Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259694 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 02:57:02 am »
and ta da!

Chapter 12:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/291210.html

SPOILERS

Still no memory of Colson...yikes! That's scary.

The memories of Ellery's 'bad hair days' were hilarious though.  :)

thanks Louise.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 07:48:10 am »
SPOILERS

Still no memory of Colson...yikes! That's scary.

It sure is.   My medical knowledge is almost nil, but that doesn't seem like a good sign .... but he is conscious and thinking.

Yeah, the memories of high school and the bad haircut were so well done!   Easy to understand why Ellery likes to wear his hair so long now!

But that memory thing ..... :-\    You've got us all hooked once more, Louise!   
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 12:21:08 pm »
I just posted a reply to the Nervous Nellie brigade assembling in the comments of the last chapter and all I can say is, read the label!

I have never seen fit to write a warning on a story before, but in this case I did, with some very specific guidelines.  I also gave nervous readers the option of spoiling the plot for them privately if they want it spoiled.  So everybody's got a choice here!

And just as a point of interest, I have personal knowledge and experience of retrograde amnesia (amnesia that occurs from the point of injury backward).  I once was hired to perform in a wedding ceremony as the singer and got all gussied up (ended up in the same color dress as the bridesmaids, peculiarly enough), and the wedding was a second marriage for two forty-somethings who were living together but wanted to confirm a commitment.  They arranged their wedding on a boat, which I believe was a medium-sized yacht, in Lake Union in Seattle.  While the bride was going to and fro up the gangplank before dressing for the ceremony, she tripped over her shoe and landed in the lake, getting a rather savage bump on the head in the process.  After taking some aspirin and temporarily attiring herself in my change of clothes which I had handy, they decided to go on with it, and the ceremony proceeded per normal followed by a reception with about 40 people seated on the deck.  I found out the following week that the bride soon began to suffer from severe headaches, and following the ceremony, promptly - forgot it, as well as the events of the previous couple of months, including the decision to marry.  The marriage was annulled.  I don't know if she ever retrieved her memory of that period of time, but it was enough to cancel one marriage!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:23 pm »
"Nervous Nellie Brigade" -  :laugh:

Yeah, I remember your caveats and I'll hold on to that and see where we go.  It's an amazing ride.

I found out the following week that the bride soon began to suffer from severe headaches, and following the ceremony, promptly - forgot it, as well as the events of the previous couple of months, including the decision to marry.  The marriage was annulled.  I don't know if she ever retrieved her memory of that period of time, but it was enough to cancel one marriage!

OMG.  That's scary.  All from tripping over her shoe! 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
I had two choices when I considered writing this story:  1) tell people ahead of time how it turns out so that there wouldn't be any shrieking, or 2) tell them ahead of time that we were going to go into unreliable narration territory and leave it at that!  1) is not too fun but 2) might be too anxiety-producing.

All in all, I think it will be an interesting experiment.  But I am holding out the plot spoiler option for anyone who gets too nervous during the course of the story!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 07:28:40 pm »
Well so far nobody has cried "Uncle" and asked for me to give away the plot, so... onward.

Chapter 13:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288382.html

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 11:39:11 pm »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 03:12:25 am »
Well so far nobody has cried "Uncle" and asked for me to give away the plot, so... onward.

Chapter 13:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288382.html

???

I ended up with chapter 1 on my screen, with dr. Henry and Esteban doing the card thing.

I don't know how to go from one chapter to another.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:03 am »
???

I ended up with chapter 1 on my screen, with dr. Henry and Esteban doing the card thing.

I don't know how to go from one chapter to another.

whooops!!!! wrong link!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/291787.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2009, 01:46:02 pm »
whooops!!!! wrong link!
http://louisev.livejournal.com/291787.html

I think that's Chapter 14, Louise.  Here's Chapter 13:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/291556.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

Wow - two chapters at once to read! 

And speaking of Chapter 13 .... well almost every workplace has a Reynolds!  Looks like he's just been waiting for the opportunity to whip out that notebook.  His take on events is interesting - I'd love to hear his take on some of those test cards! This "part-time" job is really turning into something for Dr. Henry. 

Chapter 14 ... I feel so sorry for Colson, Wes and Edna, too.  This type of waiting is pure hell.  No, not a good time to tell Colson about Pam's new boyfriend. 

Ellery opened his eyes and fixed them quizzically on Wes’s face. “When did yer hair turn gray?”

Oh, boy.  Wes recovered pretty quickly, but I'm sure his blood pressure just went through the roof.  Now what?  And who's going to tell Colson?  And since Ellery isn't surprised about the bite on his neck - who does he think put it there?  And ..... well, I'll stop.  One step at a time.   :-\

What a terrific story, Louise!