robinson in the film's second half... I know this is beloved by so many but god, I really did not like this movie.

The Lord of the Rings - The first one, entitled The Fellowship of the Ring, is decent but not all it was cracked up to be. The second film, The Two Towers, is sooo dull. Haven't seen the third.

Closer - What is the appeal of this movie? Clive Owen's memorably fierce performance aside, this movie was very average. Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, and Jude Law are all credible but there's nothing extraordinary to behold in their performances. The story and characters weren't interesting and the ending, to me, seemed anticlimactic.

Crash - All right, one I know people will agree with. Contrived, unrealistic, and Brendan Fraser and Ryan Phillippe are both poor actors. Otherwise, this movie's all right.

Napoleon Dynamite - Kinda funny, kinda inspired, but... No, just no.

The Exorcist - I liked this but it didn't scare me anywhere near as much as it did people back in the 70s.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I'm going to give this one another try, maybe, but it seemed lame to me.

What's kind of sad is how a lot of people put Brokeback on their overrated lists... I don't understand that but to each their own.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 11:49:21 pm »
Closer - What is the appeal of this movie? Clive Owen's memorably fierce performance aside, this movie was very average. Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, and Jude Law are all credible but there's nothing extraordinary to behold in their performances. The story and characters weren't interesting and the ending, to me, seemed anticlimactic.

That is definitely one I agree with...

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 12:15:06 am »
overrated ...

Titanic - left halfway through but even that much was an ordeal
American Beauty - like crash, it bludgeoned the viewer over the head with it's screaming need to vilify suburban life
Saving Private Ryan - laughable, syrupy, sentimental tripe
Crash - nuf said

underrated ....

The Thin Red Line - gorgeous, sublimely non-formulaic, a work of art 
Zoolander - seriously

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 12:29:09 am »
overrated ...

Titanic - left halfway through but even that much was an ordeal
American Beauty - like crash, it bludgeoned the viewer over the head with it's screaming need to vilify suburban life
Saving Private Ryan - laughable, syrupy, sentimental tripe
Crash - nuf said

See and I loved 3 out of the 4 films mentioned above and liked the 4th... :)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 12:46:55 pm »
Loved The English Patient - of course I watched it at home lying in bed - same w/ Cold Mountain.  Both are much easier to take when comfortable rather than sitting in a movie theatre.  Still, I agree that I too wondered if Jude Law would EVER get back to Nicole Kidman!

Didn't work for Closer tho' - put a bunch of 'stars' together & it must (??!!) be great...

Also - even before the Academy Awards - disliked & was disappointed in the hype for Crash.  Primarily  unrealistic - overblown - self important - bleeding heart crap, ie 'there is racism in the world & if I understand & appreciate this film,  I'm ok'.

Totally agree - The New World?  Overwrought.  One of the few movies I actually felt ripped off on.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 04:47:18 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"