Author Topic: Time  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Time
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 05:31:52 am »
More random thoughts about time:

Jack is the one who wears prominent (wrist)watches.
Jack is the one who says "Never enough time, never enough"
= it's Jack's time that is running out  :'(.

On Brokeback neither of them wears a watch: on Brokeback, they they onwned the world and all time (a whole summer seems to be a huge, near endless amount of time, especially when you're 19), they believed themselves invisible and nothing seemed wrong. But they were wrong in two of these three assumptions: their time was cut short (by Aguirre) and they weren't invisible (Aguirre watched them). And it is Aguirre, who gives Ennis the watch. F*** Aguirre!

I think Ennis didn't wear the watch because they seemed and wanted to believe to own all time, they did not count it, they did not (yet) think about the end of summer. But of course the watch was always there, with them, in Ennis's pocket. To deny the existence of the watch could not keep the time from ticking down and summer was cut short.

"Never enough time, never enough." is said by Jack at their very last time together. Their time is over, it ends at this very day. So "never enough time" is an understatement: there's not only too little time, there's no more time at all. But they don't know it  :'(.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 09:38:50 am »
So when Aguirre throws Ennis the watch, does that mean time is flying?

(I thought Ennis didn't put the watch on his wrist because the watch band was too small.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 12:10:16 pm »
I love these observations, particularly yours, Amanda -- the race they're running.  I lent my book so can't look it up, but if I recall, Aguirre throws Ennis the watch primarily to demonstrate that Ennis isn't even worth the civil gesture of being handed the watch.

But all the symbolic understandings of it work beautifully too.

I like the "time flying" idea  ::) -- a nice interpretation as well as a classic candy-wrapper joke.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 12:28:20 pm »
bump
Ich bin ein Brokie...