Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259649 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:49 pm »
SPOILERS

Aw, poor Ellery.  That dream demonstrated all his fears and warring emotions, not to mention his very understandable confusion.  And I can't imagine any of this is helping his blood pressure any.   But it looks like the dots are starting to be connected.  He hasn't been in the hospital that long, but it must feel like forever.   :-\  Thanks, Louise!

Ellery hates hospitals.  And so does Colson.  While it is hard for me to write Ellery as vulnerable as he is right now - if he was ever going to be vulnerable it would be over either his love or his career, and this involves both.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »
Ellery hates hospitals.  And so does Colson.  While it is hard for me to write Ellery as vulnerable as he is right now - if he was ever going to be vulnerable it would be over either his love or his career, and this involves both.

Yes, it is a kind of worst-case scenario for him as far as vulnerability goes.   :(
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2009, 03:00:49 pm »
Yes, it is a kind of worst-case scenario for him as far as vulnerability goes.   :(

Well, the Beagle thing was pretty devastating.  No gay man wants his boyfriend to leave him to get married, that's for sure! 
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2009, 04:02:11 pm »
Well, the Beagle thing was pretty devastating.  No gay man wants his boyfriend to leave him to get married, that's for sure! 

So true.  And then there is Fuckin' Bill, who not only cheated on him, but almost ruined his career.  Thank God for Colson!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »
and now back to the thick of the plot!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/301952.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2009, 04:18:40 pm »
and now back to the thick of the plot!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/301952.html

SPOILERS

“I just had an idea. If this is the original crime scene... an we’re missin a knife... then suddenly the toilet is overflowin cause one a the workmen happens ta use it when it’s all clogged up...”

“Ah hah...” Sanchez smiled. “Let’s do some plumbin.”

Ah, yes, police work is so glamorous!  Good thinking, Sergeant Dupree.  :)  Thanks, Louise!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:27 pm »
SPOILERS

“I just had an idea. If this is the original crime scene... an we’re missin a knife... then suddenly the toilet is overflowin cause one a the workmen happens ta use it when it’s all clogged up...”

“Ah hah...” Sanchez smiled. “Let’s do some plumbin.”

Ah, yes, police work is so glamorous!  Good thinking, Sergeant Dupree.  :)  Thanks, Louise!

yep, sometimes police work is all plumbing and toilet snakes!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:33 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2009, 01:38:07 pm »

and here is chapter 55!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/302200.html

SPOILERS

Wow.  What a fascinating look at a ruminating Esteban.  He's so understandably conflicted over his feelings for Ellery and over just about everything else in his life, too. 

He spared a kind look for her – at least she hadn’t changed toward him. Joe, his oldest friend in the department besides Ellery – had seemed to turn on him, especially now that the Griffin thing was coming apart. It was like being the man standing on the streetcorner doing nothing in particular when somebody gets punched in the kidneys.

The way he went to the hospital determined to see Ellery, but then balked and left the card instead really moved me.  This was beautifully written, Louise, with such depth and humanity.  Thank you!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »
SPOILERS

Wow.  What a fascinating look at a ruminating Esteban.  He's so understandably conflicted over his feelings for Ellery and over just about everything else in his life, too. 

He spared a kind look for her – at least she hadn’t changed toward him. Joe, his oldest friend in the department besides Ellery – had seemed to turn on him, especially now that the Griffin thing was coming apart. It was like being the man standing on the streetcorner doing nothing in particular when somebody gets punched in the kidneys.

The way he went to the hospital determined to see Ellery, but then balked and left the card instead really moved me.  This was beautifully written, Louise, with such depth and humanity.  Thank you!

I had originally intended to get much more deeply into the Esteban situation, but it turned out to be a lot more of a group Sheriff's department police procedural - which seems to be what my stories end up being nowadays, I just can't help them getting that way!

Which means maybe I have to do a real Esteban-centric story one of these days!!