Author Topic: How many times? (New version!)  (Read 7534 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How many times? (New version!)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 01:25:57 pm »
I notice that at the moment there are zero votes in the over-100 category, even though I happen to know there are some people who can claim that distinction. Maybe they just haven't visited this poll yet. But those of you to whom this applies, in the interest of scientific research, please vote (anonymously, if you choose  ;))!

The count in the 51 to 100 category ain't what I'd hoped for, neither.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 01:40:02 pm »
I own the DVD (actually three copies of it.), but I have yet to watch it completely on any of them, it is still a raw and deeply emotional experience for me (every moment of it), but it is even more meaningful when it is watched with other Brokies... I have seen the film a total of 28 times, counting seeing it in Atlanta, and at a Dallas Brokie get-together.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 07:59:42 pm »
Well all right.  I'll vote "more than 100".  I was still visiting the "old version" and have not seen this one yet.  But to be honest, I lost count after 90.  I still can't recite it word-for-word but I know what they will say next. 

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 12:43:16 am »

Well hell, am I the only who will report being de-sentsitized by over-watching?   :(    Much to my dismay, that is the feeling I have, and I think I *only* watched it 30 or 40 times, (I wasn't counting).  I saw it only one time on the big screen, and then I bought the DVD two days later.  The second viewing clinched it for me, and I became an instant Brokaholic.  I then watched it almost every night for about month, give or take.  By the time I was warned not to desensitize myself, (by Amanda or Katherine, I forget who) it was already too late.  And now I have weaned myself from watching it, but the overexposure has not dimmed.  And I won't watch YouTube either, for that is a sure-fire way to kill the wonder of those captivating scenes.  Anyway, not much I can do about it now....

Just for a treat I watched it again last week, after about a month of not seeing it, and it is still way to over-familiar to me.  I don't know how I am ever gonna fix this problem....  Does anyone else feel this way about over-exposure, or am I the only one??   ???

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 05:31:35 pm »
Does anyone else feel this way about over-exposure, or am I the only one??   ???

I'm on the edge of it, Jane, so I'm trying to be really careful. And I've seen it "only" about 17 times (if you don't count bits and pieces on YouTube -- I'm not going to say how many of those ;D). I don't own it, I rent it, and watch it just once or twice while I have it. But I noticed that the past couple of times, I was feeling ever so slightly less engaged, a bit less emotional, and it scared me. So I am going to wait for a while before I rent it again.

It ain't all the movie's fault, though -- I think discussing the most minute nuances and details of every moment of the film for seven hours a day for the past nine months may have played a part. Not to mention thinking about it constantly over the same period.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 08:04:58 pm »
I think discussing the most minute nuances and details of every moment of the film for seven hours a day for the past nine months may have played a part.

I go weeks without partaking of the yummy, yummy yumminess in the Open Forum analysis threads.  I visit the list of them nearly every day, and look to see which ones are growing, but don't dive in.  And then one day, I'm ready for a BBMfest, and I read 4 or 5 long threads full of insight all the way through.  By the time I get to them, so much has been said that there isn't usually too much for me to add except to express my praise and gratitude for the wisdom and humor therein.

So I thank you stolid hardworking, industrious ants who trudge on through the observation and analysis day after day, so that I, a silly grasshopper, can infrequently savor and chow down on your glorious, impressive gleanings.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 12:48:50 am »
My theater viewings are at about 18 or so-I'd have to check with Nipith  ;D and my home viewings no more than 3 from beginning to end. I feel "guilty" just watching the first half hour but I confess to doing just that. I loved the theater experience-the anticipation was just plain joyful. Somewhere along the line, though, the movie became too emeshed with the stressful time taking care of my father and it just made me sad.

I got home, got the DVD-okay, the DVDs, watched a couple of times and got incredibly sad about a week later. Lately I've felt the fellas calling (could be all the anniversary celebrating) so took a chance and watched the first half hour. Yep, I got sad about a week later but I'm now okay with that.

The excitement has certainly mellowed but my connection has not. I have never felt this way about a movie for Pete Tannen's sake! Nor have I ever fallen in love with fictional characters! I watch and am just transported by the beauty of the cinematography, the perfection of Gustavo's score and the melancholy of the boy's relationship. It still fills me with wonder-every time.

O0

Heathen