Author Topic: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC  (Read 88722 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC
« Reply #300 on: May 10, 2006, 07:34:42 pm »
Damn indeed!

He calls himself the "Naked Cowboy".    He plays the guitar and gets his pic taken with the tourists.    They stuff money in his boots.   From what I've read, he makes a good living from it!       

Hmmm,    I should do that!    The city will pay me to stay clothed!     Ha ha ha!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #301 on: May 10, 2006, 10:04:50 pm »
Damn indeed!

He calls himself the "Naked Cowboy".    He plays the guitar and gets his pic taken with the tourists.    They stuff money in his boots.   From what I've read, he makes a good living from it!       

Hmmm,    I should do that!    The city will pay me to stay clothed!     Ha ha ha!  :laugh:

Tell you what, I can think of a more fun place than his boots to stuff money.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2006, 10:44:02 pm »
Well, well, well, I'd heard about the Naked Cowboy, but I didn't realize he was so....gifted.  ;)  Perhaps we should invite him to the next Broncho.  :D

Friends, John Gallagher sends his love to you all!  Jenny and I met him for drinks over near Grand Central, and we talked for two solid hours about all things Brokeback.  He's a very young 50-something with beautiful long silver grey hair and a fabulous smile and is as funny and sweet in person as he is online.  When I get my pictures back in a couple of weeks (I have to use up the roll of film) you'll see for yourselves what a hottie he is!  ;D

He's doing really well and is in good spirits.   Some words don't come easily to him, but by and large you'd never know he had had a stroke only three weeks ago.  He says he still has a lot of trouble reading, but for some reason Leslie's fanfic is an exception!  ;D  He is working several times a week with a very good therapist and will eventually be having a procedure (non-invasive) to close a hole in his heart that is a potential danger if he has a clot again.

Celeste called and chatted briefly, and we left a message for Clarissa.  I gave John a bag of Anke's gummi candies, a miniature sheep and coyote from Sarah, a bandanna, and pictures of the gang at the Broncho, and Jenny brought two little silver cowboy hats for his key chain.  He hasn't figured out how to listen to the audio yet, but he will soon.

We talked about how much we would have loved to go to Alberta this summer, but since it can't happen this year, we definitely want to go next year.  In the meantime, Central Park will have to fill in for Moose Mountain.  We're going to do a picnic one of these days when the weather's nice.  Anybody know a good place to buy elk meat sandwiches?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #303 on: May 10, 2006, 10:54:39 pm »
Yes, it was a very fine time, a wonderful time. I felt so much love coming from this man, for our community, and for what brought us together. He said he does not get frustrated because he knows he could easily have not made it at all had a friend not come over and insist that he go to the hospital.

I agree with Meryl--he is doing great! And I told him so quite a few times, and I really mean that. I can't wait to see him again, no matter what the circumstances.

We love you John! Them Chilean sheep are moving back to their own heard, sure as the sun rises and sets everyday.

Now about them elk meat sandwiches...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:58:34 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #304 on: May 10, 2006, 10:55:11 pm »
Anybody know a good place to buy elk meat sandwiches?  ;D

Hi Meryl !  

Glad to hear that John is doing so well!     We'll definately have to get the group together in NY again someday.

I'm not sure where to get Elk meat, but the Skylight Diner on the corner of 9th and 34th street serves a great Bison Burger!  

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #305 on: May 10, 2006, 11:21:22 pm »
I posted my recollections of tonight here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=909.msg24681#new

For those of you who lurk, or haven't made personal connections with others here yet, I can only encourage you to take inspiration from Jack - the beauty and wonder of these relationships are extraordinary. 

Reach out a hand (maybe not like Jack did in the first tent scene  ;D), but you might be surprised at who reaches back.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2006, 02:09:20 am »
A whole lotta lovin' goin' on....

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #307 on: May 11, 2006, 07:54:50 am »

He says he still has a lot of trouble reading, but for some reason Leslie's fanfic is an exception!  ;D 

I am so humbled by this, I am about to cry.

L
xox
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #308 on: May 11, 2006, 08:38:53 am »
I am so humbled by this, I am about to cry.

L
xox

Leslie - John was saying how familiar ideas are easiest for him to grasp.  New information is just really foreign and his brain has little facility for comprehending it.  But, apparently, his BBM friends and memories are so deep that they are very easy for him.

And he said that when he could read/understand almost nothing, he could still read your stories.  He wasn't sure why, but it was the one thing he was still enjoying.  And that he was keeping it a secret from his therapist!!!!  The secrets we keep in the name of BBM!

I would have posted it, but thought for some reason you knew of it.

Celeste
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2006, 08:44:01 am »
Leslie - John was saying how familiar ideas are easiest for him to grasp.  New information is just really foreign and his brain has little facility for comprehending it.  But, apparently, his BBM friends and memories are so deep that they are very easy for him.

And he said that when he could read/understand almost nothing, he could still read your stories.  He wasn't sure why, but it was the one thing he was still enjoying.  And that he was keeping it a secret from his therapist!!!!  The secrets we keep in the name of BBM!

I would have posted it, but thought for some reason you knew of it.

Celeste

I knew he was reading my story (he has sent me some emails) but I didn't realize all this background. Thanks for sharing, Celeste, I really appreciate this.

Hee hee hee, he's keeping it a secret from his therapist? I bet I know why... ;)

Leslie
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!