Author Topic: BBM Ripoff, Mockery, or Nod??  (Read 7341 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BBM Ripoff, Mockery, or Nod??
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 12:51:17 pm »
I didn't vote. I simply can't make up my mind if there is a deliberate BBM reference or not.
To me, it screams BBM, but like Steve, Lynne and Amanda already said, BBM is so hard-wired in me, maybe it simply isn't there.
The similarity to Jack is really obvious, I think. But on the other side, the reference to the bar scene and losing half the herd of sheep is something only Brokies would get. 99% of the people would be oblivious to it - so it wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:37:54 pm »
I don't know if it was supposed to refer to BBM or not, but I know there is a lot of posturing and bravado in the traditional Western macho image and I thought it might be making fun of that. 

I thought the contrast of them discussing life and death issues and then asking for more "chocolate doo-diddles"  and "giggle drops" and their breakfasts looking like something Krusty the Klown would market was hysterical.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »

I think you're supposed to want the simple "butch" breakfast in this commercial.  I don't think it's BBM-related, and I didn't see any homophobia.

I agree with Clarissa.

I think what's being made fun of here is the breakfast, not Brokeback Mountain. I've taken it as meaning the guys have to order that twee breakfast because there is no place to go to get a "butch" breakfast.

Besides, I think the cowboys look too old for Jack and Ennis, even at the end of the story/film.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:30:47 pm »
I'm thinking along the same lines as Jeff and Clarissa.  It's got more to do with the usual macho cowboy image being tweaked than with BBM.

Poor guys.  Even the giggly doodle breakfast couldn't cheer 'em up!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:27 pm »
I'm thinking along the same lines as Jeff and Clarissa.  It's got more to do with the usual macho cowboy image being tweaked than with BBM.

Poor guys.  Even the giggly doodle breakfast couldn't cheer 'em up!  ;D

If the characters were portrayed as in any way stereotypical gays, then I might suspect homophobia or BBM mockery, but I don't see that. The cowboys play it, er, straight. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 07:08:10 pm »
If the characters were portrayed as in any way stereotypical gays, then I might suspect homophobia or BBM mockery, but I don't see that. The cowboys play it, er, straight. ...

well so did Jack and Ennis!!

the lighting, the jacket and hat that the one was wearing, how he turns his head...all really evokes Jack to me...even the tone of his voice.

maybe an 'inside' joke? maybe someone on the ad team is a brokie!!

I dont see it as being homophobic though....

they are taking a slam at IHOP...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:17 pm »
I voted

What? I dont get it? It doesnt' have anything to do with BBM.

I saw the commercial on TV.  Never once made me think of BBM.  IMO, it was just a commercial using archetypal  characters to represent tough, serious and macho men and juxtapositioned them with cartoon/kiddie pancakes for humorous effect.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 07:19:36 pm »
so did I, Del.  The gloomy discussion over breakfast in a seedy diner looked like a stereotypical Western image, not related to BBM.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:15 pm »
so did I, Del.  The gloomy discussion over breakfast in a seedy diner looked like a stereotypical Western image, not related to BBM.

It actually made me think more of the movie Country with Sam Shepherd if you ever saw it.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 09:27:52 pm »

It reminded me more, of the others saying that it makes fun of IHOP.  Their silly fruity and sweet breakfasts.  They
are saying that they are manly men, wanting a more manly choice for breakfast.  But on the other hand when faced
with the hard fact.  They want do diddles and etc on their sweet treats.   I have seen that commercial several times.
It never brought BBM to mind until this post was made.

Beautiful mind