Author Topic: The History of Chez Tremblay  (Read 7044 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
The History of Chez Tremblay
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:15:14 am »
I notice Amanda has been bumping old threads and others have been talking about our collective history. This is a little summary of our history that I wrote for the Ennis and Ellery thread, as that generated an influx of new members a few weeks ago. I share it here for anyone who is interested.

Folks who have been around awhile...share your thoughts, add historical tidbits, whatever.
Newcomers...welcome. We are glad to have you here. Hopefully our history will help you to understand this place. And...please, feel free to ask questions if you want more info. We have a collective memory here that is amazing.

I just wanted to give a little introduction, who we are and tell you why we are named Chez Tremblay, which I know is not intuitively obvious.

Way back when (like December), people started going to see BBM in the movie theater and as we all know, we have all had varying reactions to the movie--usually a profound, unsettling disquietude that doesn't go away. In an effort to assauge and understand these feelings, I sought out an online community and ended up at the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). It was a good discussion but as everyone knows, IMDb is crawling with trolls.

In late January, one of the regulars (Brandon) got the idea to start posting on the Pierre Tremblay board. Pierre was the 1st Assistant Director of the movie. Everyone at IMDb gets a board, but when Brandon discovered it, Pierre had 0 posts. It quickly became "home" for a group of us (I would guess about 200 folks).

We tracked Pierre down (I was the one who found his email address) to let him know what was going on. He actually started posting (a little bit) and his wife, Nicole, became a bit of a regular. One of the coolest things was that we came up with 10 questions about making the movie, and Pierre answered them all. Here's a great tidbit: the tobaggoning scene--that's was Pierre's idea. The original screenplay had Ennis and Alma spinning circles in their truck in a parking lot. But the weather wasn't cold enough for an icy parking lot and the scene wasn't working. Pierre suggested they go up to the mountains and go sledding instead. And I am sure that everyone has heard the story the Michelle twisted her knee, Heath went with her to the hospital, and this is when they started falling in love. Pierre confirmed this little tidbit of gossip to be true. [The ten questions are actually archived on this board somewhere if anyone wants to read them.]

We managed to keep it semi-private for about 6 weeks. At our peak, we had 20,000+ messages.

Then the trolls invaded.

They didn't just post hateful messages, they figured out a way to auto-delete. They started ripping through the board. We lost 10,000 messages in 6 days. By this time, we had truly become a community of people. A group had gotten together from the board and gone to the Aero screening. Another group was planning a brunch in NYC. The thought that these trolls could destroy our community...it was beyond overwhelming. We needed to find a new home.

And that is how we ended up here at Bettermost, bringing our moniker (Chez Tremblay, to honor Pierre's French-Canadian heritage) and our little band of die hard Brokies (also known as Tremblayans, but I am seeing that less and less).

I think, because of what we went through, we are a very friendly and welcoming group. Philip, who runs Bettermost, is also a terrific guy and has provided us with a happy and safe haven. Chez Tremblay...we try to stay on BBM topics but yeah, we get sidetracked. LOL.

I would encourage newcomers to spend some time exploring the board, not just the Ennis and Ellery thread, and not just Chez Tremblay (although I will admit, I don't venture too far--Anything Goes is fun, though). Welcome to ouir community and keep in mind the thing that brought us all together--a story and a movie that has grabbed us and just won't let us go...for whatever reason.

Leslie
MaineWriter (LazyLFarm on LiveJournal)

PS, Feel free to PM me if you have questions, need more info, whatever...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
Re: The History of Chez Tremblay
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:32:52 am »
I don't want this to sound like an "i'm leavng" post, but after reading some opf the posts and the history of CT, i feel a bit like an interloper.  I too came from Imbd, but way way later, i didn't see the movie till April and found the other site like all of you, and got tired of the trolls, like all of you (original tremblayns) and was invited by one of you to come here, not sure if they were original or not, and thats how i found bettermost, BUT it seems this place was meant to be a private posting place for the old guard. maybe i should find another board here that is more generic..if i have barged in amd settled on the couch and eaten all your food and left the bathroom a mess, i'm sorry, i guess i just never understood what this site was about and the origination of the origianl Tremblay family...sorry....(quietly slipping out the back door, red faced)
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:36:59 am »
I don't want this to sound like an "i'm leavng" post, but after reading some opf the posts and the history of CT, i feel a bit like an interloper.  I too came from Imbd, but way way later, i didn't see the movie till April and found the other site like all of you, and got tired of the trolls, like all of you (original tremblayns) and was invited by one of you to come here, not sure if they were original or not, and thats how i found bettermost, BUT it seems this place was meant to be a private posting place for the old guard. maybe i should find another board here that is more generic..if i have barged in amd settled on the couch and eaten all your food and left the bathroom a mess, i'm sorry, i guess i just never understood what this site was about and the origination of the origianl Tremblay family...sorry....(quietly slipping out the back door, red faced)

NO way GayLee.  Chez Tremblay was always an open community and very self selecting.  Even on IMDb All you needed to do was follow a regular, or be invited by one,  be sincere and settle in for some good conversation, coffee and cherry cake (and the occassional shots of Old Rose Whiskey, LOL).  You fit right in, everyone here does.  No restrictions and no worries

WELCOME  :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:41:06 am by vkm91941 »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:40:45 am »

Gaylee

I apologize if giving the history is making you feel like an interloper because that was the LAST thing on my mind! I never intended this to be an old guard, private post thing. We are a growing, vibrant community and I certainly want everyone to feel part of the group.

For me, history is very important. Knowing where I've come from to know where I'm going and all that stuff. I just wanted to share my knowledge.

Please don't leave....I value your contributions!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:01:24 am »
Yep, as L and Vic said, you're very welcome to join in here. Just because you weren't part of its history doesn't mean you can't be part of its present and future. CT is where we came from, but we continue to grow and evolve. CT has always been a place for us to just let loose and have fun, while sharing our love for the film. Sure, the common history does mean a bond among the old timers, but new bonds are always welcome.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 10:16:11 am »
Yes, I second everything that's been said. GayLee, everyone is welcome - as long as you are not a troll! And you aren't, obviously!  :D

I followed Vic from the BBM imdb board to the Tremblay imdb board and don't regret a thing!

Leslie, thank you so much for the Chez Tremblay history. I had read it the other day, when you mentioned the link somewhere and wanted to thank you by PM. But this way is good too! Thank you.

And thank you to anyone who makes this place such a great place!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 10:28:36 am »

Please, please, please don't even entertain these kinds of thoughts.  This is an evolving community, and just like any community, it's not a static fixed place in time.  The Chez Tremblay moniker is precious to a lot of us, but it's not an exlusionary club.  You're already a part of our family here, so don't go getting all concerned about labels now.  You love the movie and you want to be here.  'Nuff said!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:35:55 am »
Thanks Leslie for this explanation about the heritage of Chez Tremblay, I never knew...  :D

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:16 pm »
ok, now i feel stupid!!  i have NEVER felt unwelcome here with you all, and I totally enjoyed seeing the history of CT, i just wanted to make sure it was ok to be here...i knew it was, but, i don't know, just felt a little jealous of your history with each other..i am such a late comer and having read nothing about  cowboys being fond of each other, i watched BBM the first time with not much premable..i was totally unprepared for the magnatude of the changes it began in me.  It was disconcerting to go to IMDB and have serious discussion interupted by the trolls...when i found Bettermost and Chez Trembly, it was an immediate "click" for me...it just "fit"...I have looked around the other boards, and have posted some, but i come back to CT...
I DID NOT want this to sound pouty, NOR was i trying to elecit lots of begging me to stay posts, however i am truly touched by your sweet responses...i am honored that you want me here and i have learned so much from you guys, about BBM AND life in gerenal...about people in other parts of the world..it has truly broadened my horizions in SO many ways to be here....
SO....thank you...thank you...thank you....
ignore my first post....i got my WAHHHHH out of the way for today....
I AIN'T GOIN NOWHERE!!!
GayLee
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 12:39:03 pm »
When we move into the realm of please stay, don't leave posts it is time to look at the skinny dipping man and put everything in perspective....

One of the best things about our home here at Bettermost that we didn't have at IMDb is the ability to post pictures....

L