Author Topic: Your OTHER orientation  (Read 12057 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Your OTHER orientation
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:39:58 pm »
I thought about phrasing it this way: which do you prefer, scooping up poop from a box in your house, or picking up fresh poop with a bagged hand?  But I thought I might give away my opinion.  Not that I mind.  You can probably see that's no orange tabby-dog on that radiator.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Your OTHER orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:58:21 pm »
Sarah -

I think you know all about me on this one....

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 04:02:37 pm »
Aaaaaaaaahhh!
The second one!

I'm gonna bust with love.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:17:19 pm »
Allow me to be the first official Dog Person to cast my vote here.  I have nothing against cats (except my extreme allergy to their dander) and grew up with several different ones, all of whom I loved dearly.  But I've found that the cats I loved the most were more like dogs than cats.  Mario, for example, would greet me at the door when I came home from school and curl up at my feet while I did my homework or read the paper.  He was by far my favorite.  But my dogs were always my babies.  I miss and mourn each and every one of them like long-lost friends.  I like the musty way a (clean) dog smells - kind of like grass.  I like the way they wag their tails and follow me around a house.  And I like a *big* dog, although I can see the allure of having one small enough to curl up on your lap.

Yep.  Make mine a dawg.  I'll take two, in fact.
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:20:46 pm »
Barb, I must admit that Henry the cat has opened my mind and heart a little wider to dogs, because he IS quite a dog.  Very social, follows me around, greets me at the door.  He also has a total unselfconsciousness that reminds me more of dogs than of other cats, and lastly he has the coloring of a Pembroke corgi, hence one of his nicknames, Corgicat.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:26:21 pm »
Barb, I must admit that Henry the cat has opened my mind and heart a little wider to dogs, because he IS quite a dog.  Very social, follows me around, greets me at the door.  He also has a total unselfconsciousness that reminds me more of dogs than of other cats, and lastly he has the coloring of a Pembroke corgi, hence one of his nicknames, Corgicat.

I like that - total unselfconsciousness - that's *exactly* what Mario had.  He was a black and white domestic, and he was named for his one cat-like behavior: tearing through the house from one end to the other and back again at warp speed (so my parents named him Mario after Mario Andretti, the Indy car racer).  He also returned balls and sticks and would jump off the break wall into the lake after the big maple leaves that fell from our tree into it and swim his way out with one in his mouth like a Golden Retriever.  Man, I miss him.  I think about him as often as I do my dearly departed dogs, but he's the only one out of seven cats I've had that I think of in that way.
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:12:30 pm »

BIG dog lover here!  Of course there's nothing wrong with cats, I'm just terribly allergic to them.  Rabbits and all rodent like creatures as well.  So it's dogs, fish and birds at our house.  I have a personal revulsion for reptiles so no lizards, snakes or frogs in my house.  ::)

This is Bailey the puppy we got him for Dave when he was born, he had gotten into the mud and was being scolded.  Stephen, my husband, trained him to get his own leash and then walk with it in his mouth at Stephen's side so techincally he was not breaking the leash law. Silly man loved to get tickets for not leashing the dog so he could go to court and make his point.   ::)   Darlin dog big goofy and clueless, we adored him.

This is Princess Peaches, my first mini dachshund and the canine love of my life, my little soul mate.  I swear she understood every word I ever said to her.  Amazing dog incredibly intelligent, intuiative and loving.

and this is Miss Sassie, the little girl who brightens my life right now, don't let that sweet innocent look fool you, she's a pistol.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:37:44 am by vkm91941 »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:45:25 am »
I'm the first "bi-animal" vote *lol* 

I love both cats and dogs (and birds, fish, rodents, farm animals etc.) for various reasons. 

Cats:  We have two right now.  Petunia is your typical cat - talks to you when she wants you, lays with you when she feels like it, bites you when her mood strikes.  She's independent and lovely.  Peyton is a dog in a cats clothing.  He plays fetch with tennis balls, greets us at the door, and will sit in your lap when you want him.  Cats in general though are able to entertain themselves and are fairly self sufficient.  You don't need to board your cat if you are going away for the night - which is a huge plus! 

Dogs:  They are special in their own way.  The bark when there are intruders, they do funny things like steal your spouses hamburger off of their plate, they at least allow you to pretend like you are in charge sometimes (as opposed to cats!) and they are always happy for your attention.

All animals and pets have a place in my heart.  Each has their own personality and enlightens your life in different ways.  Each also finds their own path to your heart. 

I love animals :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline dannyboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 08:06:14 am »

dogs are cool

my dog saved my life once. it stopped to have a poo on the side of the road when i was out jogging and my headphones were up real loud and i would never have heard the car that came flying around the corner and would have collected me if sam didn't need to do her business.

i don't look unfavourably on dog poo anymore either  :P

Offline JT

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:36:09 pm »
I love pets but can not have them in my house.  I just don't like to take care of them.  The kitten and puppy pictures are just too cute.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:53:44 pm »
I voted bi-animal. We have a dog and a cat right now. I'm typing this with only my right hand (and it's really hard!) because my little dog is curled up on my left arm. I actually don't like dogs quite as much as cats, but I LOVE my dog. She's the first dog I ever really liked.

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 04:55:02 pm »
I thought I'd post this video I found here for all you cat lovers.  Made me laugh til I cried and it's really cute!

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=24b22dad-6cee-4463-81cd-ff637c28b824&f=06/64&fg=email

Enjoy  :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 07:24:05 pm »
I love all animals, but I love cats more [little heart here] - coffeeCAT33

Here are some photos of my pets

YaadPyar - your kitties are just too cute!!

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 07:43:30 pm »
I'm another one who voted bi-animal.  My dogs are larger than most of my horses but they still try and sit in my lap!LOL  They make very good hot water bottles but a large bed is advisable otherwise you tend to end up being pushed to a far corner.  Here is a photo of my favourite Scottish Deerhound.

Here is a photo of his grandchildren taken just after they were born 2 weeks ago.  Must take more photos of them today.  They're growing quickly, have just begun to walk properly in the past couple of days and their eyes are nearly open.

One of my Borzoi taken last year when he was only a youngster.  His coat has grown since then.

Here are a couple of my Miniature horses.

Here is my young Andalusian stallion showing off earlier this year.  He has filled out a lot since then.  He's one of the official mascots for Jess's feedstore thread.  Tonight he is in a stallion parade which should be fun.

I've had cats in the past and have wanted a Birman since I was a child.  Oh well, one day....

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 12:22:08 am »
I also love all animals, but I'm a cat person by personality.

I have a adorable black kitten named Vivien!  She just turn 1 year old last month.
 :-*
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 01:34:06 am »
I'm bi, but our cat Poonie wen to a new home a couple of months ago because of my allergies to her.  But you know what I discovered - parakeets.  Have a parakeet bond with you and you have all the conversation and intimacy you could want.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 12:42:55 am »
I guess I had to be "bi-" something...  ;) so lucky for me I love cats AND dogs.  Have a houseful of both.  St. Bernards, a blind & bossy cocker spaniel, and a teeming mongol horde of cats keep me practicing for the Doody Cleaning Olympics, Indoor AND Outdoor divisions!  Does this make me biscoopual? 
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 03:37:30 pm »
I'm another one who voted bi-animal.  My dogs are larger than most of my horses but they still try and sit in my lap!LOL  They make very good hot water bottles but a large bed is advisable otherwise you tend to end up being pushed to a far corner.  Here is a photo of my favourite Scottish Deerhound.

One of my Borzoi taken last year when he was only a youngster.  His coat has grown since then.

Hi ffrn, I couldn't help noticing your beautiful Scottish deerhound and your Borzoi! We used to have an Afghan Hound, his name was Muscha. I am still a dog-person and have been considering having another Afghan Hound, Saluki or Irish Wolfhound or Deerhound...I am still trying to decide. Some people have tried talking us out of it, but the more I think about it, the surer I am that we need a dog!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 01:18:02 am »
I am a "bi animal" or whatever it was called. I love all animals... well, almost all animals.

Hi ffrn, I couldn't help noticing your beautiful Scottish deerhound and your Borzoi! We used to have an Afghan Hound, his name was Muscha. I am still a dog-person and have been considering having another Afghan Hound, Saluki or Irish Wolfhound or Deerhound...I am still trying to decide. Some people have tried talking us out of it, but the more I think about it, the surer I am that we need a dog!  :)

Melissa tsk, tsk, tsk! Cody the dog hasn't convinced you yet? Good luck honey! Dogs are wonderful pets, but they are a lot of work! May the Spirit of Snoopy be with you!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 02:07:18 am »

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!

Those cats are soooooo cute!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 06:20:23 am »
Melissa tsk, tsk, tsk! Cody the dog hasn't convinced you yet? Good luck honey! Dogs are wonderful pets, but they are a lot of work! May the Spirit of Snoopy be with you!  :)

;D Nah... Cody still has to convince me by showing some mature and sensible behavior... ;) Whaddayathink, an Irish Wolfhound for us?

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 06:53:50 am »

Hi Melissa, You definitely need a Deerie!!  Much more elegant than a Wolfie and not as inclined to disappear on you as a Saluki.  They're all sighthounds with sighthound natures so if you've had Afghans before you know what to expect.  Deeries make much better house dogs than those horrible little yap yaps.  They tend to sleep all day and you don't have to bend over to pat them!!  ;D ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 06:58:03 am »
They tend to sleep all day and you don't have to bend over to pat them!!  ;D ;D

That's definitely a good reason!  ;D My boyfriend and I were talking about it all night after I showed him your pictures. We have a small house and a small garden, though, so I am not sure if it's a good idea, what do you think?

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 07:04:06 am »
That's definitely a good reason!  ;D My boyfriend and I were talking about it all night after I showed him your pictures. We have a small house and a small garden, though, so I am not sure if it's a good idea, what do you think?

One of the pups from my last Deerhound litter was bought by a couple who live in a small house with a very small garden in the middle of Sydney and she is thriving.  The owners take her to the park every day for a run and the rest of the time she just lays about the house.   Puppies can be boisterous and very destructive but once you survive their puppyhood they are very well suited to city life.  Just make sure they are exercised.  Even if you had a large backyard you would still have to walk them as they would just find a corner of the yard and go to sleep.

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 07:21:48 am »
Even if you had a large backyard you would still have to walk them as they would just find a corner of the yard and go to sleep.

Oh My God, that is adorable!!!! You really are convincing me! We had an Afghan Hound and Saluki at the same time and they were quite a team together! They were always running through the street causing mayhem, they also loved the beach. Then when they came home, all they did was lie on the couch. Once they even peed through the couch!  ::) Gosh, I still miss them every day...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 06:18:18 am »
More of a cat person these days - I live my two fluffy kitties!!!!

But I'd say I'm still Bi!!

The only reason I don't have a dog is cos they are too tying - you can leave cats for a day or sos and they'll be just fine with their dry food left out and the cat flap to get in and out.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 11:31:16 pm »
Ah, but having a dog (especially a BIG, gentle dog) is so worth it...

<--- feeling nostalgic this evening

No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Excerpts from our pets' diaries!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 04:01:50 am »
I just put my kitties birthday on the calendar because I saw David925 has Cody's birthday on there!  I'm not letting him get one up on me!  :D ::)

Also, got this from my office-matie who has a sweet black lab named Keechul...

Excerpts from a Dog's and Cat's Daily Diary

Excerpts from a Dog's Daily Diary:
8:00am: Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30am: A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40am: Walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30am: Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00pm: Lunch! My favorite thing!
1:00pm: Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00pm: Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00pm: Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00pm: Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00pm: Wow! Watched TV with my master! My favorite thing!
11:00pm: Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary:
Day 683 of my captivity: My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and myself are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the floor.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at theirr feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into thei r hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

The audacity! There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event.  However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released --and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded! The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. The captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe....... for now...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:22 am »

I love dogs and cats both, but i have such and allergy to cats..I have a dog instead...truth is though, he is not my dog
he is my husbands dog..They are madly in love with each other.  I am merely the lady in the house, that is available for
needed activity..Just filling dishes, and making food..                                                               Janice

Beautiful mind

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 11:09:21 am »
I'm allergic to cats, so I'm not a cat person. I always wanted a dog when I was younger but my friend has one and it smells bad and is really annoying. I like the idea of having a pet, but I don't want one in my house.....which is lucky really 'cos my parents would never let me have one anyway.
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today