Author Topic: OT: Most over-rated movies!  (Read 30055 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: OT: Most over-rated movies!
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 09:18:33 pm »
Casablanca

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 11:53:12 am »
As far as Bertolucci goes, Chasing Beauty is also very good. And I think Little Buddha is an underrated film. (Plus you get to see Chris Isaac act in it!!) But my favorite film of all time is Bertolucci's The Conformist. Dominique Sanda is to die for! I would volunteer to lend it to you but I think my copy is on Betamax (yes I still haul out my 30-lb Betamax player occasionally to look at it).

Gone today: Bernardo Bertolucci.  :'( Director of what I consider to be the best movie of all time: The Conformist. A giant of filmmaking.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2018, 12:49:11 pm »
Interesting thread to revisit.

Re: all those dislikes of The New World. I thought Colin Farrell was a ridiculous choice for Captain John Smith (they should have covered up Farrell's tattoos), but I was reminded a short while ago that the film got high marks from scholars of the period for the  authenticity of its sets, costumes, and so forth.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2018, 01:26:04 pm »
Hi guys...I loved 'A New World'.   ;D  I even have the DVD and the soundtrack.  Critics loved the movie as well.  I'd never seen a Terrance Malick movie before, but my mood was right when I saw it.  Lush cinematography, massive walls of gorgeous music and a non-linear story.  Many critics said people who preferred straight-forward narratives would not like Malick's work.  Apparently his 'Thin Red Line' was the same.

The objections to Malick's work center on his substitution of "exquisite lighting, painterly compositions, dreamy dissolves, and fluid camera movements" for the more literary/theatrical tools of plot and character development to move forward a story. I've seen his methods used in many subsequent films, such as "Boy Erased", which I saw 2 days ago, which overused slow-motion and out-of-focus camera work to convey confusion or emotions.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 07:22:36 pm »
For me, The Big Lebowski.  Bleh!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:47 pm »
I definitely agree with that! I could never figure out what the attraction was!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2018, 12:12:05 pm »
The objections to Malick's work center on his substitution of "exquisite lighting, painterly compositions, dreamy dissolves, and fluid camera movements" for the more literary/theatrical tools of plot and character development to move forward a story. I've seen his methods used in many subsequent films, such as "Boy Erased", which I saw 2 days ago, which overused slow-motion and out-of-focus camera work to convey confusion or emotions.

"The New World" and "Munich" were the two other movies I considered seeing one night in Jan. 2006. Instead, I chose "Brokeback Mountain" because the time worked better for my schedule.

I never saw the others.

However, Malick's "Days of Heaven" from 1978 is beautiful. So had fate twisted differently, maybe I'd be hanging out on a "New World" message-board website 12 f'in years later!

Probably not, though.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:22 pm »
I definitely agree with that! I could never figure out what the attraction was!

Ah, a kindred spirit!  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2018, 03:59:24 pm »
Holiday Inn. I watched it on TCM last night. Meh. ...

I wonder if White Christmas is any better?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2018, 10:21:13 pm »
Sometimes classics don't hold up as much as we would think.