Author Topic: The Coffee Poll  (Read 23051 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: The Coffee Poll
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:17 pm »
I went to school with some Dutch boys. Their families had been ejected from the Dutch East Indies in the 1950s/60s, when Indonesia gained its independence. Lots of Dutch people came to live in nearby Australia at that time. But I digress. I'd heard my Dutch friends talking about buttermilk and how much they loved it. I was looking forward to trying it for myself and had the opportunity one day, when I was visiting a friend's home. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I think I was expecting buttermilk to be thick and rich and creamy and sweet, for some reason. What I recall is that it was very tangy and tart (or was it bitter?). Maybe I got a batch that had gone off. Certainly, I never tried it again.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 06:39:40 pm »
I went to school with some Dutch boys. Their families had been ejected from the Dutch East Indies in the 1950s/60s, when Indonesia gained its independence. Lots of Dutch people came to live in nearby Australia at that time. But I digress. I'd heard my Dutch friends talking about buttermilk and how much they loved it. I was looking forward to trying it for myself and had the opportunity one day, when I was visiting a friend's home. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I think I was expecting buttermilk to be thick and rich and creamy and sweet, for some reason. What I recall is that it was very tangy and tart (or was it bitter?). Maybe I got a batch that had gone off. Certainly, I never tried it again.

Naw, I don't think you had some that had gone off. My recollection, from the one and only time I tried buttermilk, was that it tasted sour. Perhaps it's an acquired taste--like beer. But like you, I was expecting something that tasted on the order of egg nog. Boy, was I disappointed!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
Buttermilk is  a great alternative to ordinary milk in reciipes for cakes or scones. It gives them a lot more moisture.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:09 pm »
Maybe I got a batch that had gone off.

I think that's the point!  Isn't buttermilk a culture?  Kinda like yogurt?  I think it's generally sour because of acid produced in the fermenting.

When I want to make buttermilk pancakes, rather than buy buttermilk, which is not easily available around here, a simple substitute is to add a teaspoon of white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. 

Offline Katie77

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »
I think that's the point!  Isn't buttermilk a culture?  Kinda like yogurt?  I think it's generally sour because of acid produced in the fermenting.

When I want to make buttermilk pancakes, rather than buy buttermilk, which is not easily available around here, a simple substitute is to add a teaspoon of white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. 

I remember years ago when I was a kid, my mum used to make a recipe that required sour milk...and she would add some vinegar to normal milk to sour it.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »
Naw, I don't think you had some that had gone off. My recollection, from the one and only time I tried buttermilk, was that it tasted sour. Perhaps it's an acquired taste--like beer. But like you, I was expecting something that tasted on the order of egg nog. Boy, was I disappointed!  :laugh:

"Sour." That's the word I was searching for. It tasted sour.  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 07:41:42 pm »
I love flat white coffee, made with milk (why isn't that mentioned?), with a little sweetener instead of sugar.
A friend of mine once got really upset when I stirred a teaspoon of sugar into my coffee, and then stirred her sugarless coffee with the same spoon.
But she could taste the sugar! And made me make her a fresh one, without the 'vile' trace of sugar !
Aren't taste buds a marvellous thing?  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 07:50:26 pm »
I had a friend like that too....but it was tea.......no way could she use the same spoon I had stirred my sugared tea in her tea, as she said she could taste it.

There are also the others, who put three or four sugar in their cup of tea or coffee....then DONT STIR IT.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 11:07:28 pm »
Coffee--black.

Most of the time I just use regular Folger's.

Sometimes I buy Caramel Drizzle Folger's tho. It smells and tastes so good.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »
I love flat white coffee, made with milk (why isn't that mentioned?), with a little sweetener instead of sugar.
A friend of mine once got really upset when I stirred a teaspoon of sugar into my coffee, and then stirred her sugarless coffee with the same spoon.
But she could taste the sugar! And made me make her a fresh one, without the 'vile' trace of sugar !
Aren't taste buds a marvellous thing?  :)

I've never heard of flat white coffee. How do you make it?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~