Author Topic: The Coffee Poll  (Read 23046 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: The Coffee Poll
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:25 pm »
I love flat white coffee, made with milk (why isn't that mentioned?), with a little sweetener instead of sugar.
A friend of mine once got really upset when I stirred a teaspoon of sugar into my coffee, and then stirred her sugarless coffee with the same spoon.
But she could taste the sugar! And made me make her a fresh one, without the 'vile' trace of sugar !
Aren't taste buds a marvellous thing?  :)

Yes. We can taste it. :P

I started off drinking coffee with sugar in it, but I've been drinking it black for years. I can always detect any trace of sugar in my coffee. Even if it is just one grain.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 11:19:17 pm »
I've never heard of flat white coffee. How do you make it?

I'm guessing he meant he just puts cream (or milk) in his coffee - no sugar. Is that what you meant Rob?

Shasta, I've never heard of carmel drizzle Folgers before. I don't like sweet coffee so I probably wouldn't like it.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »
I've never heard of flat white coffee. How do you make it?

I think we refer to "flat white" coffee, as coffee made with milk instead of water.

The milk is heated first, then the cup, containing the coffee powder is filled with the hot milk..
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:05 am »
I think we refer to "flat white" coffee, as coffee made with milk instead of water.

The milk is heated first, then the cup, containing the coffee powder is filled with the hot milk..

I have never heard of that before! :D

Learn something new every day! And it sounds good too. I use a coffee maker though. I'm scared to pour milk in it and I really don't like instant coffee at all. In any event it sounds very good and maybe I'll find a way to do it. :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 01:01:01 am »
There certainly are a lot of different ways to make coffee, and I have been amazed at the difference between the countries.

I must admit, from watching so many American movies, that I always picture everyone in America having a pot of coffee sitting on the stove, continually heated, ready to pour. And most people I see in movies have it straight black straight out of that pot.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 01:10:42 am »
There certainly are a lot of different ways to make coffee, and I have been amazed at the difference between the countries.

I must admit, from watching so many American movies, that I always picture everyone in America having a pot of coffee sitting on the stove, continually heated, ready to pour. And most people I see in movies have it straight black straight out of that pot.

;D ;D

Yup!

Americans LOVE coffee. Well, at least they do in my part of the country. I generally drink 3 or 4 cups a day. Always straight out of the pot! No sugar. No cream. No nothing! lol

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:16 am »
I think that's the point!  Isn't buttermilk a culture?  Kinda like yogurt?  I think it's generally sour because of acid produced in the fermenting.

When I want to make buttermilk pancakes, rather than buy buttermilk, which is not easily available around here, a simple substitute is to add a teaspoon of white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. 

Well, oddly enough, the term buttermilk has two meanings (I just looked it up). It can be applied to the residual liquid left after butter is churned (which, I guess, is why I expected buttermilk to taste like butter), or it's "cultured milk" made by adding "suitable bacteria" to sweet milk.

I can also remember my mother adding vinegar to milk to sour it for a recipe that called for buttermilk.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 03:55:58 am »
I used to have a white coffee, but when I started travelling to Asia I weaned myself off the milk and have it black sometimes with a couple of sugars. We have an expresso machine so its usually and dare I say it.... about 4 cups in the morning before work and one in the afternoon  ::)

I'm with you Sue, I think of an American kitchen and I see that pot of coffee sitting there

Thanks Marie, that article is very interesting....but inaccurate, saying its the only place in the world where you can get it.

Coffee flavoured milk has been around since I was a kid in the sixties. As a kid I did not drink it, preferring the sweeter chocolate or strawberry, but as Ive got older, I do prefer it, if I want a flavoured milk.

I am still amazed that it is not a big market product in America.
MMmmmm may be a business opportunity here?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »
Coffee drinkers are rising up against the Tea Party in the U.S., so lately this poll has a different meaning!!

And me, I drink coffee, though I take it decaffeinated or "unleaded" as the mixed-metaphor crowd calls it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 05:13:07 pm »
I pour so much cream into my coffee, that I like to think of it as "cream with coffee"