Author Topic: OT: Most over-rated movies!  (Read 30054 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: OT: Most over-rated movies!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 01:13:07 pm »
I agree with you Jenny about Local Hero. Everyone should see it at least once. I have been enjoying the soundtrack to Local Hero, written by Mark Knopfler, on his CD "Screenplaying." It also has the soundtrack to The Princess Bride and two others. What a deal!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 11:07:39 am »
Hi guys...I loved 'A New World'.   ;D  I even have the DVD and the soundtrack.  Critics loved the movie as well.  I'd never seen a Terrance Malick movie before, but my mood was right when I saw it.  Lush cinematography, massive walls of gorgeous music and a non-linear story.  Many critics said people who preferred straight-forward narratives would not like Malick's work.  Apparently his 'Thin Red Line' was the same.
Hey there, del--

Haven't caught up with The New World yet, but would love to. I've read that those who loved this film really, REALLY loved it. This was the big movie obsession of the past year that, unlike Brokeback Mountain, most people haven't heard about. But some of the behavior was eerily reminiscent of us Brokies...saving ticket stubs, repeat theatrical viewings, detailed analysis of subtle details, etc. etc.

:)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:17:14 pm by moremojo »

moremojo

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 11:23:33 am »
Here's one that might surprise some folks: Citizen Kane, the classic 1941 debut feature from Orson Welles. This is a great film, to be sure, but one that has been insanely and consistently overrated by at least one or two generations of critics and scholars. This is not only not the best film of all time, it's also not even Orson Welles's best film--The Magnificent Ambersons and F for Fake, to name two titles, strike me as more substantial and mature achievements.

Citizen Kane is very much a young man's film--with all the hazards and missteps that that might suggest. It's like the dazzling, even gaudy toy that a young genius has devised, showing to the world all the trickery and cleverness that he has up his sleeves. Technically impressive, the story is painfully hackneyed, and some of the often excellent acting occasionally and unfortunately hammy. A masterpiece, but a flawed masterpiece that is rarely discussed as being flawed--therefore, overrated in my book.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:24 am »
I respect your opinions about movies immensely, Scott, so I was wondering what you think about Last Tango in Paris, the movie that was deified by Pauline Kael. Over or underrated (or just right)?

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:54 am »
 :) I so agree with the Citizen Kane as being overrated - I have never really liked this movie and found it very hard to watch - while innovative for camera angles, lighting and acting at the time, I find it boring and tedious - I know many critics like Roger Ebert have named it the best of all time, but I don't think so.  As to what is number one, I can think of several movies that could be named in its place:  The Godfather, Schindler's List, Brokeback Mountain, practically anything by Kurasawa (sp?), and several others - CK never got under my skin and made me think that I was not watching a movie and to me that is what makes a good one - a film that involves the audience especially to the point where reality and fantasy collide - it is relatively small number of movies that can do that - IMHO................................... :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006, 11:48:49 am »
Another very overrated film IMO is Braveheart!  Now it was a good film...fairly well made and Mel Gibson may have slight chops as a director.  But his acting was terrible IMO and it definitely didn't deserve that Oscar over Sense and Sensibitly or Apollo 13...

moremojo

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2006, 11:53:26 am »
I respect your opinions about movies immensely, Scott, so I was wondering what you think about Last Tango in Paris, the movie that was deified by Pauline Kael. Over or underrated (or just right)?
Hi, Lee--

That's another one that I haven't caught up with yet. I came across a critical opinion somewhere recently that submitted that Brando's performance in that one is the single finest in cinema history (hmmmph--have they seen Heath in BBM? :-\)--at least as far as the 'Method' style goes. The two Bertolucci films I'm most interested in seeing are his first two: The Grim Reaper and Before the Revolution. I have seen The Last Emperor, Besieged (an unfairly underrated movie), and some of 1900 on television.

Scott

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2006, 12:46:50 pm »
I have never been a fan of THE MALTESE FALCON.  I know it was crically praised, but I just couldn't get into it and I saw it on the silver screen.

The ENGLISH PATIENT was definately a snooze fest. I thought it was terribly overrated. I agree with Elaine in Seinfeld when she trashed it on a particular episode.

CRASH is certainly up there as well.  Never would have expected that film to win best picture.  MAGNOLIA and DO THE RIGHT THING were much better films.

CHARIOTTS of FIRE never did much for me either. But it won best picture.

I love THE LAST EMPEROR.  Great epic, wish they made more historical epics.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2006, 03:15:37 pm »
As far as Bertolucci goes, Chasing Beauty is also very good. And I think Little Buddha is an underrated film. (Plus you get to see Chris Isaac act in it!!) But my favorite film of all time is Bertolucci's The Conformist. Dominique Sanda is to die for! I would volunteer to lend it to you but I think my copy is on Betamax (yes I still haul out my 30-lb Betamax player occasionally to look at it).

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 06:56:54 pm »
I gave this movie 3 (count them, THREE) tries because I thought I was missing something, but alas, no, it just plain sucked!!

FARGO.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.