Author Topic: Fanfiction by Helen (1_of_one on LJ)  (Read 54422 times)

Helen

Fanfiction by Helen (1_of_one on LJ)
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:35:26 am »
Hi folks.  I thought I'd provide a few links for anyone interested in reading my fanfiction.  It can all be found on my Live Journal, which is here:  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com

For specific stories, series etc follow one of the following links:

Some Sweet Lifehttp://1-of-one.livejournal.com/tag/some+sweet+life Now up to chapter five it begins with a two-part prologue when Ennis and Jack are on the mountain and Aguirre tells them to come down early. 

Closure
. http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/tag/closure This is a two-part series which was my first piece of writing for BBM.  I wrote it to give myself some kind of peace after the tragedy of the movie.

Scenes. http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/tag/missing+scenes    This is an ongoing random series where I fill in the blanks of missing or deleted scenes.  There are two stories so far.

Strict Stock Boss/Naughty Stable Boy. http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/tag/strict+stock+boss/naughty+stable+boy    A one shot giving my take on the challenge issued by the Human Interest community

Ghosts. http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/tag/ghosts    Another ongoing random series.  This time about the earlier lives of people who have died or are old in the film.  So far it contains a story about Earl and Rich.

Drabbles. http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/tag/drabble    This is a series of 26 drabbles, one for each letter of the alphabet.  I'm up to S so far, and will finish it soon.  I am also doing the 100 drabble challenge from the stories_100 LJ community, with my subject being Ennis del Mar.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 06:47:30 am by Helen »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Fanfiction by Helen (1_of_one on LJ)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:38:45 am »
Welcome Helen!!!  From a fan and friend, I am delighted that you have linked your fics here.  I have read ... um... most of these myself and consider these fics high quality reading.  Please everyone welcome Helen to Fan Fiction.

But where is "This is the Modern Way" ???  That is one of my favorites of yours!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Helen

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 06:44:45 am »
Thanks Louise :)

Modern Way is about to undergo a fully betaed edit (the lovely Sheera only started 2 chapters ago), and then I'm posting the links openly on the communities.  When I do that, hopefully before I jet off to the States, I'll put a link to it here.

For anyone wanting to read my stories, you should know that I'm disappearing off to the States for several weeks, due back in September.  So, both Modern Way and Sweet Life will not be updated during that time.  You may like to wait till I come back before starting to read then it won't be too long before updates.

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 07:08:21 am »
Hi Helen, welcome! I really enjoyed reading Some Sweet life, it's very well-written and the dialogue is very good. Will you be writing more chapters and if you do, will you let us know here?  :)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:27:37 am »
Hiya H!

I'm so happy you've put up links to your wonderful stories here!

I can't wait for Some Sweet Life to update, do you think that's going to happen before you leave for The States??
As for Modern Way, well that's one of my favourites as you know, but sadly I'm going to have to be really patient waiting for that one to update! LOL!!
I absolutely love and adore the alphabet drabbles you've been doing. They are an absolute joy to read. Really looking forward to the 100!! Ennis drabbles.

:) :-*

Helen

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 07:14:12 pm »
Hi Helen, welcome! I really enjoyed reading Some Sweet life, it's very well-written and the dialogue is very good. Will you be writing more chapters and if you do, will you let us know here?  :)

I've got A LOT planned for Some Sweet Life.  I'm really glad that you're enjoying it, and thanks for the compliments about dialogue and it being well written :) 

I really wanted to post another chapter before I left for the US, but I think where it finished was a good place for a break, so I'm leaving it till I get back.  And yes, I'll be posting updates here :)

Helen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:16:38 pm »
Hiya H!

I'm so happy you've put up links to your wonderful stories here!

I can't wait for Some Sweet Life to update, do you think that's going to happen before you leave for The States??

No, there's a lot going to be happening in the next chapters of Sweet Life, so I reckoned that instead of getting another chapter in that will leave everything hanging, I would leave it as is until I get back.  It's a nice place to take a break, having got them to Wisconsin!  (AT FUCKING LAST!!  LOL)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 08:12:50 pm »
I read Sweet Life and like the story.  Now I know who is who (the author). :)  Thanks Helen for your stories!

Offline Sheera

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 08:13:12 am »
Looking forward to Modern Way being posted publicly...  :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 09:11:44 am »
Looking forward to Modern Way being posted publicly...  :-*
Hi Sheera! Me too...
So nice to see you here!!  :-*

Helen

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 03:00:33 pm »
Hi folks! :)

As of Tuesday 1st August I'll be on a two-month trip to the USA. During that time I won't be updating any of my series.

I had hoped that before leaving I would have at least another chapter of both Modern Way and Some Sweet Life ready and up for your enjoyment. Alas, I've been so busy with preparing for the trip, and also dealing with some unexpected family stuff, that I haven't been able to do so.

I can't promise that I'll be able to add anyone to the Modern Way filter either whilst I am away. When I get back I intend to remove the filter and let anyone read the series. The lovely Sheera has betaed all the previous chapters and I will be revising the current entries then posting, probably weekly, to Wranglers and BBSlash.

Whilst I am in America I'll be visiting Mineral Point, the setting for Some Sweet Life, so readers will be able to enjoy some extra realism there - and also some pics of various locations. :)

So please don't worry folks, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth and deserted my stories!! Ennis, Jack, Uncle Harold et al will be back in the Fall.

Helen xx

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:44:30 am »
Oh Helen, how can you do this to us?

;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 08:17:38 am »
If ya can't fix it, ya got ta stand it!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Helen

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 08:41:59 am »
Oh Helen, how can you do this to us?
;)
If ya can't fix it, ya got ta stand it!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry  :'(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 02:40:58 pm »
Happy birthday, Helen, off in fanfic heaven!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Helen

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 08:44:25 pm »
Thanks so much!!  Sorry I haven't been able to get in touch before now...!

I am currently in Wyoming *grin* visiting the Tetons and other places.  Then on Monday I'm off to Calgary for a few days *bigger grin*

At the end of next week I will be in Wisconsin doing some recceing for Some Sweet Life.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I'm looking forward to getting back to writing!!

Helen :)

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 07:08:09 am »
Thanks so much!!  Sorry I haven't been able to get in touch before now...!

I am currently in Wyoming *grin* visiting the Tetons and other places.  Then on Monday I'm off to Calgary for a few days *bigger grin*

At the end of next week I will be in Wisconsin doing some recceing for Some Sweet Life.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I'm looking forward to getting back to writing!!

That's a lot of big grins!!!  ;D Have fun, Helen!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 07:29:25 am »
hey Helen!  By now you would have met up with June ... I hope the two of you are having great fun.  I saw some pics of the barbecue in San Antonio but you didn't look very happy... hope things have improved!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 05:06:42 pm »
Helen, dear, how were your travels?  And now that you're back, will you be updating soon for us?

I heard your time through Wisconsin wasn't the greatest... sorry about that... I went to school in Madison... anyhow would love to hear about it if you feel like blabbing!

=)
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Helen

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 06:46:37 pm »
Hi kelly :) - yeah, Wisconsin wasn't the best experience, I had a couple of minor disasters coupled with migraine, exhaustion and just had to get on a plane home at the first opportunity.

I will be updating soon.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 09:03:11 am »

I will be updating soon.
Oh I so look forward to that H   :)

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 09:18:04 am »
Bumping this so people who haven't read this yet can read it before it is updated (hopefully soon...)...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 03:07:04 am »
Hi folks  :)
I'll be linking Helen's updates to her thread here on Bettermost.
Some Sweet Life and Modern Way have been huge favourites of mine for many months now. Enjoy!  :)

Some Sweet Life, Chapter 6:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/22156.html#cutid1 

This Is The Modern Way, Chapter 1:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/6225.html#cutid1 

This Is The Modern Way, Chapter 2:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/7900.html#cutid1

This Is The Modern Way, Chapter 3:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/23618.html

This Is The Modern Way, Chapter 4:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/8739.html

This Is The Modern Way, Chapter 5:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/9552.html

Helen's completed series of Alphabet Drabbles can be found under the following link. Please scroll down a bit for the first alphabet drabble, A for Abandon. There are 26 in total, 1 for each letter of the alphabet  I highly recommend them, was totally blown away by each and every one of them. They are breathtaking, incredibly moving and a pure joy to read  :)

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/?skip=20&tag=drabble
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:48:05 pm by Bigheart »

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 06:57:26 am »
He Bigheart, bedankt hiervoor!  ;)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 07:19:42 am »
He Bigheart, bedankt hiervoor!  ;)
Hey! Hoi!

Graag gedaan  :D

Ik vind Helen's verhalen echt GEWELDIG!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 08:45:36 am »
Hoi!  ;)

Ja, ik ook, heb Modern Way nog niet gelezen, omdat daar nog geen link voor was. Ga ik nu dus ook doen want daar was iedereen heel enthousiast over! Is chapter 6 een nieuw hoofdstuk van Some Sweet Life?

Sorry... will translate if anybody objects to Dutch!  ;)

Mel

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 09:33:02 am »
Hoi!  ;)

Ja, ik ook, heb Modern Way nog niet gelezen, omdat daar nog geen link voor was. Ga ik nu dus ook doen want daar was iedereen heel enthousiast over! Is chapter 6 een nieuw hoofdstuk van Some Sweet Life?

Sorry... will translate if anybody objects to Dutch!  ;)

Mel
OH Modern Way vind ik zo ongeloofelijk mooi. Het is echt mijn lievelingsverhaal. De Jack van Modern Way wil ik stevig vastpakken en zoenen en zeggen dat het allemaal wel goed komt!!
Ik ben benieuwd hoe je MW vind  :)
Ja, hoofdstuk 6 is de laatste nieuwe van SSL

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 10:00:21 am »
Oh, ben heel benieuwd (klapt in handen en springt op en neer)!  ;D

Is Modern Way totaal 4 chapters of is het nog niet af?

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 10:43:55 am »
Oh, ben heel benieuwd (klapt in handen en springt op en neer)!  ;D

Is Modern Way totaal 4 chapters of is het nog niet af?

Hehehe to "klapt in handen en springt op en neer" Sounds really weird in Dutch  :D
 I think we'd better get back to English, don't you?  ;D So everybody will know what we're talking about!!
NO! MW isn't finished! Thank God! There will probably be a total of about 16 chaps and I think 8 of them have been written already. I'm not sure when the next chap will be up.
 :)

mvansand76

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 11:07:01 am »
Hi! Yes, let's get back to good old English...  ;D

Uhm, I just read a bit of Modern Way, the first few lines and it's very AU, isn't it? VERY AU....Will I like this? I always like the stories that are not toooooo AU... Guess I just have to find out. I was kinda disappointed too when the writer of If I Asked started an extreme AU after that great story of hers...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 11:49:45 am »
Hi! Yes, let's get back to good old English...  ;D

Uhm, I just read a bit of Modern Way, the first few lines and it's very AU, isn't it? VERY AU....Will I like this? I always like the stories that are not toooooo AU... Guess I just have to find out. I was kinda disappointed too when the writer of If I Asked started an extreme AU after that great story of hers...
Yes it is  :) but I thought you knew that?
I pretty much like everything, including AU!AU's   :)
OH, I'm completely in love with Amy's Shade of Grey!! Hehehe, we really have different tastes, don't we?
Hmmm, please give MW a chance, read 2 or 3 chaps and if you're still not really into it because it's too AU for your taste just stop reading it  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 10:13:20 am »
Hmmm, please give MW a chance, read 2 or 3 chaps and if you're still not really into it because it's too AU for your taste just stop reading it  :)

I will, definitely!  :)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2006, 10:25:46 pm »
I will, definitely!  :)

Yes! Give Modern Way a chance!! I also didn't think I was into AU!AU but I love this one... also Amy's Shades of Grey... these two girls are making me seriously consider writing my own AU!AU when I'm done with my current...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2006, 04:50:09 am »
Yes! Give Modern Way a chance!! I also didn't think I was into AU!AU but I love this one... also Amy's Shades of Grey... these two girls are making me seriously consider writing my own AU!AU when I'm done with my current...
*excited squee*
Please do!
I'll read it f'sure, I really like your writing style  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 09:54:25 am »

I read This is the Modern Way and liked how it was written (very well, just as with Some Sweet Life), but overall, I did not really like the story line. Personal thing I guess.  ;)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 12:30:39 pm »
I read This is the Modern Way and liked how it was written (very well, just as with Some Sweet Life), but overall, I did not really like the story line. Personal thing I guess.  ;)
That's okay Mel, at least you gave it a try  :)

Offline frannie

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2006, 06:05:13 pm »
I like this story.  It is very 1984.  I think it's the darkest of the AU!AUs. With my other two favorites - SOG and WandT - I am hopeful of a happy ending.  I wonder if this one is going to have a canon ending.  Jack doesn't look able to cope with a continued relationship with Ennis, not the way it is at present.  And the writer hasn't given us any reason to beleive that the two of them will make it.

I think Jack will become a drug addict and Ennis will not leave Alma, and then Jack will die from drugs.  Heartbroken.

And I will need a large box of tissues and some valium.

But the sex is good. 

mvansand76

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 06:41:01 am »
Yes it is  :) but I thought you knew that?
I pretty much like everything, including AU!AU's   :)
OH, I'm completely in love with Amy's Shade of Grey!! Hehehe, we really have different tastes, don't we?

Hehehe... I just saw the post I made that you responded to about Modern Way and I also mentioned Shades of Grey and that I was disappointed that she started an AU!AU, but I gave SOG a try too, because I really LOVED IIA.... and now I really like it, it's such a riveting story, I am glad I gave it a chance!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 07:34:49 am »
Hehehe... I just saw the post I made that you responded to about Modern Way and I also mentioned Shades of Grey and that I was disappointed that she started an AU!AU, but I gave SOG a try too, because I really LOVED IIA.... and now I really like it, it's such a riveting story, I am glad I gave it a chance!
I'm glad too Mel!

There's a SOG thread here on Bettermost, check it out!  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 07:45:52 am »
I like this story.  It is very 1984.  I think it's the darkest of the AU!AUs. With my other two favorites - SOG and WandT - I am hopeful of a happy ending.  I wonder if this one is going to have a canon ending.  Jack doesn't look able to cope with a continued relationship with Ennis, not the way it is at present.  And the writer hasn't given us any reason to beleive that the two of them will make it.

I think Jack will become a drug addict and Ennis will not leave Alma, and then Jack will die from drugs.  Heartbroken.

And I will need a large box of tissues and some valium.

But the sex is good. 
Well, if she does that I'll definitely need to share your valium. I can't imagine that happening though.

OH yes, I agree, the sex is HOT!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 08:56:01 am »
I'm glad too Mel!

There's a SOG thread here on Bettermost, check it out!  :)

Already on it!  ;)
Als de wiederweerga!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2006, 11:19:11 am »
Already on it!  ;)
Als de wiederweerga!
Goed zo!!

Geniet maar van de heerlijke SOG foto's!  :P  ;D

one_of_one

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2006, 12:17:29 pm »
Isn't there a Dutch thread for "girls like you"?

:P :P :P :P

;D

Helen x

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2006, 12:53:37 pm »
welcome back Helen!  It is lovely to see you... I hope you will come and chat with the rest of us "girls like us" in the chat room one of these days!!!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »
Isn't there a Dutch thread for "girls like you"?

:P :P :P :P

;D

Helen x
OH Shut -up, will ya!! LOL   :P 

Barely back on the thread and you're already giving us a hard time!  ::)

;D  ;D

:-*

one_of_one

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2006, 01:32:55 pm »
This is the Modern Way - Chapter Six: Little Black Heart is now up

Linkee:  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/26092.html

Modern Way was started some time ago...I left off when I visited the States, and during that time realised (with the help of Sheera) that there were ways of improving it and making it a tighter story.  Since it was always friends-locked I decided to make some changes and open up the fic for public consumption.

There are two new chapters so far, and a third to come before I finally add the last pieces of the old version.  By Chapter 10 it will all be new!

mvansand76

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2006, 08:34:15 am »
This is the Modern Way - Chapter Six: Little Black Heart is now up

Linkee:  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/26092.html

Modern Way was started some time ago...I left off when I visited the States, and during that time realised (with the help of Sheera) that there were ways of improving it and making it a tighter story.  Since it was always friends-locked I decided to make some changes and open up the fic for public consumption.

There are two new chapters so far, and a third to come before I finally add the last pieces of the old version.  By Chapter 10 it will all be new!

Hey Helen,  :)  Will you also be updating Some Sweet Life?

one_of_one

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2006, 09:17:12 am »
Hey Helen,  :)  Will you also be updating Some Sweet Life?

Hi Mel :)

I'm really concentrating on getting a lot of Modern Way finished, and am pushing myself to get it done quickly, so Sweet Life is simmering on the backburner just at the moment.  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2006, 11:03:19 am »
Hi Mel :)

I'm really concentrating on getting a lot of Modern Way finished, and am pushing myself to get it done quickly, so Sweet Life is simmering on the backburner just at the moment.  :)

Good luck with finishing Modern Way!  :)

one_of_one

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2006, 11:38:47 am »
I just want to say to anyone reading Modern Way and worrying about Jack...he doesn't die.  This is not a dead!Jack fic.

one_of_one

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2006, 07:00:01 pm »
This is the Modern Way, Chapter Seven: Break the Night with Colour is now up. :)

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/27683.html

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2006, 09:04:46 pm »
yay!!  ;D

I'll be reading it tonight!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

one_of_one

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 10:59:26 am »
This is the Modern Way, Chapter Eight: Perfect Day is now up.  :)

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/13299.html

Offline Sheera

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2006, 04:23:01 am »
Oooh, we're almost getting to the new parts, aren't we? *excited*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2006, 09:54:01 am »
Oooh, we're almost getting to the new parts, aren't we? *excited*

YES!! Next week, a whole new chapter!!

*SQUEEE*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2006, 10:05:05 am »
This is the Modern Way, Chapter Eight: Perfect Day is now up.  :)

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/13299.html

I love Perfect Day by Lou Reed... what a great song and a great way to start the chapter  :D

one_of_one

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2006, 04:31:41 pm »
Modern Way Chapter Nine: High  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/29814.html

Modern Way is scheduled to have 18 chapters and an epilogue.  Yes, I am organised for once in my life!  It will be posted (hopefully) every six days from now until 22nd December.  There will also be a fanmix of the songs available from then, too.

Happy reading!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2006, 05:56:19 pm »
This chapter had soo many truly beautiful moments, I could just quote the entire chapter. I loved the warm sweetness of them lying in bed together,Jack touching Ennis so lovingly and joking around about Ennis dancing at the club.
I loved the image of them making love all the time, loved how Ennis couldn't keep his hands off Jack.
I loved Jack telling Ennis that he's always sexy, omfg - how special is that...
I loved these lines from those BEAUTIFUL special parts on the dance floor that just took my breath away:

And sweet, sweet lips against his own. He tasted something that felt like fresh mountain air in Ennis's mouth. Then they were floating back down, like autumn leaves swirling from branch to ground. They rested on the earth, came back to the present.

And Ennis whispering  yeah to it being serious.......oh wow, nearly made me cry. I just feel like he's really getting there, or at least trying soo hard to.
I love Helen's Jack and Ennis, so so much. MW gets me good, each and every chapter  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2006, 12:19:40 am »
And Ennis whispering  yeah to it being serious.......oh wow, nearly made me cry. I just feel like he's really getting there, or at least trying soo hard to.
I love Helen's Jack and Ennis, so so much. MW gets me good, each and every chapter 

That "yeah" was just great wasn't it? I loved this chapter so much and I'm right there with you, Helen's Jack and Ennis are so so good. Thanks for the update!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2006, 02:17:58 pm »
Hey ya Helen, I am going back to the beginning and reading "Modern Way" from the start, and something brought me up short.

He grabbed his wash bag in an angry movement and stamped into the shower room.

What's a wash bag?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2006, 03:13:15 pm »
I posted an LJ at the end of your latest chapter, but I just wanted to say... after all of the fancy-schmanzy Au! and AuAu! and increasingly exotic and bizarre permutations of Ennis and Jack you have done something so simple it is amazing no one else has tried it:  put them into the present tense.  Where being gay isnt so much a mark of death as it is a setting-apart from the larger, more acceptable society - something more to be avoided than feared.  And the portrayal of the characters in their need and desire for one another, their inability to shake off the inconveniences and weaknesses within themselves so that they can be together, shows at core the real tragedy of the original story - as Shakespeare said "The flaw is not in our stars, but in ourselves..."

one_of_one

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2006, 04:44:27 pm »
Hey ya Helen, I am going back to the beginning and reading "Modern Way" from the start, and something brought me up short.

He grabbed his wash bag in an angry movement and stamped into the shower room.

What's a wash bag?

It's a bag in which you put your soap and razor and toothpaste and stuff.  ARGH  What do you peeps call it?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2006, 05:01:51 pm »
the only thing that sounds remotely like that is perhaps a shaving kit.  Anyone else?

one_of_one

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2006, 05:25:37 pm »
Does that include toothpaste and soap and stuff other than shaving items?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:28 am »
Frankly, I don't know... I'm not a man!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2006, 05:48:12 am »
In our home we call it "the bathroom bag" but I think that might be our own little personal twist. Shaving kit, toiletry bag?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

one_of_one

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2006, 05:48:56 am »
LOL - I'm not a man either but I know what a washbag is and what it might contain.  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2006, 06:31:57 am »
LOL - I'm not a man either but I know what a washbag is and what it might contain.  ;)

Cosmetic bag or cosmetic kit is what women call it I believe.  But I don't know what is contained in a shaving kit, since ... I'm not a man and don't have one around to consult.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2006, 06:44:27 am »
In our home we call it "the bathroom bag" but I think that might be our own little personal twist. Shaving kit, toiletry bag?

L

In Spanish we call it neceser and according to my dictionary the translation into English is: toilet bag (for men and women), or make-up bag.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

one_of_one

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:15 pm »
To be honest, I think most people are going to make the  connection between washbag, man picking it up and shower scene without me changing it. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2006, 05:38:33 pm »
I didnt say you should change it, I just didn't know what it was!  (sounded dirty).  Actually I thought maybe you misspelled "washrag"

one_of_one

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2006, 04:58:23 pm »
Chapter Ten: Lost in Despair

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/30763.html

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2006, 05:23:22 pm »
excellent, Helen.  You are writing something that is completely original and goes very deep into the same psychology of Ennis and Jack that I believe the original BBM explored, only in a completely modern setting.  Brava!

one_of_one

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2006, 05:35:57 pm »
Thanks Louise!  And thanks also for what you said about the last chapter too :)  I remember way back when I had the idea for this fic...just putting them in a modern setting and see what happens.  And funnily enough the world isn't much different really...but then people will always be the same, won't they  :)

H x

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2006, 06:08:02 pm »
yes, exactly.  And now we have the most inconceivable alternate realities... but really... turning the clock forward to where "gay" means something a little less radical, but still... we are faced with the same conflicts within Jack, within Ennis, and the personal strife each brings to their desire to be together.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2006, 05:52:13 am »
excellent, Helen.  You are writing something that is completely original and goes very deep into the same psychology of Ennis and Jack that I believe the original BBM explored, only in a completely modern setting.  Brava!

I so agree Louise. You really don't need much more than this, do you? Just Jack and Ennis and Helen's beautiful way of writing about them.

one_of_one

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2006, 05:47:25 pm »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2006, 11:40:22 am »
** SPOILERS**

*SIGH*

This chapter left me sick with worry for Jack  :(   I was like NO! Jack, please don't, please let that cell phone of yours ring so you might have the courage to stay away from that package in the cupboard 
I'm just reeling with the way Helen writes so much longing and despair into each and every chapter of this truly wonderful story. I'm amazed at her ability to be able to do this each and every time. I really feel their pain and loneliness and it cuts my heart out every time. These lines hit me hard:

He sank down to the floor, letting his head fall onto his knees, and wrapped his arms around his shins. Just call me, Ennis.

Ennis really NEEDS to be with Jack now, desperately, and if he doesn't do that soon I'm so afraid Jack will completely lose it  :(  I can't bear to even think about that. He doesn't belong with Alma anymore, he's barely hanging in there and I hope he'll come to realise this very very soon. I so wished he'd called Jack  :(  I can't wait for the next chapter, wish it was Friday already. I so wonder how that will go and what Alma will have to say to him! God, I almost wish Alma had found out he was lying about the over time, that way he might have been forced into telling her what was going on.....
I also love Helen's detailed and descriptive writing; the description of the bedroom, the colours - it's so....Alma lol I hated the plastic plant! LOL I love the attempted paper clip heart too, it's such a lovely touch. So sweet   :)
I really loved these lines too:

A mixture of heat and ice curled round his heart when he thought about Jack, a curious blend of tenderness and anguish.

I think this story is just overwhelming and again I'm amazed at Helen's ability to make me feel this way. I feel so much for her Jack and Ennis. I think her way of writing is absolutely beautiful and I can't thank her enough for this truly wonderful story. I'm always sad after reading one of her updates but I have faith she'll do right by 'our' two lovely boys.

Oh, I almost forgot ~ I also really love the song lyrics, they are so right for this chapter. I don't know the song  :(  I hope to be able to download it from the net somehow   LOL ~ will probably take me ages!  I really love and admire how carefully you pick and choose each song for each of your updates. It's great! I'm SO looking forward to that fanmix!   ;)

Thank you Helen, so much   :-*

one_of_one

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2006, 10:23:15 am »
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/32733.htm

Chapter Twelve: Bitter Sweet Symphony

Hope you enjoy :)

H xx

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2006, 07:08:22 pm »
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/32733.htm

Chapter Twelve: Bitter Sweet Symphony

H xx

I always enjoy! That was such a good chapter  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2006, 07:27:55 pm »
I always enjoy! That was such a good chapter  :)

Me too!

one_of_one

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2006, 07:33:14 am »
Chapter 13.  Sorry it's late.  Also haven't been feeling very brain-alive this week so apologies for any inferiority.

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/33551.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2006, 03:41:07 pm »
Hahahaha ~ I *SO* LOOOOOOOOOVE your brain dead writing.........!!

*dirty grin*   :P

;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2006, 07:42:18 pm »
may I be the first to say

*ew* ?

I loved this story up till now except there was a paragraph in there I just sort of... jumped over, you see... because of... well... you know...

you know what I mean!!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:45:06 pm by louisev »

one_of_one

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2006, 04:31:38 am »
LOL

Yeah I know what you mean, Little Miss Squick...   ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2006, 04:32:41 am »
Well you got a lot of nice "dirty" comments so don't worry about little old me....

::)

one_of_one

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2006, 08:37:06 am »
okay

:P

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2006, 11:21:57 pm »
I wanna know what made Louise go "ew"...

>:(

me can't stand not being in the know.

i'm very type A that way!

I hope your brain is feeling better Helen!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2006, 09:00:08 pm »
I wanna know what made Louise go "ew"...

>:(

me can't stand not being in the know.

i'm very type A that way!

I hope your brain is feeling better Helen!
    kell  you know what part,,,you are a vet and know about germs, and tapeworms....                                                                   janice

Beautiful mind

one_of_one

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2006, 08:24:40 am »
Oops, sorry folks, i don't know where my head is ...I updated with Chapter 14 last night, here's the link :)

Just to confirm I'm still on target for 18 chapters and epilogue by 22nd December. 

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/34040.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2006, 08:44:12 am »
Oops, sorry folks, i don't know where my head is ...I updated with Chapter 14 last night, here's the link :)

Just to confirm I'm still on target for 18 chapters and epilogue by 22nd December. 

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/34040.html

I loved it, as always H  :) SO many good parts. I loved Jack waking up like that, just content to stare at Ennis *sigh* so so lovely. Loved sweet gentle Ennis, LOVED this strong Ennis too, so much! And God, Jack's reaction to Ennis telling him he told Alma and about the baby! SO touching.  I worry about Jack though......I do, can't help it.....
And that kiss.....oh boy.....it was gorgeous. Sweet and hot, just how I like them.
I dread MW ending  :( Not too many chapters left  :(  What on earth am I going to do without it  :(  *SIGH*

one_of_one

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2006, 05:51:58 am »

one_of_one

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2006, 05:06:02 pm »
Part One of my Christmas story, Going Home, is to be found here:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/35308.html

It's in four parts and will be posted in the evenings of the four days in question - 23rd, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Hope you enjoy. :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2006, 12:42:59 am »
I loved this Helen!!  ;D Can't wait for the next... I love that little moment in the car when Ennis touches Jack's arm and he about jumps out of his skin  :)

one_of_one

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2006, 05:41:24 am »
Glad you're enjoying it Mandy...that little bit I was unsure about, so I'm really pleased you've quoted it as a favourite part.  With only four days I need to get things moving fairly swiftly!

:)   :-*

xxx

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2006, 11:53:30 am »
I wish it was tonight already!

I adored that part too, Mandy  :) It was gorgeous, made me smile so big!  :)

I'm LOVING this, H! SO SO much  :)

one_of_one

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2006, 05:08:48 pm »

mvansand76

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2006, 05:16:42 pm »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2006, 07:24:36 pm »
I left you a message on your livejournal!  ;D

Me too!  ;D

It's such a perfect, gorgeous, fun, sweet and beautiful story. I adore it. You've kept this Jack and Ennis in character wonderfully and I really love how this is unfolding. All your details are just so wonderful and everything is very real and believeble to me. I can really see Ennis as the quiet farmer, loving his life on the farm with his animals and horses. Just lovely H  :) Love all the Scottish touches. Love all the decs Jack bought, loved the breakfast scene and the lunch one and especially loved the scene in front of the fire. That was so relaxing and lovely. And my heart melted during the snow fight and snow man making. The crackers and corny jokes and the little gifts were hilarious and sweet too.

I can hardly wait for tomorrow evening!

:-*  :-*

one_of_one

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2006, 09:46:12 pm »
Some more light reading :)

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/35635.html My Christmas Card to all my readers

Christmas Requests
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/36906.html Lights: a Christmas drabble for Cali
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/36737.html That Life: a 500 word ficlet for Sheera

Other Requests
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/30427.html The Light Most Feared: a drabble for Sheera
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/31925.html Could Have Been: a ficlet for Lola of around 350 words
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/32874.html Oh Boy: a drabble for June
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/33244.html Waitin: a drouble for Cali

If you would like to make a fic request please go here and make a comment:
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/29980.html  I'll be fulfilling any new ones in the New Year :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:49:31 pm by one_of_one »

one_of_one

« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2006, 07:20:48 pm »
Part Three of Going Home

Christmas Day 2006:  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/37178.html

one_of_one

« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2006, 10:51:35 pm »
Having a bit of a spamfest, sorry...

Here is an RPS PWP fic request with a Crimble theme...Jake Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/37446.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2006, 08:44:21 am »
Having a bit of a spamfest, sorry...

Here is an RPS PWP fic request with a Crimble theme...Jake Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/37446.html

Why say sorry?? I'm LOVING ALL of it!  ;D

You know what this one did to me.....OhMyGod....   :-X

;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2006, 08:46:18 am »

If you would like to make a fic request please go here and make a comment:
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/29980.html  I'll be fulfilling any new ones in the New Year :)

I think I will. And I want a dirty one!  :P

::)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2006, 11:32:24 am »
Helen I just wanted to say that I love Going Home so much! I was thinking about it this morning, the part where Jack is looking out their bedroom window and he can see Ennis' reflection... the dialogue between them at that point is beautiful. It makes me so sad to think that the last part is coming today. Any chance that it will continue??  ::)

one_of_one

« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2006, 05:11:54 pm »
Part Four of Going Home!  Please enjoy!

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/38198.html

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2006, 02:32:20 am »
Helen-Many thanks-I really enjoyed that little holiday treat. The anticipation was an added bonus-each morning I'd get up to see if you had posted yet and check throughout the day.

One of the components of the story that appealed to me was the "normalization" of their relationship. They just got to be 2 men who were attracted to each other and it was just regular-like any het couple. Two guys that developed a fast friendship and attraction. The normalcy of the developing relationship-minimal angst-was a breath of fresh air.

This story is begging for some one-shot sequel action-or maybe that is me begging :P

O0

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:35:24 am by RouxB »

Heathen

one_of_one

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2006, 06:45:55 am »
Hi RouxB - I am so pleased you've enjoyed this story; it was such fun to write and I loved doing it. 

I'm glad that you've enjoyed them as ordinary men; I like writing about everyday people who are just trying to do the best they can. 

One of my big writing interests outside fanfic is to tell stories about people who usually tend to have some kind of issue attached to them and just show them as being like everyone else.  For instance whenever a deaf person appears plots etc. tend to centre around the person being deaf, and I would like to write about a person getting on with their life just like everyone else, but they just happen to be deaf.  I really have issues with putting people in boxes and having the gay person appear in a novel, or the deaf person, or the homeless person.  And for that one thing about them to define their whole person.

So - thank you for enjoying the normality of their relationship; I really do appreciate that. :)

one_of_one

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2006, 06:40:48 pm »
Did someone mentiona a sequel?

Going Home:  A New Year tale in three parts.

Part One:  Hogmanay  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/38721.html

mvansand76

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2006, 09:10:16 pm »
Did someone mentiona a sequel?

Going Home:  A New Year tale in three parts.

Part One:  Hogmanay  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/38721.html

Oh another new year's present! Thank you Helen for posting and a happy new year to you! :-)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2007, 08:16:52 am »
Awww H ~ You've made me and so many people so happy by writing this sequel   :) This first part has been so sweet and wonderful to read again  :)  Your Jack and Ennis are so special and they just belong together on that wonderful Scottish island  :)  This is such a loving story and you write about them with so much love. The SNIT-ish scene just made me swoon, it was so beautiful  :)  And these lines were gorgeous:

He blended in to the rhythm of her movements, and it was almost as if they weren't man and beast at all, but just one creature moving forwards, floating over the land, feeling the breeze in their faces, letting themselves go free.

Heeee! and I adored crazy Jack for going out first footing like that for Ennis! And I really really loved that first hot snog in the car! I loved Jack just asking Ennis to pull over like that, that was just perfect 

The chapter ending was sweet perfection:

They lay on the carpet side by side, Jack resting his head in the crook of Ennis’s arm, his hand tracing patterns over Ennis’s chest. The wind seemed so far away, drifting further as Ennis relaxed into Jack and slept.

*SIGH* BEAUTIFUL

It'll be a loooong wait till this evening! I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm looking forward to the next part 
And I heart you so big for the sweet dedication. Thanks so much   :-*  :-*  :-*

one_of_one

« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2007, 07:26:28 pm »
Here we are folks!

I have renumbered as some folks were confused by there being two part one's.  Yesterday was part 5 and

Today, part 6: http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/39570.html

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2007, 08:08:43 pm »
can't wait to read this... something to look forward to tonight!  ;D

one_of_one

« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2007, 08:25:31 pm »
There has been a little confusion about the numbering of this fic.  When I started the New Year series I went back to One instead of moving on with Five.  Sorry :(  Anyway I have changed it all and these are the chapters up to today.

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/35308.html  Part One: 23rd December 2006
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/36224.html  Part Two: Christmas Eve 2006
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/37178.html  Part Three: Christmas Day 2006
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/38198.html  Part Four: Boxing Day 2006
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/38721.html  Part Five: Hogmanay 2006
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/39570.html  Part Six: Ne'er Day 2007

Apologies for the lateness of tonight's chapter; unlike Parts 1-4 I am writing this day-by-day on the day.  Part 7 will be up probably late tomorrow since I haven't yet started it. :)   ^f^

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2007, 02:54:39 am »
Thanks Helen! I've been waiting all day for this. I've been sick in bed all weekend (read the Christmas series again ;D ) and ventured out to check if you'd posted. No luck-went back to bed. Got up to go to a party and now, finally, get to savour this Ennis and Jack.

Heathen

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2007, 06:25:27 am »
I commented on your journal too to part six and want to post it here too   :)

I never thought I could love GH more than the last time but I do!  :) This was a seriously beautiful chapter and must have been pretty intense to write. You are so spot on with everything; you *so* get Jack and Ennis. Everything is always so right and detailed. I can just see everything so clearly the way you write it  And Ennis really is a farmer to me; you make that work and I find your detailed descriptions of life on a farm extremely interesting. I feel Ennis really loves it, really cares for the animals and that's just wonderful   :)

I loved Jack offering to help with the cows or make breakfast even though he was half dead! LOL So adorable  :)  And Jack kissing Ennis's fingers like that! Omg....*faints* 
These lines were so beautiful and gentle *SIGH*

Jack was asleep when Ennis climbed in beside him, lying on his side with an arm tucked up under his chin, his breathing slow and steady. Ennis lay on his back staring into the dark, the heat from Jack's body almost burning his skin, above him the gentling swish of the wind in the eaves and the first birds of the morning beginning their chorus as he closed his eyes, and drifted into his second sleep of the year.

Awwwww and tea in bed! How cute is that??! And Ennis blushing! Awwwww *hugs Ennis* And Jack so likes to tease him!!! You wrote that so lovingly  :)
I love the little star Ennis bought  :)  Loved Jack collecting the eggs  :)  And Barry, hmmmmm he intrigues me! He may be weird but I find him very interesting, all that stuff about the horses....
I loved these lines, sweet and so wonderful 

"I think I'll maybe need a snack in the meantime." He brought his forehead against Ennis's, gently pressed their noses together. "I like you a lot, Ennis. You. Not where we are or what we do."

Their talk in the kitchen was wonderful and I'm glad they had it, just getting to know each other a bit better. I loved Ennis cooking, loved Jack dipping his finger into the bowl! Cute!   And I loved these lines:

"I came here to see you, Ennis, and if you want to go out we'll go out, but I'm really just happy to be sitting here with you, being with you. It doesn't really matter to me what we do."
Sweet and beautiful H

I feel for Ennis's confusion and how he worries about Jack not liking it there or that he can hardly believe Jack likes him  :(  Loved these lines, so much:

As he rested his head in his hands, he felt Jack shift across the sofa and wrap an arm round his shoulders. "It's alright, Ennis, it's alright." Jack squeezed his arm. "We can give it a try, can't we?"

*SIGH* Yeah, Jack, of course you can!! and you must!!

The HOT HOT loving at the end was like nothing else H! Jesus. *feels flushed*     

I want to love you, Ennis. Let me. Please." His voice a plaintive sigh against Ennis's neck.
Then their lips were together again, Ennis breathing, "Yes, yes," into Jack's mouth. Jack pulled away. "Turn over, Ennis, turn over." Whispers pulsing round the room as Ennis's heart beat faster; turning to lie on his side, groaning as Jack bit into his neck

OMG *dies*   You sure know how to write hotness H!   

I loved Jack leading Ennis upstairs like that, that was so beautiful   :) Totally loved the moonlight  :)  And the open window and the sound of the sea  :) God, all of that was so damn romantic 

Once again a PERFECT chapter ending to an absolutely perfect and beautiful story. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH sweetie. And you for writing it  I just adore the way you're writing this; you have such a beautiful way with language
Thank you SO very very much. I can't wait for tomorrow  :)

Oh, nearly forgot, I'd love Ennis to teach Jack how to ride  :) That would be just wonderful  :)

:-*  :-*  :-*     

one_of_one

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2007, 04:50:16 pm »
Here is a link to the last chapter of Going Home

Part 7:  January 2nd 2007  http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/40154.html

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
Helen, that was lovely except the ending wasn't very good - that is, it is begging for MORE. You originally thought 4 parts, it turned in to 7 parts so who know? Thanks for this lovely piece of fan fic.
Leslie.

mvansand76

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2007, 05:01:33 pm »
Sorry for the late comment! I read the last chapter last night and I can't do anything else than repeat myself:

SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL!

:-)

Mel

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2007, 05:11:23 pm »
Sorry for the late comment! I read the last chapter last night and I can't do anything else than repeat myself:

SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL!

:-)

Mel

Yeah, what she said!!!  ;)

I really loved this Helen! I can't remember if I commented on the last chapter because I read it in my flu daze, but it was so good  :-*

one_of_one

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »
Hi everybody! :)

I am so, so excited and pleased that you've enjoyed Going Home!  I never, ever in a million years thought it would prove to be as popular as it has been.  My god, I thought that with writing Jack and Ennis in Scotland, I'd be writing an obscure little fic that wouldn't get much attention because it took Jack and Ennis to somewhere so far from the original.  So to say I was astounded would be an understatement!

When I was writing the four parts of the Christmas Tale I had a couple of ideas for a continuation at New Year, but couldn't make my mind up as to whether or not it would be a good idea to write more or whether I actually want to continue. Leaving it a little late, on New Years Eve I decided to go ahead and spent three days attached to my laptop!  I'm sorry I never replied to anyone's questions about a sequel, it was solely because I didn't know myself and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up.

Anyway....

I *do* have ideas to continue this story...and I set up one or two things within the seven parts that will be explored further.  I'm not exactly sure the form it will take, one idea is to continue with the real-time theme and post chapters on special dates such as Burns Night or Valentines etc etc.  I'm not sure how that will affect parts of the plot though, so it needs a bit of thought before I finally decide. 

I really love Scottish!Jack and Ennis and am so so happy you do too. :)

H XXXXXXXXXX

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2007, 05:40:55 pm »
I *do* have ideas to continue this story...and I set up one or two things within the seven parts that will be explored further.  I'm not exactly sure the form it will take, one idea is to continue with the real-time theme and post chapters on special dates such as Burns Night or Valentines etc etc.  I'm not sure how that will affect parts of the plot though, so it needs a bit of thought before I finally decide. 

I have one thing to say... SQUEEEE!! (and I don't say that often!)

seriously Helen, what you thought was going to be an obscure fan fic turned into one of my absolute favorites.  :)

one_of_one

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2007, 05:57:50 pm »
:)   Me again.

I just want to let you know what is going on with MW....sorry I didn't get it finished before Christmas as I had planned; I was ill for a couple of weeks and by the time I was writing again I only had time to write either the end of MW or my Christmas fic which had to be posted then or not at all.  Well, I think you might forgive me that I went with Going Home!   ;)

I have written chapters 16 and 17 of MW, and want to write 18 before I start posting, just to make sure I have tied everything up.  There will be an epilogue to the story which I intend to write during the time the other chapters are being posted.  All in all, with no more interruptions, it will be finished and posted within the next week to ten days. 

H XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

one_of_one

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2007, 05:58:28 pm »
I have one thing to say... SQUEEEE!! (and I don't say that often!)

seriously Helen, what you thought was going to be an obscure fan fic turned into one of my absolute favorites.  :)

I love that you love it Mandy!  Thank you :)

XXXXXXXXXX H

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2007, 06:04:47 pm »
:)   Me again.

I just want to let you know what is going on with MW....sorry I didn't get it finished before Christmas as I had planned; I was ill for a couple of weeks and by the time I was writing again I only had time to write either the end of MW or my Christmas fic which had to be posted then or not at all.  Well, I think you might forgive me that I went with Going Home!   ;)

I have written chapters 16 and 17 of MW, and want to write 18 before I start posting, just to make sure I have tied everything up.  There will be an epilogue to the story which I intend to write during the time the other chapters are being posted.  All in all, with no more interruptions, it will be finished and posted within the next week to ten days. 

H XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey, it's your thread!  ;D

I have LOVED MW for like forever  :) so this is the best news ever  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2007, 06:10:22 pm »
I absolutely LOVE Scottish!Jack and Ennis too  :)  and what has made all of this 'work' for me is that you have written this in such a true and believeble way and kept them both in character wonderfully. They *are* Jack and Ennis to me, all the way   :)

I'm very excited about the real-time theme, I've loved this through out the series.  It's so original and different and I'd LOVE the special date posting   :)

Whatever you decide to do will be absolutely wonderful H  :)  I'm just SO excited and happy you're going to continue with this BEAUTIFUL story   :) You have totally made my day!  :-*

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2007, 07:55:18 pm »
I don't know if I can say I'm glad you are writing the final chapters to Modern Way, but I will be happy to read more. I think the story is coming to a natural conclusion.

And hooray for hearing more from the Scottish Jack & Ennis!

Leslie  :D

one_of_one

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2007, 04:29:27 pm »
Chapter Sixteen is now up:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/40571.html

Helen xxx

Leslie, you're right, it is coming to a natural conclusion.  :)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2007, 08:28:55 pm »
Hi Helen,

I just read Going Home (the Christmas part) last night and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it! I loved the island setting.

(Even though the boys are overseas, I still can't picture them with accents, however.)

On to the next part tonight!

Kelly

one_of_one

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2007, 03:20:01 pm »
This is the Modern Way

Chapter 17: Boulevard of Broken Dreams

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/41006.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2007, 04:46:14 pm »
**SPOILERS**

Oh my God ~ this was a hard read  :'(  It's all just one big mess now  :(  And my heart breaks for both of them  :'(  Damn those insecurities of Jack  :'(  God, and he was so so happy; looking forward to cooking and being together and sharing a bottle of wine... Well, all I can do now is hope for the best for both of them *sigh*
I absolutely adored the tune Jack was whistling and the reference to the Dozy Embrace   :)

The closing lines were so beautifully sad:   

Jack squeezed his eyes shut so tight that they hurt, keeping the tears inside, not letting them escape, because once a drop or a trickle escaped the floodgates would open and they would come flooding out, and he didn't know how he would ever stop them if that happened. What had he just done? He was a mess, always had been always would be, and now he'd just f***ed up the best thing that had ever happened to him. Ennis was right, sorry wasn't enough, never would be enough. Jack knew that he'd just thrown away the most important thing in his life; thrown it away because he just couldn't believe deep down that anyone would put him first. But Ennis had done, and he'd told Jack he loved him. And what had Jack done in return; just f***ed it all up. "I love you too," he whispered into the palms of his hands, but Ennis would never hear him.

*SAD SIGH* I really need the next update. Beautiful writing H  :)  Thank you   :-*

Oh and I loved the song choice for this chapter.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2007, 09:20:12 pm »
off to read!! Yay!  :D

one_of_one

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2007, 06:43:27 am »
Here we are everyone...Chapter 18 of This is the Modern Way

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/41656.html

Epilogue will be next week. :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2007, 09:01:02 am »
**SPOILERS**

THANK YOU SO MUCH H for ending my favourite fic so beautifully   :)  It made my entire day, knowing this sweet Jack and Ennis are safe and together again   :)  And whoooohooo for Jack not taking the coke! Thank fuck for that  I am SO proud of him! I was really scared he'd snorted it for a second  :(

Your opening lines were wonderful, I got sucked in immediately! Aw and that poor guy!  ;D   I would have crossed the street too!   ;D  I too was so frustrated at Ennis losing the way! and was so relieved he ran into Lureen and I was feeling so utterly sad for Jack  :'( These lines were hard to read but so lovely too:

He was slow as he walked, his mind hooking onto memories of him and Ennis; feeding ducks at the park, the night they met in the bar, waking in the mornings sometimes with Ennis holding him, wrapping Jack in his arms as if to protect him from all that was bad in the world

These lines were sweet perfection, it's just how I imagined it would be if they got back together again. So lovely, so so sweet. Such gorgeous writing H: 

"Ennis?" Jack swung off the bed, looked him up and down, a smile hesitating to form at the side of the mouth. "What are you doing here?" He held out a hand, tentative, unsure.

Ennis stepped up to him, brushed trembling hands down Jack's arms. "Why didn't you answer the door? I thought...I thought..." He trailed off, pressing his forehead against Jack's. He continued in a ragged whisper. "Jesus Christ, Jack.."

Jack closed his eyes. "I never expected to see you again, thought it must be someone looking for Paul or one of the other guys."

Ennis could feel Jack trembling, or maybe it was both of them. "Oh god." He wrapped his arms round Jack, squeezed him tight against him and felt soft breath against his hair. They stood like that for a long while, Ennis breathing in the very essence of Jack, the Jack he thought he'd lost with every unanswered thump of his fist against the front door.

At this point we still didn't know if Jack had snorted the coke or not and I was just so utterly relieved he hadn't and I LOVE your Ennis for trusting Jack and believing in him. That's what Jack so needs and he'd better start believing in Ennis now too  :)

Jack was on top of him again, their mouths touching, hands grabbing at shirts, searching out skin. "Yeah," Ennis whispered. "Celebration it is."   

BEAUTIFUL story ending *SIGH*  :)  SO much to celebrate .... the beginning of their new life TOGETHER.  :)   I'm so happy now  :)  MW has been one hell of a ride; so many ups and downs and I've LOVED every bit of it. I have loved the WONDERFUL way you have written this, so much, and have cared, loved and cried for your Jack and Ennis all the way. So once again, thank you H, for this gorgeous, sweet and wonderful ending. You are such an amazingly gifted writer and have entertained us with so many beautiful stories for such a long time now and that's just absolutey brilliant   :-*

Really looking forward to the epilogue   :)

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2007, 05:39:25 pm »
I was going to leave feedback about how wonderful Helen's story, "This is the Modern Way" is but I can't think of anything that Bigheart hasn't already said! Thanks, Helen.
cc33 / Leslie

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2007, 01:20:23 am »
I was going to leave feedback about how wonderful Helen's story, "This is the Modern Way" is but I can't think of anything that Bigheart hasn't already said! Thanks, Helen.
cc33 / Leslie

Ditto, June leaves the world's best comments!

I love this story so much and I am so sad to see it end  :'(

Thanks for sharing your talent with us Helen!!  :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2007, 06:46:07 am »
Aww Mandy!  :-*

one_of_one

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2007, 03:51:12 pm »
Hello peeps :)

The epilogue of Modern Way will be along in a day or two; I've been delayed by a couple of RL problems.  My plan is to have two epilogues in fact!  one detailing the end of the story, and the other, well, a lack of plot features highly in the other part, unless you count two horny men with filthy minds and high sex drives as being a plot... 

:d)

I'm taking special requests for that part; if anyone wants them to get up to anything in particular just let me know on here, by PM or comment anonymously on the last post of my LJ.  Anything goes basically, although I can't promise to be able to include it.  I'll do my best, though. :)  Let me know within the next day or two. :)

Helen :) XX

one_of_one

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2007, 05:14:20 pm »
This is the Modern Way, epilogue.  No action, just Jack and his thoughts.

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/42116.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:19 pm »
Aww the very last chapter :( The very last time I'll be reading about your sweeeet and brave MW Jack and Ennis :( I know you're ready to let them go but it's hard for me; you know how much and for how long I've LOVED MW and especially your darling Jack *sigh* He's doing great now, isn't he?  :)

This was a WONDERFUL picture of their life together, with all it's ups and downs. Very realistic to me, how they really have to get used to being together all the time now. I'm very very happy to see that even though Jack hates the baby he still LOVES the wonderful life he and Ennis now share together. As you pointed out to me earlier, maybe when the baby is older and less demanding he'll be able to like it more. I hope so cause it's a huge important part of Ennis's life and I can see that this would piss Ennis off a bit.

YAY!! for Jack getting a better paid job and with LD's rivals too!!  :)

I just adore the image of them spending so much time together, FINALLY, making out for hours on end YUM!  :D LOVE LOVE LOVE all their wild passion. Love their movie watching and their snuggles on the sofa too *SIGH*  :)

I just love your characterisations of Jack and Ennis; Ennis as the calm, strong and reassuring one and Jack as the chaotic and impulsive one. It's spot on, always. And they are just so right and good for each other. I love them so much.
I also love that Ennis flushed away Jack's weed. I believe that in time, with Ennis's love and support, Jack will be able to stay away from drugs completely.

THANK YOU H for giving them this life together. I know it's not going to be a bed of roses but they are finally TOGETHER and have a place together, jobs and Jack is thankfully getting there too.  :)
I LOVED this and am VERY VERY sorry to see it end, truly, even though you ended it beautifully ♥ Your last lines were really beautiful, I'll never forget that first time either in 'The Perfect Day' chapter :)

They came here a lot now, but Jack would never forget that first time when he'd brought Ennis and hoped something good might happen in his life for once.

And amazingly enough, it had.

A perfect ending  :)

I'm going to have MW bound and will treasure it, always. Thank you also for the dedication, it means a lot to me, I've loved helping you along the way  :-*
Chasing Cars has become an absolute favourite of mine  :)  I love it to death and it so suits MW.

one_of_one

« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2007, 03:50:28 pm »
Hi peeps :)

I have made a journal entry of pictures of places that were used in the first part of Going Home (i.e Christmas). All the pics are taken by other people and no credit to me except a very poor one of the beach where they built the snowman.

The hotel they stayed in is real and fabulously there was a pic online of their room.   Everywhere is real, although one or two places I swapped about a bit.  The beach where the plane landed is stolen from Barra and I don't have a pic of that or really know exactly what it looks like.

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/42700.html

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2007, 04:40:15 pm »
Cool, Helen - thanks!

one_of_one

« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2007, 04:00:49 pm »
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/43078.html

This is the Modern Way fanmix!  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2007, 04:34:39 pm »
Wonderful H   :)  so pleased and happy you managed to get everything uploaded and working   :)

Now, when will we able to expect the PWP??   ::)

;D  ;D  ;D

one_of_one

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2007, 09:19:25 am »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2007, 01:11:02 pm »
MW PWP: 3 scenes

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/43389.html

It's a real pity we don't have drool smilies ~ they are so so needed for this update. OMFG H! This was beyond HOT and I really didn't know what to do with myself after I had read it. I felt so weak! LOL!

THANK YOU!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

one_of_one

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2007, 02:38:17 pm »
Going Home phone call: Valentine's Day 2007

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/45123.html

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2007, 03:08:28 pm »
Going Home phone call: Valentine's Day 2007

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/45123.html

Stupid winds!!  >:(

I LOVE  and ADORE your utterly sweet Ennis; he's so strong and supportive for Jack even though he's just as cut up as Jack is.
Love these guys, SO SO much. Love you for giving them to us   :-* I can only imagine how sweeeeet is going to be when they are finally together again. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2007, 01:22:32 am »
Love these guys, SO SO much. Love you for giving them to us   :-* I can only imagine how sweeeeet is going to be when they are finally together again.

Ditto! I love this story  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2007, 03:54:01 pm »
Hey Helen, that was lovely, can't wait to read more! I wonder how it's gonna be for them when they see each other again. Ennis being his own restrained self... :)

one_of_one

« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2007, 04:18:44 pm »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:59 pm »
This chapter was so sweet - well of course it was Valentine's Day so it's an apt description. I'm so glad "we" get the weekend together.  ;) Leslie K

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2007, 03:42:02 am »
SO much loveliness, as always   :)  I could just feel Jack's nervous anticipation at getting back with Ennis again, you wrote that so wel. Aww to his sweaty hands and sick nervous feeling;  I can really get how he must be feeling. I swear, when he finally got there my hands were sweaty too! 
The whole trip up to Ennis's house was described so beautifully with such eye for detail - that's one of the things I so love about your writing - the description of the moors, the mountains and the sea was absolutely lovely   :)  Love how you had Jack watching the setting sun:

Jack closed his eyes, the disappearing rays of sunlight casting a golden glow across his face.

Lovely   :)

And Ennis's first reaction...that was just perfectly Ennis. You NEVER get them wrong. It's always just how it should be. And their kiss! Omg, so much passion and longing *swoons* 

This is so absolutely gorgeous to me *sigh* I'm just in Heaven that they are back together again:

Jack shunted himself off the settee and knee-walked over to Ennis, coming to rest behind him and wrapping his arms round his narrow waist. "I was so !@#$ gutted Ennis," he murmured into Ennis's hair, nuzzling at the back of his neck and resting his head on Ennis's shoulder     

Love LOVED Jack cooking and setting the table like that! And their gifts for each other were just perfect! Ennis's gift to Jack just squeezed my heart, how utterly lovely. I can just see him working away at it, night after night, just for his Jack    The ox symbol is perfect, so right  And the halter for Sage was the best idea ever! I loved Ennis's reaction, loved how perfectly you wrote that   :)
Their loving was wonderful, loved how Jack took charge like that. You know how I love a Forceful!Jack LOL  ::)  ;D

But I'm crushed now   :'(  Their first evening together and Ennis gets called out!!!!! *SIGH* Oh well....hope he gets back soon and I must say I do love him for doing this volunteer work  :)   Well done for thinking of this  :) Yet another thing I love about this story; it sure isn't predictable! Loved how Jack put the porch light on to welcome Ennis back; a truly lovely sweet little touch   :)  Jack putting the star back in the window was wonderful too   :)

SO looking forward to tonight!  This chapter will be on my mind for a long long time. I loved it. So much. Sometimes it's just scary how much!   :D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2007, 09:52:52 am »
Jack shunted himself off the settee and knee-walked over to Ennis, coming to rest behind him and wrapping his arms round his narrow waist. "I was so !@#$ gutted Ennis," he murmured into Ennis's hair, nuzzling at the back of his neck and resting his head on Ennis's shoulder     

Oh June, I loved that line too... there were so many great ones in this chapter...

this story just does something to me that I can't describe. From the very first chapter it's been something really special. I love it Helen! There is something about the combination of your writing style, their almost isolation every time they are together, those lonely moors and the constant storm and the warmth of the fireplace, it just grabs my heart. I love it.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2007, 01:40:35 pm »
Oh June, I loved that line too... there were so many great ones in this chapter...

this story just does something to me that I can't describe. From the very first chapter it's been something really special. I love it Helen! There is something about the combination of your writing style, their almost isolation every time they are together, those lonely moors and the constant storm and the warmth of the fireplace, it just grabs my heart. I love it.

..and I agree with all of the above!  :-*

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Some Sweet Life
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2007, 03:48:51 pm »
Afternoon.

Have read MW and GH and enjoyed both of them very much.  Different settings, different times, yet similar feelings and needs for Jack and Ennis to come to terms with. 

But, I need a SSW fix!! Want to see how Jack and Ennis of 1963 deal with being 19 in a new State, new commitment to each other, new responsibilities, new problems to overcome.  Looking forward to that. When can we expect it??!!

Thanks again for writing so much and so well.  You have a gift which we all appreciate.  Waiting patiently....

one_of_one

« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2007, 05:17:42 pm »

one_of_one

« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2007, 05:19:07 pm »
Link to fic status on all fics:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/42284.html

Sorry cwby30, there will be no more SSL  :(

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
SSL
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2007, 02:12:49 pm »
Mornin'.

With others, sorry to read that you decided not to continue with it.  But, it happens, and your other stories are very good.

Can you provide the link to the rewritten Chapter 6?  Would like to compare it to what I read before, so I can have the completed version. 

Thanks...and keep on writing!!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2007, 02:32:02 pm »

Ohh, mine too, Mandy! I'm completely in love with this story. And I admire and appreciate H so so much for writing it and spending so much time getting it as perfect as every chapter always is  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2007, 02:40:22 pm »
Chapter Nine of Going Home:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/46453.html

Another unbelievebly beautiful chapter H   :)   Have I ever told you how much I love this story??  :D  I'm SO in love with this Jack and Ennis; they are so perfectly right for each other and you show us that so so well :)I just adore them going to bed together at night and waking up together again in the morning. Lovely   :)

The shower scene was exceptionally beautiful   :)  Wow. I loved Jack taking care of Ennis like that and even going out afterwards to take care of Sage and the chickens even though he was dead on his feet too. Loved the gentle, loving way you wrote that. Beautiful   :) 

Also loved their slow, wet kiss and their lovely relaxed morning loving *sigh* 

Jack helping out on the farm like this makes me really happy although I don't know if he'll continue to like doing it. I like to think he will...Wishful thinking, maybe....*sigh*
I'm glad Jack picked up on how worried and insecure Ennis is as to how different their ways of living are and hopefully he managed to reassure him a bit.
I loved these lines, I want it to stay this way forever!:

Later that day, when all the animals had been tended to and put away for the night, when dinner had been eaten and plates washed and put away, when the sun had set and the evening was advanced they sat together on the settee, the fire blazing in the grate, Ennis snuggled up in front of Jack, his back against Jack's chest, head tucked under his chin, Jack with his arms wrapped his arms around Ennis.   

And these lines were wonderful, great fun to read. I just adore them when they act like this *melts* 

"Good." Jack twisted the tea towel and smacked it against Ennis's backside.

"Ow! What the f*** was that for?"

Jack laughed. "Just couldn't resist." He hung the towel on the hook and grabbed hold of Ennis's buttocks, squeezing them hard.

Ennis twisted away. "Get off."

"No." Jack made a grab for Ennis again, but the other man swung out of the way and rounded behind Jack, grabbing his arms and holding him up against the sink.

"Yeah, what you going to do now, Ennis?" Jack tried to wriggle out of the hard grasp but Ennis held him firm, pinning his legs up against the unit. Jack pushed back, making Ennis stumble, then ran out into the hallway.

"Catch me!" he shouted as he opened the door into the porch. Ennis was coming after him, moving swiftly, and Jack got as far as his car before Ennis grabbed him by the shoulders, swivelled him and pushed him hard against the back of the Land Rover. He panted as Ennis kissed him, mouth hard and eager against his own. Then Ennis pulled away, as abruptly as he'd begun.

"You're mental."

Jack grinned. "If you say so.

I look forward to them picking out a sweet little puppy together!! So cute! 

I really wonder how all of this is going to play out....I'm just so so happy both of them have each other in their lives now, especially Ennis. That fills my heart with so much joy. You have given me the best gift ever by writing GH and I hope you never ever stop writing and that you'll keep sharing your brilliant talent with all of us. What more can I say, H? This was just amazingly beautiful  :-*  :-* 
Last chapter tonight.....    :'(  :'(  :'( 

mvansand76

« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2007, 05:48:09 pm »
Another unbelievebly beautiful chapter H   :)   Have I ever told you how much I love this story??  :D  I'm SO in love with this Jack and Ennis; they are so perfectly right for each other and you show us that so so well :)I just adore them going to bed together at night and waking up together again in the morning. Lovely   :)

I so agree! As I already told Helen on her livejournal, it feels so natural for them to be together, it's as if they have known each other for years and years and years.

one_of_one

« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2007, 08:15:50 pm »

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2007, 09:27:39 pm »
Now we wait with baited breath for another holiday, Jack needs to move in with Ennis and then look for a job near the island. I hate the separations almost as much as J&E do. BUT I loving Going Home!  ;D

one_of_one

Re: SSL
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2007, 09:44:09 pm »
Mornin'.

With others, sorry to read that you decided not to continue with it.  But, it happens, and your other stories are very good.

Can you provide the link to the rewritten Chapter 6?  Would like to compare it to what I read before, so I can have the completed version. 

Thanks...and keep on writing!!

Chapters Five and Six are in this single post:

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/47794.html

mvansand76

« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2007, 12:30:34 pm »
Oh I am gonna read all three of them in a row, now that the third chapter is here!

one_of_one

« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »
http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/52030.html

A Going Home interim phone call:  Totality

Ennis just missed Jack too much...  :(

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2007, 01:02:22 pm »
Thanks for stopping by, Helen.   :)

I remember reading that first chapter of "Lotus Blossom" - looks like you're going to break new ground again with that one - which is always a very good thing. 

Off to read "Les Grandes Vacances" - I like it already just from the title.   ;D

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

one_of_one

« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2007, 03:01:08 pm »
GOING HOME - CHAPTER 22 - LAMMAS

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/66091.html

one_of_one

« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2007, 03:02:19 pm »
Thanks for stopping by, Helen.   :)

I remember reading that first chapter of "Lotus Blossom" - looks like you're going to break new ground again with that one - which is always a very good thing. 

Off to read "Les Grandes Vacances" - I like it already just from the title.   ;D

Thanks,
Marie

Hi Marie :)

All being well Lotus Blossom will be updating this month...or if not it shouldn't be too long after.  It's very slow going at the moment. :)  So glad you like it. :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2007, 12:03:23 pm »
Hey Helen,

New chapter of "Going Home" was awesome, as always  (and a little unsettling?)

Great news on "Lotus Blossom" - looking forward.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

one_of_one

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2007, 01:35:03 pm »
GOING HOME - CHAPTER 23 - AUGUST 2ND 2007

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/66621.html

one_of_one

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2007, 01:36:25 pm »
Marie - thanks, I'm glad you liked it :)

x

one_of_one

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2007, 02:32:12 pm »
GOING HOME - CHAPTER 24 - 3RD AUGUST 2007

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/67047.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2007, 05:37:08 pm »
Jesus H - that was intense, Helen!   I do hope we get to visit with the boys again before Jack has to leave. 

I want this one to keep going and going ....

Thanks,
Marie

P.S.  I do love Jack's never-ending appetite! :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:44:25 pm by mariez »

one_of_one

« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2007, 08:03:54 am »
Jesus H - that was intense, Helen!   I do hope we get to visit with the boys again before Jack has to leave. 

I want this one to keep going and going ....

Thanks,
Marie

P.S.  I do love Jack's never-ending appetite! :laugh:

Jack and his food!   :laugh:  Where does it all go?

Glad you enjoyed this one Marie - I've been planning it since february so it was great to actually get it down on paper and let rip! :)

one_of_one

« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2007, 01:16:39 pm »
GOING HOME - CHAPTER 25 - 4TH AUGUST 2007

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/67151.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:04 pm »
Marking my calendar for "a few weeks"  :)  I think Ennis is ready to handle anything now.  Jack is coming - for good - and that's all he really needs. 

Thanks, Helen

Marie

one_of_one

« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2007, 02:48:06 pm »
LES GRANDES VACANCES - 1re semaine

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/67665.html

The posting schedule for this story is weekly, every Monday in August.  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:22:51 pm by *Helen* »

one_of_one

« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2007, 11:13:43 am »
I have updated my journal with a lot of old writing which I was intending to edit, but which I have never got around to carrying out.

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/

Everything is tagged.

one_of_one

« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2007, 12:37:36 pm »
Les Grandes Vacances - 2me semaine

http://1-of-one.livejournal.com/70977.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2007, 01:32:49 pm »
Thanks for both links, Helen.  Great news.   :)

Marie

one_of_one

« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2007, 05:31:45 am »
Hi everyone :)

*sigh*

I was going to wait until Les Grandes Vacances was finished, but i just feel I have to get it over with now.  I'll be deleting my account here on Bettermost and at EnnisJack...by the time you read this I won't be here anymore.

I feel that it's time for me to move on from writing within the fandom.  But please don't worry - I am finishing Going Home and Les Grandes Vacances.  These will both be posted as scheduled.  My other work, however, will not. 

The reasons for this are many and varied, but basically, just as I don't see THE Jack and Ennis when writing Going Home...I most definitely don't see them when I am writing LGV.  I recently saw a picture of Jack in the film and it gave me such a shock, because "my" Jacques is nothing like that at all.  And it gave me pause to think about everything else I am writing.  In Lotus Blossom I am struggling because I want my characters to look different, to act differently, and trying to write them within the confines of the BBM fandom is proving near impossible.  Likewise, I had ideas for another story where the characters were different again, and I found myself beginning to resent Jack and Ennis, resent the fandom, resent my readers, because of this. 

And that is so totally wrong!  I don't want to feel that way about anyone or anything.  After long, hard thought I have come to the conclusion that I must accept that I want to write about other people.  Also, when I was putting up all my old work and reading my canon stories I felt extremely bad about what I was doing to Jack and Ennis by means of writing the AUs and AU!AUs.  Who I am writing about is not the two characters in the short story or the film.  Their tragedy feels diminished by me writing them as other people.  It feels wrong to be using them in this way and I have to stop.  If I have to write then I have to write original characters who happen to be 15 year old slutty flirty boys, or drug addicts, or tractor salesmen from Glasgow.  Or taxi drivers and asians.  Or whatever.  Or I have to write canon, there's no inbetween for me now.

I think by trying to escape the pain of their story I have gone so completely in the opposite direction that they are not who they were to me.

Finally, to those of you who were reading Twilight by black_baldie - that's me.  And I know I said only a couple of days ago that I would be continuing, chances are that I won't.  Unless I change the names and post it as original fiction.  I am also texas_bluebird.  Someone wondered if it was me writing Twilight and thus set in a lie which hangs heavy with me. 

I truly do appreciate all the support and feedback everyone has given me over the past year and a third...I never would have thought when I wrote my first little story about what happened after Jack died (Closure) that I would end up with the colossus that is Going Home or any of the other stories I have penned over time.  And I never would have thought that so many people would have enjoyed what I was writing.  It's been, for the most part, such a wonderful experience.

All my BBM writing is either on my 1_of_one journal, or linked to via that journal.  I have disabled comments on everything, and will no longer be enabling them for any of my updates.  I have wrestled with myself about doing this, but for now I need a clean break.  I'm so sorry to deny anyone who wants to say something to me, but I can't think of a way round the fact that right now I just need and want not to interact with anyone.  I'm sorry. :(

I hope you continue to enjoy the last two chapters of LGV and the remaining story of Jack and Ennis in Going Home.  I'm truly sorry if me doing what I'm doing affects that enjoyment. :(

Best wishes to you all

Helen xxxxx

(btw I am not a member of the DC, and am unable to join as my ISP has been banned (!), so if anyone there wishes to know what is happening then please feel free to copy this post in whole or in part so they are not left in the dark.  Thanks)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2007, 07:40:26 am »
((Helen))

Just wanted to say thank you for the fics you've given us, and wish you luck with the writing you'll do in future. I respect your decision. I understand it. ( In a recent discussion I was actually wondering whether to raise the question of distance between fic and canon characterization, but decided not to.) I think much of BBM fanfic has moved considerably from the OS premise and characters, - not necessarily making the OS's inspiration any less real or felt, nor the fic writing any less powerful, but the direct tie between the two becoming ever more tenuous.

At some point I suppose it becomes logical, however painful, to cut loose.

Again, best of luck with your writing in future.  :)

PS: Your post has been copied over at DC, since you said that was OK.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2007, 01:51:49 pm »
I understand Helen's decision, I'm thankful for her stories, and I'm pleased she's going to continue.  I'm sorry she's no longer able to hear our appreciation, but I also understand her need for some quiet time.

Marie

Scott6373

« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2007, 03:49:55 pm »
I completely understand everything Helen has written.  Though I have not read her stories, the same questions and ghosts have plagued me since writing my own, and the decision to continue after many months of nothing.  Helen, close doors, but please do not lock them :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:20 pm »
Helen, I'm not sure if you'll see this message, but I just wanted to thank you for all the encouragement you've given me over the past year.  You've definitely affected the life of at least one person in the fandom in a very positive way.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:45 pm »
Helen, I'm not sure if you'll see this message, but I just wanted to thank you for all the encouragement you've given me over the past year.  You've definitely affected the life of at least one person in the fandom in a very positive way.

xx DITTO   :-*

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2007, 02:21:27 pm »
Hi Helen!  (on the off chance you may pop in and read this)

Just wanted to say I sympathize with your need for a clean break.....

Thank you for already having shared so much with us.

No matter what you write, or who your characters are, I would love the opportunity to continue reading, if you feel inclined to keep sharing with us, of course. (finished product, half finished product, whatever)

I guess my point is, your fans are your fans.  We'll still be your fans, no matter what you write.  (And I think you should write whatever you feel the need to write, no need to feel locked in by Brokeback Mountain)

Good luck with everything!  I'll miss you!
Kelly