Author Topic: Fox News - with it's foot in it's mouth - again  (Read 18038 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Fox News - with it's foot in it's mouth - again
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:13:38 am »
Since this program aired last week (March 17), all this kerfufel has happened as a result of a revolted Canadian posting the segment on youtube over the weekend.

The subsequent outrage is what got these pinheads to apologize. At least they appear to be truer than those offered by the chimp shooting cartoon non-apologies from a coupl'a weeks ago. AND on-air, as the offense had been perpetrated.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:41:36 am »
Gutfeld is a comic/commentator who is hysterically funny in his sarcasm and jibes that pervade the left comedy scene day in day out.

Funny how "offended" the left can get, even when the horrible, senseless military is the butt of some good jokes. Hence, it really looks like the foot in the mouth are the ones who seem so outraged.  ;)

This is a response from a nation - not from 'the left'. Your comment is completely political and will be removed!

edit: changed my mind: I will however add how some folks show their total ignorance by defending an invalid cause. There's no defence possible for his type of humour. As Rick Mercer said (as posted in an earlier post):

“If you're going to do satire, three of the most important rules are you have to tell the truth, you can't be a bully and don't be an asshole. ... Being a bully is not satire.”
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:06:58 am »
Playground bullies often think what they do is funny, that doesn't make it humor. 

Good satire amuses both the audience and the target.

Insults by themselves do not qualify as either satire or humor. 

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:50:52 am »
"I'm sorry that I upset people, I'm a comedian, I want to make people laugh."

This is so typical of a faux apology - he isn't sorry for what he said; just regrets the fact that he got a reaction he didn't want.

That stopped just short of saying that Canadians "don't understand my humor."  In those cases, about 90 percent of the time people didn't misunderstand; they just didn't think the joke was funny.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 04:46:38 pm »
No such insults were occuring.

I beg to differ.

Not only did thousand of (mostly) Canadians comment on the youtube posted segment, but family members of dead Canadian soldiers have chimed in. It made headline here in both google (print) news and radio news (I don't listen to T.V. news) for 3 days.

The Canadian (conservative) government ministers demanded apologies as well. You obviously haven't read any of the links that I offered as sources - or for that matter the youtube comments by the people. I guess everybody else is a lefty in your small world.

No. This was definitively intended as a series of insults. And unfortunately for them, they were heard. Doug Benson's sure sorry; he's not likely to work again in Canada for some time to come.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 04:47:46 pm »
I read the Globe & Mail regularly (you have to go outside of the United States to get depth in coverage on things these days) and knew this story was going to blowup when I saw it.  The thing is, Canadians are well acquainted with Fox News on a lot of cable systems and, ugh, there it was on WestJet when we flew to Alberta a few summers ago.  It's shameful that Canadians have to endure the right wing nonsense these people spew all over us, and sure enough, after the insult was out there, more than 400 comments on the G&M site from outraged Canadians who promptly blasted Americans as a group for their ignorance and shamefulness.  Even more surprising was the Kool Aid drinking Canadians who were defending Fox because they are avid viewers, no matter the fact this jerk just disrespected their homeland.  I was embarrassed with a handful of the American replies as well, which obviously came from a right wing website who linked to the story and delivered the talking points.

So there is so much wrong here.

It's outrageous for Fox News to joke about this kind of thing, but can anyone be surprised?  Anyone watching Glenn Beck's deterioration and collapse into total paranoid insanity should already have the message this network is not being run by responsible people.  Viewers of Fox News, Canadian and otherwise, should be able to pick up on that.  And to the many offended, I say, welcome to our world.

It's sad that too many Canadians do that which they accuse Americans of doing - being completely ignorant each other.  Yet I have my official Stephen Harper No Confidence Motion Countdown Calendar (special maple leaf limited edition) and have been following the doings of the neighbor to our near north for at least two decades now.  There are many Americans, especially those close to the borders, who do pay attention to Canada and do value our friends north of us.  I'm offended by this kind of nonsense as well, and find the usual Fox non-apology apology to be as unacceptable as all their others.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming