Author Topic: Two new books about BBM coming out this year!  (Read 2859 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Two new books about BBM coming out this year!
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:50 pm »
I saw these on Amazon and wanted to share with y'all:

Studying Brokeback Mountain  by James Clarke.  To be released July 2009.

http://www.amazon.com/Studying-Brokeback-Mountain-James-Clarke/dp/1906733066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236282979&sr=8-1

Product Description

Upon its release in 2005, Brokeback Mountain became a major pop cultural event. Striking at the zeitgeist sensibility, the film reminded audiences of cinema's power to dramatize our most powerful emotions and dilemmas and of its capacity to transcend the screen and become part of wider cultural debate. A modern take on a traditional genre, Brokeback Mountain stunned audiences with its powerfully told, tragic love story. The film also underscored the longevity of the Western as a narrative form, despite its fight for relevance in American cinema. Studying Brokeback Mountain compares the film to the short story written by Annie Proulx and considers its subsequent development into a feature film adaptation. The book contextualizes the film within the genre of the Western and cites the narrative and thematic conventions that Brokeback Mountain reinvigorates and complicates. The film is also situated within director Ang Lee's entire body of work, taking apart its textual qualities, its application of sound, its images, and its narrative structure. The volume then considers the film's reception and the range of responses it ellicited from critics, both celebratory and damning.

About the Author

James Clarke is the author of The Virgin Film Guide: Animated Film and The Pocket Essentials: Steven Spielberg, among other books. His work has been published in The Guardian, Resurgence, Empire, and Splice, and he is lecturer and course coordinator of the Film and Video Foundation degree program at Hereford College of Arts, UK.

Also:  Brokeback Mountain (American Indies)  by Gary Needham.  To be released May 2009.

http://www.amazon.com/Brokeback-Mountain-American-Indies-Needham/dp/0748633839/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236283141&sr=8-1

Product Description

Brokeback Mountain signalled a milestone in independent American filmmaking. Based on the popular short story by Annie Proulx and directed by the Taiwanese born Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain situated a love story between two men at the heart of American mythology, spectatorship, and film genre. The film offered both an independent and queer revision of the conventions and clichés of the Hollywood melodrama as well as the western through its studied exploration of the sexuality, repression, and desire of two contemporary cowboys. This book explores the film's central drama of sexuality through key ideas in film studies and offers an overview of Focus Features as a hybrid company that operates across both the mainstream and independent cinema sectors.

About the Author

Julia Ashtiany Bray is professor of Medieval Arabic literature at the Universite Paris 8. Nadia Jamil is a senior instructor in classical and modern Arabic at the Oriental Institute, University of Oxford.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Two new books about BBM coming out this year!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:42:15 pm »
I wonder if the author ever participated in any of the forums on BBM. He must be aware of them, at least.

That's a good question, HK.  Don't know.

However, I'm not surprised there are more books like these.  Some had predicted BBM would be studied in film classes and the like for some time.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:05:38 pm »

Thanks for the heads-up Paul! :)

I don't know if you've seen the recent thread over in Culture Tent started by Kd5000.  It's about a recent film studies text book that came out with a BBM image on the cover.  America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies, Second Edition (January 27, 2009)

Here's a link to the thread: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,32060.msg476076.html#msg476076

I already ordered (and received!) my copy.  It's very interesting.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:32 pm »
Thanks, Amanda.  Yes, I had seen that thread.  Poor Karl got the earlier edition by mistake. 

You should consider adding a review to Amazon.  There are currently only two, one favorable and one not so.

It certainly looks like a good year for Brokeback.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »
I'm glad to see Brokeback continuing to be a topic for thoughtful film analysts and social commentators.  There's no way it wouldn't be!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:21 am »
I'm glad to see Brokeback continuing to be a topic for thoughtful film analysts and social commentators.  There's no way it wouldn't be!  8)

Amen, High Priestess, amen!

The first book sounds interesting. Herr Kaiser is right, it sounds similar to all the analyzing going on in forums. Somehow I had to think of CaseyCornelius when I read the description.