Author Topic: The story - translations...  (Read 9251 times)

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
Re: The story - translations...
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 02:50:04 pm »
Translating 'friend' (such a special endearing term in this story) into 'ouwe gabber' (=bloke, pal)?? Aawww, awful, terrible. (okay, I'm flemish and over here we'd never say ouwe gabber  :))

(...)

btw i looooove your avatar!!

Nobody should say (let alone be called) "ouwe gabber", ever! The Flemish are so much wiser than the Dutch, and have a much better way with our language anyway...

I'm glad you like my avatar  :D Here's a close-up, though the scan's a bit crooked. This guy has fascinated me ever since I came across him in Avedon's mind-blowing collection "In the American West" (which was used as a visual reference when they made BBM). His name is Richard Wheatcroft, and this portrait was taken in 1983, when he was 27 years old. He owned (probably still owns, in fact) a big ranch in the middle of nowhere on the Montana plains, but his life had been very tough even then, and didn't get any better afterwards. You hardly need to look at him twice to see that he's Ennis, to a tee.
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 03:05:30 pm »
that guy can't be more Ennis, can he? I first saw this picture in a post by casey cornelius over on imdb. I was blown away!
Loved the picture of the waitress too, i forgot her name.

btw (bis) i loooove the screenplay you have made. that must have taken some time to compile. I have only read the first part, but it's great. should finish reading that, but there ain't never enough time, you know.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:58:14 pm »
that guy can't be more Ennis, can he? I first saw this picture in a post by casey cornelius over on imdb. I was blown away!
Loved the picture of the waitress too, i forgot her name.

btw (bis) i loooove the screenplay you have made. that must have taken some time to compile. I have only read the first part, but it's great. should finish reading that, but there ain't never enough time, you know.

Glad you like it! You were just in time; by now, the site is down because I exceeded my data transfer limit  >:(

Carol Crittendon, from Butte, Montana:
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 04:35:00 pm »
steven,
thanks for that.
It makes you wonder if those people know they were the inspiration for the movie.

have you posted the screenplay somewhere else? I'd love to read the end. (als ik efkes tijd heb natuurlijk  :))
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 07:45:12 am »
Nobody should say (let alone be called) "ouwe gabber", ever! The Flemish are so much wiser than the Dutch, and have a much better way with our language anyway...

I'm glad you like my avatar  :D Here's a close-up, though the scan's a bit crooked. This guy has fascinated me ever since I came across him in Avedon's mind-blowing collection "In the American West" (which was used as a visual reference when they made BBM). His name is Richard Wheatcroft, and this portrait was taken in 1983, when he was 27 years old. He owned (probably still owns, in fact) a big ranch in the middle of nowhere on the Montana plains, but his life had been very tough even then, and didn't get any better afterwards. You hardly need to look at him twice to see that he's Ennis, to a tee.

You don't say ouwe gabber to somebody you sheepherded with in 1963, the same person you started to have sex with during that summer, and the same person you are still heart-crushingly in love with after 4 years of not seeing him.

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 07:46:12 am »
Glad you like it! You were just in time; by now, the site is down because I exceeded my data transfer limit  >:(

Carol Crittendon, from Butte, Montana:

Cassie!!!! :o

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 08:25:31 am »
I've never seen it with Dutch subtitles, and not wanting to is one of my reasons not to see BBM in the cinema. My DVD only has English subtitling, but now that I know all the words by heart I of course leave those switched off.

It's interesting, too, what they do with the title. Isn't it "The secret of the Mountain" in French? I find that a bit tacky, though not nearly as bad as "Two cowboys"...
You are right, not nearly as bad as "Two Cowboys", but I don't like the French title. On some French forum someone once wrote something about why they sometimes had to add or alter an original title when 'translating' it, but I have forgotten what that person wrote. Not sure I will find it again.

BTW, love your avatar too!!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 09:03:56 am »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 09:06:03 am »
You are right, not nearly as bad as "Two Cowboys", but I don't like the French title. On some French forum someone once wrote something about why they sometimes had to add or alter an original title when 'translating' it, but I have forgotten what that person wrote. Not sure I will find it again.

BTW, love your avatar too!!

~ j U d E

:) Don"t get me started on how much I love YOUR avatar. But that goes without saying, I guess... ::)

In the case of this movietitle, translation seems unnecessary - it's the name of a place, and it's called what it's called. There are no cowboys, and there is no secret, so leave those out of it...

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 09:12:31 am »
Amazing!

Isn't it? Though Mr. Wheatcroft's shirt closes left over right, and Ennis's right over left, so it seems. But still...

On another PC I also have an image of Wheatcroft 20 years later - aged almost beyond recognition. I found that moving, but shocking too, and it convinced me that in the movie Ennis ages a wee bit too gracefully...