Author Topic: To Welcome new Aussies....  (Read 19799 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
To Welcome new Aussies....
« on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:33 am »

I hope you dont think I am being too presumptuous starting this thread, but I am hoping for a bit of an influx of new members to this board from Australia.

You see, while all of you in America, have been able to buy the dvd, for the last few months, we have had to wait a bit longer....but the day is close.....

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DVD.....RELEASE DATE.....20TH JULY, 2006

So because I think a lot of Aussies will see the movie for the first time, once they rent it out or purchase it, Im sure there will be some, who will be baffled and and feeling like "what is happening to me"...like we all did....and I hope that they will come in search of a message board such as this.

It will be interesting to see what happens, over the next couple of weeks.....

Meanwhile....if any Aussies do see this thread, and need some answers to what you are feeling, look thru the threads here, and talk to us, we will be here to share your thoughts and emotions.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: To Welcome new Aussies....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:09:22 am »
On the other hand, Aussies have been able to see Our Heath starring in Candy already!  Something some of us in other parts of the world are having a hard time waiting for.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:15:33 am »
I hope you dont think I am being too presumptuous starting this thread, but I am hoping for a bit of an influx of new members to this board from Australia.

You see, while all of you in America, have been able to buy the dvd, for the last few months, we have had to wait a bit longer....but the day is close.....

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN DVD.....RELEASE DATE.....20TH JULY, 2006

Oh my God, Katie! They haven't released the DVD in Australia yet?

Why is this? I have always thought this was incredibly unfair. They shouldn't release a DVD in one place and make others wait.

It just doesn't seem fair at all to me.   >:(

But I do join Katie in welcoming any new Australian Members!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:10:17 am »
Can't claim to be a newbie, but am definitely Australian 8)

Have been wondering the same thing about the coming release date - what sort of 'fallout' are we going to see here?  Will be very interesting, to say the least!

Meanwhile, yes it is very sucky that release dates are staggered.  All it does is fuel the pirate industry (which I'm not complaining about, but still!).  I bought my copy via Amazon back in March and got it on April 8, but even waiting that long was close to torture  ;D.

Cheers to my fellow Aussies

W

Offline dannyboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:52:20 am »
i'm australian too and I think the dvd release date here sucks  >:(  i haven't even seen brokeback since it left the movies so i'm keen as

welcome new aussies! throw some snag on the barbie and grab yerself a tinnie from the esky  ;)

can anybody whose not aussie read that i wonder  :P

Offline Katie77

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 04:53:24 am »
First of all, I am interested to know where in Aussie you are, wolf and danny boy....I am in Maryborough,Qld.....near Hervey Bay.....

Yes, I too was lucky to have a friend with a pirate copy of the dvd so have had one since April.....actually it had just come to the local theatre at the same time as i got the dvd, but I had seen it at Hervey Bay a few weeks before that....I was told that if I bought one overseas it wouldnt work in my dvd here.....apparently the one you got wolf, worked ok.

"Candy" hasnt come to any theatres up here yet, but I have read many stories about it, and would like to see it.

I am still going to buy a new copy of the dvd, cause I want the proper cover....and I am also in luck, because my son is friends with the lady at the video shop, and she has promised me one of the big posters they have up on the wall for BBM.

Maryborough is a very conservative town, when I rang the video shop back in April, to see when it would be released, they told me then, that they had considered NOT getting it in....do you believe that.....I told the bloke he would be very sorry if he didnt....

You know, I feel like making up some little notes to slip inside the videos on the shelf telling people, if they are affected by the movie to look up Bettermost on the internet....

Something I am going to do though......I'm going in there on the 20th, just to see how many copies are gone out for rent....think a lot of the locals, might feel safer watching the movie at home, so I will just check it out...it is so hard to believe, that a movie that has nearly taken over my life since March, hasnt even been seen by so many people.....How could they be missing out on such a masterpiece.....

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:19:07 am »
throw some snag on the barbie and grab yerself a tinnie from the esky  ;)

I think that means put some sausauges(snag) on the BBQ/grill(barbie), and grab a beer(tinnie) from the cooler(esky)!

;D ;D ;D
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 03:47:36 pm »
Wow Celeste, I didn't know you were bi-lingual!  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 03:55:59 pm »
welcome new aussies! throw some snag on the barbie and grab yerself a tinnie from the esky  ;)

I'm not quite sure what Danny said but somehow I picture somebody throwing a barbie doll with a snag in it's hair while reaching for a tin can in..... a something or other...  ???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 03:58:18 pm »
Celeste -

I missed your translation. Sorry about that.

Is that really what it means?  :)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 04:00:12 pm »
Celeste -

I missed your translation. Sorry about that.

Is that really what it means?  :)

I think it really does, but we'll have to wait for some Aussie to confirm, and I think this is the wrong time of day for them to be on-line...
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 04:37:51 pm »
I'm not quite sure what Danny said but somehow I picture somebody throwing a barbie doll with a snag in it's hair while reaching for a tin can in..... a something or other...  ???

LMAO   :laugh:
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Katie77

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »
I think that means put some sausauges(snag) on the BBQ/grill(barbie), and grab a beer(tinnie) from the cooler(esky)!

;D ;D ;D

yeah mate, you got that one right......

maybe us aussies should try a few more phrases to see if the yanks can work them out....

heres one......

I got a mate, he pisses me off, comes over here, drinks all me piss, gets himself pissed then pisses of home.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 06:51:07 pm »
I have a friend, who gets me very angry. He drinks all my beer(?), gets drunk, then goes home.(?)

A noble attempt from a Yank.... but I admit that the last one has me completely stumped.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 06:55:35 pm »

I'm soooooooo chuffed with myself!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 07:51:56 pm »
gees, im gonna have you all talkin fair dinkum aussie before long.....good one daniel.....

I came accross the email, that i got at christmas time, you might enjoy....if there are any words there you dont understand, please ask.....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »
I'm soooooooo chuffed with myself!

I got a mate, he pisses me off, comes over here, drinks all me piss, gets himself pissed then pisses of home.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Do they sell Australian dictionaries at the book store?

I think  I'm going to need one if I keep reading this thread!  ;)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 09:18:33 pm »

Actually, David, they do sell dictionaries out here for translation of aussie slang....

I bought one recently to send to a friend in America, and when I was reading thru it, I had a good laugh, because it made me realize just how many aussie terms we do use in our everyday talking to people here.....and also didnt realize that these every day things we say, are unique to aussies.

Because we were all brought up on american tv shows, we have got a good idea of the terms used over there, and it amazes me sometimes when I email or chat to my yank friends, some of the words that I use, that they dont understand...I have often wondered how any of you understood Crocodile Dundee, us Aussies loved that film, and we were actually laughing at ourselves, with some of the things Dundee came out with...It may be a bit the same with the movie "Candy" (which i havent seen yet), as it was filmed in Sydney and has Australian actors.....

Anyway, cant sit here all day, got things I gotta do, "I'm flat out, like a lizard drinkin' "....
that means i'm very busy........

Talk soon mate....

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 10:08:40 am »
Finally found this thread!!!  Jess (Jess's feedstore thread where I normally post) said there was a new Aussie one.  I've ordered 2 copies of the DVD (one to keep and one to lend) and am hoping they will be in the mail tomorrow.  OOPS, it is tomorrow (12.07 am). ;D  'Katie, you're right about the differences in language.  The word I keep on using is fortnight and it really confuses the Yanks.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 01:50:59 pm »
I know what a fortnight is.   :P

(Two weeks, right?)

Anyway, welcome new Aussies!
No more beans!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 05:26:12 pm »
, you're right about the differences in language.  The word I keep on using is fortnight and it really confuses the Yanks.

Yes Ive said that, and was amazed they dont use the term over in USA....and Ednbarby you are right....two weeks....

some others i have found to baffle...."look like a dag,take-awayfood,he lives in a flat,the car boot,going to the toot,breakfast, lunch and tea

thats just a few i can remember of the top of my head....by the way ednbarby where you from??

Offline Katie77

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 05:29:54 pm »
....by the way ednbarby where you from??

Sorry, got mixed up there, can see you are from Florida....and thank you for the welcome....

ffrn....where you from??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 05:50:37 pm »
Yes Ive said that, and was amazed they dont use the term over in USA....and Ednbarby you are right....two weeks....

some others i have found to baffle...."look like a dag,take-awayfood,he lives in a flat,the car boot,going to the toot,breakfast, lunch and tea

thats just a few i can remember of the top of my head....by the way ednbarby where you from??

Okay. I'll give it a try....

"Look like a dag" - I have NO idea!  ???

"Take Away Food" - Fast food? Like McDonalds or Arby's? Or maybe it means "Carry Out" (take it home with you).

"He lives in a flat" - He lives  in an apartment.

"The Car Boot" - The Car Trunk? I remember hearing some British friends of mine referring to the car hood as a "bonnet" I think.

"Going to the toot" - Another guess. Going to the bathroom (toilet)?

"Breakfast, Lunch and tea" - Breakfast, Lunch and an afternoon snack?

Well.... at least I tried.    :D

Offline Katie77

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 05:54:39 pm »
f***ing four out of six, aint bad........

looking like a dag.......means dressed in sloppy clothes, just looking like a bit of a mess...

"tea", we refer to dinner as "tea".......we also say dinner......i usually say "tea" if we are eating at home or "dinner" if we are going out.....

an afternoon snack is "afternoon tea"......

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
Thanks Katie!

You all will have me speaking Aussie in no time!   :)

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:14 pm »
G'day all.

ffrn, good to see you in this neck of the woods  ;) :P ;).  wondered when I'd start seeing some familiar names over here!

release day today - the day the world changes for many, many Australians.  on that, I posted the following over at Dave Cullen's site this morning. 

Well, I trotted off to my local Blockbuster immediately after the school run this morning.  Couldn't wait to get in and see where they'd put the boys, how many copies, and if any were actually out yet.  All Very Important Information  .   Turns out they'd put them on the shelves last saturday   .  14 copies, all but 2 were out this morning, which is the first day there's been ANY copies available since it landed   .  So it's been comprehensively devoured - with plenty of forward bookings .... yay yay YAY!

Of course, once I found out it'd had been in for nearly a week, I was DYING to know what people were saying when they returned it.  Spent the next hour discussing same with the woman behind the counter  .  She said she's had a couple of "what was I thinking - I let my 15 yr old daughter watch!" type responses, but not a single 'bad review'.  Apparently the vast majority are saying things like "it wasn't what I expected" "it was staggeringly good" and "it made me realise it takes all kinds to make a world" or similar from older, married folk.  Now that I look at those quotes, I see that I'm not conveying at all what was conveyed to me.  Or rather, those quotes do a disservice to just how profoundly moved these new crop of viewers are - and this particular lot are your WASPish, suburban, family types.  Did I mention the husbands coming in all sheepish saying "the wife wants it", then returning it next day not knowing where to look and mumbling things like "it was ..... very unexpected and very good" and so on?.  Mme S, I actually mentioned to the Blockbuster manager that you and I had considered doing a missive of warning to the SMH, and she pretty much said, "judging by the reactions I'm seeing, you probably should have".   

So there you are folks.  Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.   What we half-hoped but didn't dare believe might really happen, is happening.  And it's happening all around the country as we speak.  Can only guess at what the weekend will bring - given the peak nights will be friday and saturday   .

Katie, what you said about slipping little notes into the dvd covers isn't a half bad idea, given the above!   BTW, I'm in Blue Mountains - west of Sydney.  Was interested to hear you refer to dinner at home as 'tea', but dinner out is, well, dinner!  Friend of mine does the opposite.   Such a lovely, old British expression  :)

Howdy to all the bilingualists  ;)

W

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 11:01:11 pm »
Mme S, I actually mentioned to the Blockbuster manager that you and I had considered doing a missive of warning to the SMH, and she pretty much said, "judging by the reactions I'm seeing, you probably should have".   

Was interested to hear you refer to dinner at home as 'tea', but dinner out is, well, dinner!  Friend of mine does the opposite.   Such a lovely, old British expression  :)

W

Hello W,

What is SMH?  And what about supper, you guys ever heard a supper?   ;D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 01:36:13 am »
Hi Wolf,  good to see you here too!  I was beginning to think there were hardly any Aussies here.  I've been here a little while, mostly in Jess's feedstore.

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:29 am »
ffrn....where you from??
Hi Katie, I'm from near Sydney, not far from Wolf.  I think we've met before in the G'day thread at Dave Cullen's.

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 01:41:49 am »
Okay. I'll give it a try....
"He lives in a flat" - He lives  in an apartment.

Hi David, you're sort of right.  A flat is a rented apartment.  A unit (or occasionally apartment if you want to be snobbish) is an apartment you own.

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 01:45:48 am »
Hello W,

What is SMH?  And what about supper, you guys ever heard a supper?   ;D

J

Hi JT!  SMH stands for Sydney Morning Herald, a Sydney newspaper.  Supper can mean tea (as in the main evening meal) or it can mean a late evening snack depending on the context.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 02:22:00 am »
ok...ok.....ive been giving you easy ones to translate....heres a few harder ones....

1.....ridgie-didge......ridgie didgeI wouldnt lie to you

2.....gone troppo.....that bloke has gone troppo

3.....true blue........that bloke is true blue

4.....dunny........Im just goin' to the dunny

5......chunder.......he's pissed, he better no chunder in my car

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 03:07:31 am »
Hi JT!  SMH stands for Sydney Morning Herald, a Sydney newspaper.  Supper can mean tea (as in the main evening meal) or it can mean a late evening snack depending on the context.

Well my guess was a bit, uhm, I mean a  lot off....  I guessed straight male homophobe, but I couldn't really understand the context.  ???   glad I was wrong!  LOLOL  :D

Jane

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 05:57:43 am »
Well my guess was a bit, uhm, I mean a  lot off....  I guessed straight male homophobe, but I couldn't really understand the context.  ???   glad I was wrong!  LOLOL  :D

Jane

Jane, that's hilarious!!! I don't think I'll be able to look at the SMH in quite the same light again.;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 05:59:39 am »
Here's another one for you.  Sook or sooky calf.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 06:01:09 pm »
ok...ok.....ive been giving you easy ones to translate....heres a few harder ones....

1.....ridgie-didge......ridgie didgeI wouldnt lie to you

2.....gone troppo.....that bloke has gone troppo

3.....true blue........that bloke is true blue

4.....dunny........Im just goin' to the dunny

5......chunder.......he's pissed, he better no chunder in my car

These are harder!

"Ridgie Didge" .... hmmmm.... Does it mean "honestly" or "I swear" as in "Honestly I wouldn't lie to you" or "I swear I wouldn't lie to you"?

"Troppo"..... crazy? "That guy has gone crazy"?

"True Blue".....legitimate, or for real? "That guy is legitimate"?

"Dunny".... toilet or bathroom? "I'm going to the bathroom"?

"Chunder"... puke or vomit? "He's drunk and he better not puke in my car"?

Well....remember I'm a yank... and a Hoosier Yank too! You can't expect too much from a country boy living in Indiana.  :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:03:30 pm by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 06:07:58 pm »
I just thought of another possibility....

Gone Troppo... disappeared? "That guy has disappeared?

Okay... I give up.

Somehow, I think I'm going to get an F on this test.  ???

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 06:19:02 pm »
Gone Troppo... disappeared? "That guy has disappeared?

Like Italian for 'too much?'  Or gone to the Tropics?

Anyway, this thread is bonzer!  (Anybody want to guess where I learned that word?)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 07:01:56 pm »
David.....I think you are a "closetted" aussie......

You got em all right......I reckon you would now be classed as a dinki-di, fair dinkum aussie bloke.....very good....

And Ellemeno..."bonzer", that is an ausie term too.....you must have got it from Crocodile Dundee, or Barry Humphries......

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 08:04:11 pm »
And Ellemeno..."bonzer", that is an ausie term too.....you must have got it from Crocodile Dundee, or Barry Humphries......

Nope, but thanks for playing!  It might be a source only Americans know, believe it or not.  I'll give them a hint - bloomin' onions.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 08:56:13 pm »
Nope, but thanks for playing!  It might be a source only Americans know, believe it or not.  I'll give them a hint - bloomin' onions.

Outback Steakhouse?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 09:15:40 pm »
Outback Steakhouse?

Ding Ding Ding!  We have a wiener!  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 10:19:45 pm »
When Aussies say "bonzer"....we mean great, terrific

He's a bonzer bloke

The movie BBM was a bonzermovie

Offline Katie77

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006, 10:31:28 pm »
Heres some more Ausie slang.....i hope you are enjoying this....

1.crook.........I was feeling a bit bloody crooktoday.

2.crook......that bloke is a bloody crook 

3.crook......that tent looks a bit bloody crook

4.crook.....your father will go bloody crook when he sees that

Four different meanings....and usually with the favourite Aussie adjective "bloody" in front of it.......

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2006, 04:31:42 am »
Here's another one for you.  Sook or sooky calf.

Come on now, it can't be that hard.  I'll even give you points for trying! ;)

Offline dannyboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2006, 07:58:36 am »

a sook is like a wimp or a cry-baby  :P  have a lash at these:

he copped a steel cap in the jatz crackers

if ya going down to the loo, careful you don't step on any joeys

strewth dan, your bitchin like a sheila - said to me yesterday at work  :-X

he had him in a christmas hold

has any other aussies mentioned the dunny yet?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 08:55:40 am »
Where you from Danny?

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2006, 01:20:33 am »
Like Italian for 'too much?'  Or gone to the Tropics?
Close. Tropical fever = mad

I'm 3hrs from Australia but we understand most of it. The funny thing is how they shorten words with -o, while we shorten them with -ie.

So what we call the Sallies, they call the Salvos (Salvation Army). (They're still out of favour among older NZ queerfolk for their opposition to Homosexual Law Reform 20 years ago.

There is a dictionary of Australian, it's called Let Stalk Strine by Affabeck Lawder.

Sadly, we're absorbing theirs and losing ours, a mild form of cultural imperialism, but nothing like as bad as we're getting from the US. Have a nice day!

Our answer to Let Stalk Strine is called New Zild.

And the video comes out here tomorrow, July 25, so you can expect an influx of Kiwis. Maybe I should start a thread for us.

Offline dannyboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2006, 05:15:40 am »
Where you from Danny?

i'm from "glorious" adelaide  home of the mighty port power

also home to the most boring people in the whole of australia  :-\

where you from Katie77?

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2006, 07:48:02 pm »
These are harder!

"Ridgie Didge" .... hmmmm.... Does it mean "honestly" or "I swear"

Cripes! The movie wouldn't have been the same if Ennis had said "Jack... Ridgie Didge," would it?

"Dunny".... toilet or bathroom? "I'm going to the bathroom"?
Strictly speaking, outhouse or longdrop. Wooden, 3 ft square, peaked roof, crescent moon cut in the door, built over a deep hole. But no doubt modern urban Aussies call something with tiles and chrome a dunny too.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:46 pm »
Strictly speaking, outhouse or longdrop. Wooden, 3 ft square, peaked roof, crescent moon cut in the door, built over a deep hole. But no doubt modern urban Aussies call something with tiles and chrome a dunny too.

Hey there Shuggy (that's my "Merkin" talk  ;)).  We use "longdrop", and/or "head" when in company  :P.  We're a hiking, camping AND sailing family, so both work equally well.  Dunny I haven't heard used since the last time I visited my somewhat feral cousins in rural Queensland.   

Hadn't realised you New Zillunders were losing your glorious uccint.  Is it proliferation of Oz tv shows, or some other culprit?

G'day, Dannyboy.  Did this  ;D ;D ;D ;D when I read your comment about Adelaidians being the world's most boring people.  While I won't dispute that claim  ;) 8) ;), one of the best humans I know is from the city of ... umm ... churches.  Even runs his words together in true SA style of incoprehensibility - leaving me thus  ???.

Cheers

w

Offline Katie77

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 12:40:18 am »
Hi Danny, I now live in Maryborough Queensland, 200miles north of Brisbane, near Hervey Bay....moved up here 3 years ago, but spent the first 52 years of my life in New South Wales...Sydney......much quieter pace up here....I've never been to Adelaide (the only state i havent been to), (well, except Tasmania, but thats not counted)....I have heard Adelaide is a bit quiet and churchy, knew a lady up here from Port Lincoln, she has gone back there now.

And Shuggy.....I have heard that there are more Kiwis here in Australia now than there are over there....I have known  many Kiwis here, our business partner is Kiwi, so is a lady who works for him, and I have a mate here from Kiwiland as well.....and just something else....and this is a bit private.....I have had six exra marital affairs, and five of them have been with Kiwis...three white, two brown....and that was over a 25yrs period, and none knew each other.......must be something that draws me to them...and I can just see you saying....that obviously they make good lovers.....well I guess I would have to agree with you there...

Havent ever visited the land of the long white cloud, but I have heard it is beautiful, would love to go fishing in the bays there......I just had a giggle to myself then, about going fishin'......with my track record with Kiwis, maybe those fishin' lines might never get wet.....

Thought we would have a few new Aussies here by now, as the movie came out a week ago, but I guess, they are still wondering what the hell is happening to them, and dont know about the message board yet.

Oh and to you yanks out there.....look down a few posts where I have shown four different meanings to the word crook, I havent had any response to that yet...

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:36 am »
Hey there Shuggy (that's my "Merkin" talk  ;)).  We use "longdrop", and/or "head" when in company  :P.  We're a hiking, camping AND sailing family, so both work equally well.  Dunny I haven't heard used since the last time I visited my somewhat feral cousins in rural Queensland.

I had the impression that "somewhat feral" is the norm in Queensland...   

Hadn't realised you New Zillunders were losing your glorious uccint.  Is it proliferation of Oz tv shows, or some other culprit?

We don't all talk the same (as don't you). There is a spectrum, known as the Dagg to Dougal spectrum, Dagg being "Fred Dagg" (the amazing John Clarke before he had his lobotomy and became an Australian), Dougal being Dougal Stevenson, a TV presenter of the old school. On a scale where Dagg=0 and Dougal=10 I'm about an 8.

"Zillund" and "uccint" is very accurate for Dagg=0: you must have been taking lessons from Lynn of Tawa.

There was an interview with Dougal a few months back where he told of being taught to say "iss-yues" instead of "ish-ues" and my Tim has been saying "iss-ues" ever since.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2006, 12:25:10 am »
Shuggy,

A lobotomised John Clark has the power to make me  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.  then again, I'm genetically lobotomised on account of being umpteenth generation dagg. 

further  :laugh: at your bloke and his 'iss-yues'.  alarmingly for those on the higher end of the dagg to dougal scale, we do same at our dagg house - via the good offices of Kath & Kim.  am very fond of screeching "ISS-YUES" when his nibs gets his panties in wad.

there are POCKETS, albeit small, in QLD that remain un-feral.  or more correctly, have deferalised.  Noosa, for eg.  and Katie's home town of Maryborough has recently been found the Happiest Place in Australia, and is far less feral there than it was a decade ago, when a request for a cappucino was met with "what's that, darl?"

BTW, who, or what, is Lynn of Tawa  ???.  daggie minds need to know!

cheers all

w

Offline Katie77

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2006, 12:39:58 am »
Thank you wulf, for letting Shuggy know that we are quite civilized in Queensland....and yes, Maryborough was voted the happiest town in Australia recently....

I am a Sydney girl, so the pace of Maryborough is quite a contrast....its nice to walk down the street here to be greeted by a "gidday" from a complete stranger, ring the bank up, and give them your first name, and they can look up your account number just from that....buy some curtain material and the girl behind the counter says she will take them home and sew up the edges for you overnight, and go to the little pie shop sitting among the houses and buy one of the best pies in australia for $1.10......

Some may say it is slow, but I know every time I go to Sydney for a visit, I cant wait to get on the plane and head back home.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:53 am »
I'm still waiting to find out what that one phrase means... you know the one....

Something about "going to the loo and making certain you don't step on any joeys"....

I'm a patient boy though. Momma  taught me right!   :)

Edit: I know what a "loo" is (toilet) so the part about the joeys is really shifting my imagination into overdrive.  ???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:52:03 am by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2006, 12:57:18 am »
Cripes! The movie wouldn't have been the same if Ennis had said "Jack... Ridgie Didge," would it?

Shuggy - My grandmother lived in rural Kentucky for a number of years. She had a "small, wooden, 3 ft square, peaked roof, crescent moon cut in the door and built over a deep hole" building in the back yard. We never called it a dunny though....

We just called it the "Sh*t House". (replace the "*" with the letter "i").   :) 

Offline Katie77

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2006, 01:15:11 am »
I'm still waiting to find out what that one phrase means... you know the one....

Something about "going to the loo and making certain you don't step on any joeys"....

I'm a patient boy though. Momma  taught me right!   :)

Edit: I know what a "loo" is (toilet) so the part about the joeys is really shifting my imagination into overdrive.  ???

"joeys' could mean two things......

1.....baby kangaroos

2.....prickles in the grass.....i havent heard the term for a long time, but i do remember when i was a kid we use to call those little balls of grass prickles "joeys"...another name was "bindies"...which is more used now.....picture a kid walking in the grass and saying "ouch, i got a joey (bindi) in my foot"

So being a "dunny" is an outside "sh*thouse".....either one could apply.....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2006, 05:27:23 am »
You americans need to start watching home and away!

(I loooove Alf Stewart! Stone the flamin' crows! )

And hello! the very lovely kylie minogue started life out as Charlene in Neighbours!

Strewth - I feel old thinking about the 80s perm she had!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2006, 08:41:13 am »
Kelda, I watch "Home and Away" 7pm every night......

Did you know that Heath was in it for a few episodes when he was about 16.....

What is the story line that you are watching there in Scotland, at the present time?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2006, 09:10:40 am »
I did know that - did he not go out with Sally!?

We're about 6 months behaind you.

Josh has just been murdered (on Monday) and Tasha has just found out she's preggers.

I know that she just went to early labour over there after an exciting explosion so can't be more than 9 months
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2006, 09:10:29 am »
I hope you dont mind me bumping this....there have been quite a lot of new members here since the thread was started, and I am still looking for Aussies on here.....

After reading about the barbecue in Texas, makes me want to meet up over here one day if its possible.....

So please, all you Aussies, let me know where you are, and if and when you would be interested in some get together in the future.......

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2006, 09:20:19 pm »
Hi Katie,

I'm still around, just been busy and only time for the odd lurk.  Haven't even posted much to Dave Cullen's boards lately, other than in the G'day thread.

We've been having the odd get together, but mainly only a few of us at a time, due to time/distance constraints.  We still live in hope of a BIG one some day, with people from all the different forums, and from all over Australia.

Cheers to all the Aussies

W

Offline Katie77

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2006, 09:22:37 pm »
Hi Wulf......good to see you here again......

you probably all ready told me, but where do you live in austrlia??