Author Topic: Appalling Animal Abuse in Commercials  (Read 37691 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Appalling Animal Abuse in Commercials
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:08:31 am »
Have you all seen the commercial for asthma where they throw a goldfish on a table and allow it to flip around and suffer, gasping for air?

I realize the commercial brings forth a good message about asthma. But to take an innocent animal and allow it to suffer is beyond my comprehension. Especially in this day and age when they could have easily used computer animation to prove their point.

It's time to STOP the animal abuse in order to make a quick buck. The next time I see that terrible commercial I will take note of the name of the company and email them about it. I'll be emailing PETA in a quick minute. This sort of thing MUST stop now. >:(

:'(  :'(  :'(

It's just not fair at all! :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Appalling Animal Abuse in Commercials
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:13:28 am »
Have you all seen the commercial for asthma where they throw a goldfish on a table and allow it to flip around and suffer, gasping for air?

I realize the commercial brings forth a good message about asthma. But to take an innocent animal and allow it to suffer is beyond my comprehension. Especially in this day and age when they could have easily used computer animation to prove their point.

It's time to STOP the animal abuse in order to make a quick buck. The next time I see that terrible commercial I will take note of the name of the company and email them about it. I'll be emailing PETA in a quick minute. This sort of thing MUST stop now. >:(

:'(  :'(  :'(

It's just not fair at all! :(

I dont' know why but some people don't think fish feel like cats and dogs do...can you imagine them choking a dog to make the point? of course not!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:16:57 am »
I dont' know why but some people don't think fish feel like cats and dogs do...can you imagine them choking a dog to make the point? of course not!

If they don't think or have feelings, why do so many people love them and keep them as pets? They do have feelings (and I realize we are on the same page here Jess.... I'm just saying this in order to vent and make a point to others). Much study has been done on fish. They are not the smartest of the animals, no. But they are living creatures, and they do think and feel and fear. Just like us.

That poor fish was scared for his life! I just cry every time I see that commercial.

I have a strong feeling there have been many nasty emails sent about this commercial. The next time I see it I'll be sending a nasty-gram too! >:(

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:50:01 am »
Oh that is awful.

We dont have that commercial here, thank goodness, I would feel the same way you do, David.

I feel a bit the same even watching fishing programmes on TV. Luckily most of the programmes now, show catch and release, we even have one show, where the host of the show, gives the fish a kiss before he throws it back, but sometimes, they will say, "well this one is not going back, this one is our dinner"...and I think, "oh throw it back too, please".

I know, I eat fish and some meat, and know something had to die for that, but I would rather not see it alive, knowing it will soon be eaten.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:33 am »
Oh that is awful.

We dont have that commercial here, thank goodness, I would feel the same way you do, David.

I feel a bit the same even watching fishing programmes on TV. Luckily most of the programmes now, show catch and release, we even have one show, where the host of the show, gives the fish a kiss before he throws it back, but sometimes, they will say, "well this one is not going back, this one is our dinner"...and I think, "oh throw it back too, please".

I know, I eat fish and some meat, and know something had to die for that, but I would rather not see it alive, knowing it will soon be eaten.

We have those "catch and release" fishing TV shows here too Sue. I'm always so grateful when I see them.

I realize animals must die for us, and I always feel so bad about it....  it is Lakota tradition to THANK the animal - from the heart and soul - before eating it, and I carry on that tradition to this day. My Mother made sure both my sister and I understood the meaning of it and I thank her for it even now - but to throw a poor and innocent GOLD FISH on a table and allow HIM to suffer?!! >:( :'(

What did HE ever do wrong? What did HE do to deserve this? It makes me so angry and sad! >:(

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:13:35 am »
I can see how upset you are over this David.

Make sure you do write to them complaining about it.

Over here we also have a department, where you can write to if you find any advertising offensive. Maybe they have such a department over there too.

I am sure that you will not be the only one complaining about it.

It does not send a good message to children either, thinking that its ok to take a fish out of the tank and let it gasp for air.

Go for it mate, and let them know how you feel.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:30:50 am »
I'm trying to figure out how to email PETA about this.... :-\

Here's the link.

http://www.peta.org/about/index.asp

How do we email them about it? Please provide the link if you figure it out. :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:33:45 am »
Ah! Here it is....

http://www.peta.org/about/c-report_cruelty.asp

Done and done!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:21:40 am »
Those are great pictures of Mickey Rourke and Jaws. So sweet. I love them. Thanks for posting.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:43:23 pm »
I hadn't seen the PSA, so I found in on you tube.....why would anyone do that to an animal?

David, I know you can't see the video, that's the only reason I'm posting it here.  If you could watch, I wouldn't, I wouldn't want to upset you.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ageuz-gF8a8[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »
I can see the first frame on the screen Chuck, of the poor fish's face. That looks like the commercial I'm talking about. It's very cruel isn't it? >:( :'(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:57:29 pm »
They throw the fish back into the water at the end of the commercial, but not after letting him flip around and gasp for awhile. They could have easily done this with computer animation. They didn't need to use a REAL LIVE animal.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
You're right about that.  Why they decided to use a real fish is beyond me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

injest

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »
I can see the first frame on the screen Chuck, of the poor fish's face. That looks like the commercial I'm talking about. It's very cruel isn't it? >:( :'(

the number is 1-866-NO-ATTACKS

if anyone wants to call!

(it is sponsored by the Ad Council)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:10:16 pm »
Thanks for the number Jess! I will call it. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 01:54:33 am »
Did you watch the commercial Chuck posted, Jess? If so, what did you think about it?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:19 am »
Hey David, I'm glad to see you be taking action on any kind of cruelty to animals. Thank you.

I stumbled across the following pictures (at the link) and I immediately thought of you.  :) If you haven't seen them already, perhaps they might cheer you up a bit. It's Mickey Rourke and his dog Jaws. Gotta love a tough guy who obviously cares so much for his lil' dog.  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/32689478.html#cutid1

Thanks for posting those pictures Mikaela!! I loved them! :D

injest

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 02:03:10 am »
Did you watch the commercial Chuck posted, Jess? If so, what did you think about it?

well you have to remember what we do for a living, killing an animal is routine for us and fish are low down the list of critters I feel fondness for....but it was a cruel thing to do. It shows an appalling lack of feeling on the part of the people that made it...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 02:07:43 am »
the number is 1-866-NO-ATTACKS

if anyone wants to call!

(it is sponsored by the Ad Council)

Oh wait a minute Jess! I just saw the commercial again on TV. That number isn't for calling about abuses to animals, it is for calling about asthma attacks - which is good too and a good number to have handy if you are suffering with asthma. I emailed PETA about this commercial. I haven't heard back from them though.

injest

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 02:09:37 am »
Oh wait a minute Jess! I just saw the commercial again on TV. That number isn't for calling about abuses to animals, it is for calling about asthma attacks - which is good too and a good number to have handy if you are suffering with asthma. I emailed PETA about this commercial. I haven't heard back from them though.

well I think that since that is the people that MADE the commercial that calling them might be good too. They should know how the commercial is being seen...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 02:10:35 am »
well you have to remember what we do for a living, killing an animal is routine for us and fish are low down the list of critters I feel fondness for....but it was a cruel thing to do. It shows an appalling lack of feeling on the part of the people that made it...

That right there is what I was hoping you'd say! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 02:12:01 am »
well I think that since that is the people that MADE the commercial that calling them might be good too. They should know how the commercial is being seen...

That's a good point honey! I didn't think about it like that. I will call them tomorrow.

injest

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »
another thing I dont' like...the way they treat lobsters when they cook them on cooking shows. I was just watching an Iron Chef and they pulled the tail off a lobster and stuck him in some boiling water.  >:( >:( >:(

just KILL him, why do they have to do that? I am all for eating animals but you CAN limit the distress you put them thru. And I dont' like how people like the announcers laugh about the poor lobster trying to crawl away..

:'( :'(

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 02:42:11 pm »
I would reckon it probably is computer gernerated. They'd - rightly - get into so much trouble if this was real.

Did you hear back David?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 06:36:06 pm »
another thing I dont' like...the way they treat lobsters when they cook them on cooking shows. I was just watching an Iron Chef and they pulled the tail off a lobster and stuck him in some boiling water.  >:( >:( >:(

just KILL him, why do they have to do that? I am all for eating animals but you CAN limit the distress you put them thru. And I dont' like how people like the announcers laugh about the poor lobster trying to crawl away..

:'( :'(

I have only ever seen gordon ramsay kill a lobster humanely. He keeps them cool so their systems slow down a bit. Then one very sharp quick blow with a large chefs knife. Horrid to watch but very quick.
He is arguably one of the worlds best chefs and a big supporter of treating animals humanely.He maintains meat an fish are best from animals who have lived a stress free life.

I cannot abide animal cruelty in any form,but have to admit to eating them.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 03:14:08 pm »
I'll never forget watching some lobsters being cooked and they SCREAMED when placed in the boiling water. It was really terrible. I felt so sorry for them.

I wonder why some people insist on cooking them ALIVE? That seems so cruel to me. :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 03:18:23 pm »
I would reckon it probably is computer gernerated. They'd - rightly - get into so much trouble if this was real.

Did you hear back David?

I never heard back Kelda. But I don't think he was computer generated. I think he was a real fish. He looked awfully real to me. :(

They just plucked him out of the water and dropped him on a table in order to make a commercial. I agree, it is a very important commercial with a very good and helpful message. But there are so many other ways they could have done it. They didn't need to make an innocent animal suffer.

I hope he was computer generated. But I don't think so. :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 03:27:37 pm »
When I was kid my sister took my fantail goldfish out of their water and she nailed them to the front porch. I was visiting a friend when she did it. :(

That was awful. And it took me a long time to get over it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 04:00:20 pm »
When I was kid my sister took my fantail goldfish out of their water and she nailed them to the front porch. I was visiting a friend when she did it. :(

That was awful. And it took me a long time to get over it.

I remember you told us about that..  >:(

I found this btw - sees the fish was real..

http://urbansemiotic.com/2005/10/22/hurting-fish-for-asthma-awareness/
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 06:38:49 pm »
I'll never forget watching some lobsters being cooked and they SCREAMED when placed in the boiling water. It was really terrible. I felt so sorry for them.

I wonder why some people insist on cooking them ALIVE? That seems so cruel to me. :(

David, lobsters don't scream.  They don't have vocal cords, so they can't.  I found this on the 'net, however, it's not pleasant.

Do lobsters really scream when you put them in boiling water?
In: Food and Cooking, Lobster

Answer:  No. That is a myth.

Lobsters do not have vocal chords and are therefore incapable of screaming. The sound heard is actually steam being released from between the animal's body and its carapace (or shell covering)

This however, does NOT mean that the lobster dies pain-free. In fact, though it cannot see or hear very well, it is has a very sensitive tactile sense (or sense of touch). FYI: Zoologists have confirmed that it takes the average lobster between 35-45 seconds to die. And yes, they do feel pain.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_lobsters_really_scream_when_you_put_them_in_boiling_water

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 07:12:30 pm »
That's for clarifying that Chuck. But it's still a very awful sound. And I'm glad they pointed out that the lobsters DO feel pain. I always suspected they did. I wonder why people wish to cook them alive? I never understood it. ???

Offline optom3

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 11:18:35 pm »
That's for clarifying that Chuck. But it's still a very awful sound. And I'm glad they pointed out that the lobsters DO feel pain. I always suspected they did. I wonder why people wish to cook them alive? I never understood it. ???

It's like the fishermen who say the dirty great big hook in a fishes mouth does not hurt them.
I never believed that.Surely any creature with even the most rudimentary sensory system has the capacity to feel pain.??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:04 pm »
Yes, I think you are correct Fiona.

I think all animals can feel pain. A shark is a fish. I've heard one of the best defenses against a shark attack is to punch the animal in the gills. He will most likey swim away. Why would he? Because it hurts him.

injest

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:00 pm »
well pain is natures way of telling an animal that it is in danger...it provokes the animal to try to avoid whatever is causing the pain...so of COURSE they all feel pain.

it is our responsibility as thinking beings to try to make sure they dont' feel any more pain than is absolutely necessary

Offline optom3

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 12:15:49 am »
There are few things I find more upsetting than animal or child cruelty. I can't even bear to watch the adverts asking for donations to help keep some of the poor abandoned animals.
We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and both cats and two of the dogs were rescue animals.The golden retriever had really suffered in the 4 years before we got her, and she is so docile and sweet,it breaks my heart to think of what she has been through.I am amazed that her temperament is so good considering her life.

injest

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 12:19:20 am »
Sunday someone went shopping at the Longview mall and left a big dog in their car. He died.

>:( >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 12:32:34 am »
Sunday someone went shopping at the Longview mall and left a big dog in their car. He died.

>:( >:(

:'( :'( :'(

My God, who could DO something like that? :'(

He probably suffered terribly before he died. Poor sweet baby! :'(

What did they do to the owners Jess? Did they arrest them?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 12:35:19 am »
There are few things I find more upsetting than animal or child cruelty. I can't even bear to watch the adverts asking for donations to help keep some of the poor abandoned animals.
We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and both cats and two of the dogs were rescue animals.The golden retriever had really suffered in the 4 years before we got her, and she is so docile and sweet,it breaks my heart to think of what she has been through.I am amazed that her temperament is so good considering her life.

I'm so glad your Golden Retriever has a good home with you now! My dog Cody is a Golden Retreiver and he's the sweetest dog you'd ever hope to meet. Golden Retrievers are amazing dogs. They have wonderful personalities. I also love the Yellow Labs. They are very sweet dogs too. :)

injest

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 12:43:21 am »
:'( :'( :'(

My God, who could DO something like that? :'(

He probably suffered terribly before he died. Poor sweet baby! :'(

What did they do to the owners Jess? Did they arrest them?

it was a woman. there are animal cruelty charges pending..

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/05/14/05142009_dog_death.html?imw=Y